Fag making machine

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Fag making machine

Postby Martin » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:26 am

Anyone remember these from around 1977/78 (I think) ?

An empty paper tube with a filter that fits on one end of the machine, the machine is stuffed with baccy, the lid closed and then slid along to fill the tube.
I remember them when they first came out and everybody was buying them but very few stuck with them and that was not surprising. They do say you can save money making these but if you use less baccy in it, it burns so fast that you only get around five drags out of it, if you put enough in to get a satisfying smoke the baccy doesn't last long at all.
The look of the machine has changed since the seventies but the principle is still the same and I'm really surprised that this awful thing has been resurrected, still, there's a whole new generation to be ripped off.
I didn't buy one this time around, you can't beat a good roll-up, at least you can decide how much baccy goes into it.
Smoking is a filthy habit, don't try this at home kids.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Fag making machine

Postby glassblower » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:32 pm

You are right Martin, smoking is a bad habit and i hope kids dont try it, unfortunatly when i was a kid everybody smoked. I've been a roll-up man for nearly 50 years, started with the little Rizla before graduating to my fingers, i get a Dutch blend from my local shop half fag half pipe baccy. Cant stand the smell or taste of "packet fags" but if i had my time again i wouldn't smoke.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:04 am

I used to get some Dutch stuff sent to me, I think it was called Van Nelle, a very nice, smooth smoke.
I'm using something now that is simply called "Virginia", comes in a yellow packet and is on £12:50 for 2oz.
I can't abide Old Holborn, my grandfather used to smoke that. He would wolf his food down and didn't have the courtesy to wait until we'd all finished before lighting up. He would attach the fag to his lower lip and as he talked the ash would fly everywhere. Filthy old sod !
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby glassblower » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:16 am

I used to smoke Old Holburn many years ago but for some reason (cant remember why) i went off it. I have had baccy from "abroard" and i cant get on with it, to mild. The Dutch i smoke now is £12 for 2 oz which lasts me a week so i dont think thats to bad. I know somebody just like your granddad, if we are out for a meal he will have a fag before we go in, he will order his meal and go outside for a fag while his meal comes, and i have known him to go outside between course's. I can remember that "fag machine" you mentioned but never tried one
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to General Chit Chat