The Death of Common Sense

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Re: The Death of Common Sense

Postby Crowth » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:24 pm

Yawn.
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby jdcarra » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:50 pm

LenMac wrote:
jdcarra wrote:I notice the post last night by "Lenmac" has disappeared.

How convenient of you to overlook the fact that the main post "The Death Of Common Sense" was also deleted. If you want to wear GG's knickers JD, that's up to you boy, but I think you look more the part in your oilskins! :lol:

Sorry 'Lenmac', i gave up the oilskins years ago when I retired from the fishing.GG knickers,don't think they would fit my butt,could have a try,but then i'm not into that :lol:.

I see you have deleted wording form another posting,bit of a habit getting.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Crowth » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:10 pm

Lenmac,

My post was not aimed at your goodself, a fact that went way over your head and you had to try to have a go at me. I say 'try' because you made a mess of your second edit, but the intent was clear. I never saw your original post, the one which was deleted. Nor did I see GG's original post the first time around, I merely saw it after it had been reposted and it amused me. Your tiny brain put two and two together and came up with horse sh*t. In doing so there is now yet another Kintyre Forum user to add to the long list of people that has you logged as 'Waste of time, don't bother'.

And I think we both know what I mean when I say if I were you I wouldn't drive my car tomorrow, not until lunchtime at least ;)
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby glassblower » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:02 am

Govangirl, just read your posting, brilliant, wish i could have written it, i fully agree with everthing you have said.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bill » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:29 am

The Death of Common Sense
Posted on May 29, 2008 by Michael Koby
Occasionally you get a really nice forwarded email that you can’t help but share with the world.

The original author, Lori Borgman,

Below is the obituary for Common Sense:

‘Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: Knowing when to come in out of the rain; why the early bird gets the worm; Life isn’t always fair; and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended
from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an Aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an
abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, I Want It Now, Someone Else Is To Blame, and I’m A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

This e-mail has been on the go for at least three years.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby glassblower » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:57 pm

All credit to the original writer Bill, and thank you to Govangirl for sharing it as i had not seen it before. I have had e-mails from friends regarding "common sence", unfortunatly the language used in them is a "bit to strong" for a general forum, and are probably "politicaly incorrect" as well !!!!.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:38 pm

bill wrote:The Death of Common Sense
Posted on May 29, 2008 by Michael Koby
Occasionally you get a really nice forwarded email that you can’t help but share with the world.

The original author, Lori Borgman,

This e-mail has been on the go for at least three years.

It may very well have but I only received it this week and it was never my intention to have folk think I had written it myself. I was just posting it to share it with others. Glassblower, I wish I HAD written it but I can always rely on Bill to keep me right, Thanks Bill :wink:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:14 pm

NAE BOTHER DOLL :wink:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LenMac » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Crowth wrote:Lenmac,

My post was not aimed at your goodself, a fact that went way over your head and you had to try to have a go at me. I say 'try' because you made a mess of your second edit, but the intent was clear. I never saw your original post, the one which was deleted. Nor did I see GG's original post the first time around, I merely saw it after it had been reposted and it amused me. Your tiny brain put two and two together and came up with horse sh*t. In doing so there is now yet another Kintyre Forum user to add to the long list of people that has you logged as 'Waste of time, don't bother'.

And I think we both know what I mean when I say if I were you I wouldn't drive my car tomorrow, not until lunchtime at least ;)

I wouldn't want to drive your car any time of the day, but at least you've got good neybores.
LenMac
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EMDEE » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:37 am

To get back to the theme of this thread, as far as common sense is concerned, I thought one of the beauties I saw recently was the advice on a tin of sardines that I bought: "contains fish". :roll:

Why is information of this nature necessary? I would have thought that anyone who doesn't already know this fact should not be out shopping on their own. Even if one was dense enough to buy this product on spec., without knowing the contents, I think it would be fairly obvious that it was fish after it was opened. Even if they couldn't see that it was fish, the smell might give a clue :roll:

I understand that it is probably a legal requirement to provide this information, but exactly what kind of legal repercussions are there for a company from someone who buys a tin of sardines and does not understand that it contains fish? :?:
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mr Plod » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:24 pm

This is a brilliant post GG. It matters not a jot who penned the content - it rings true across the board.

And Emdee, that "contains fish" episode is symptomatic of just how dysfunctional our whole country is becoming. Another one is " The contents of this product were made in a factory that sometimes processes nuts" This was on the label on a jar of Anchovies lol.

I once worked with a vegan who eschewed all things animal.But happily walked the beat in leather shoes, carrying a leather handbag. She really did'nt know that leather came from animals. My surpervisor warned me that I'd be working with a Vegan prior to her arrival that week. Up till that moment I had thought a Vegan was one of the naughty aliens from Star Trek.

Sometime in the near future we will have an entire nation full of idiots who have lived their entire lives under the scrutiny of the "Health and Safety" loonies. And since this generation of malcontents will never have been exposed to danger at any time at home or in the workplace, they will have no natural defence mechanisms to protect them from themselves and each other.

I foresee a time where "Health and safety" will become an unecessary expense and it will be ditched wholesale. And that may result in an unintended "cull" of the dim and otherwise socially dysfunctional elements of society.

Already large corporations and disciplined bodies (like the Police) have realised it is cheaper to fight percieved failure to provide a duty of care ( ie They did'nt tell bob that if he stuck his fingers in the plug socket it would electrocute him etc etc) in the courts, than it is to just give them large sums of money to go away. And lo and behold, the numbers of malicious or spurious damages claims have fallen dramatically. Because "Bob" knows that the court is going to say " But Bob, even a Two-Toed Sloth on Mandrax would know that it is stupid to stick your fingers in a plug socket - you don't need to go on a "Don't stick your fingers in a plug socket training course to know that" - case dismissed - Oh,and Bob pays costs as well"

The day health and safety becomes a bad word is the day when a whole generation of idiots and malcontents, bereft of common sense and the ability to percieve danger, will be falling out of windows, frying themselves with electrical appliances and befalling other self inflicted, but wholly avoidable calamities, and will not understand how it could possibly be their own fault.

Life is a great leveller, and death is sometimes nature's way of removing the idiots from the gene pool. Eventually, since we seem to be living on swings and roundabouts, and we keep re-inventing the wheel, we will return to an age where common sense prevails. And on that day, we can confidently pick up a tin of sardines and just know, without checking the label, that it contains fish. But it might have been processed in a plant that was round the corner from some nuts lol.
Eagles may soar............but Weasels never get sucked into jet engines
Mr Plod
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bitter End » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:16 pm

For Mr Plod ---- Check oot th Darwin Awards -- named in honor of Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, the Darwin Awards commemorate those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANLgQG-VKyc

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mr Plod » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks Bitter end. I check it every year for last 10 years to see who wins. There have been some really spectacular numpties over the years who have shed the mortal coil in ways only a hollywood script writer could envision. Truly they entertain us with their novel and hitherto untried methods of self destruction. And those of us with a modicum of common sense say " Oof!! I'll remember never to do that should the occassion arise" lol
:<> :@ :lol: :@ :shock:
Eagles may soar............but Weasels never get sucked into jet engines
Mr Plod
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Previous

Return to General Chit Chat