The Hairy Bikers:

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

The Hairy Bikers:

Postby Iain » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:19 pm

As usual I’m probably six months too late with this..., if so please forgive me.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chefs/hairy_bikers

Saw their program on the television today..., a great show ! This time they were in Argyll cooking and eating as usual..., great laugh ! Visiting Tarbert and Kilberry (the Kilberry Inn http://www.kilberryinn.com)
http://maps.google.fr/maps?q=Kilberry+I ... =12,0,,0,0 then on to Campbeltown.

The food of course was principally fish and “smelt absolutely delicious." :lol: During the program I burnt mine of course !

Their visit to the Springbank distillery brought back memories with all that whiskey being wasted as it poured over the side of the barrel before filling a tasting glass. My Dad worked there for a short time and I distinctly remember him and a friend lighting the living room fire with the stuff. :roll:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: The Hairy Bikers:

Postby bill » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:30 pm

More like two years too late Ian :lol:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mzz pasico » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:42 am

Off thread a wee bit here, but the coal fire in our house was sometimes lit with the same spirit as you have described Iain.
My father worked at Springbank in the 50/60s.
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:00 am

Was the fire lit with breath? :D
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:57 am

bill wrote:More like two years too late Ian :lol:

:lol: I'm not surprised Bill !

Post by Mzz pasico » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:42 am
Off thread a wee bit here, but the coal fire in our house was sometimes lit with the same spirit as you have described Iain.
My father worked at Springbank in the 50/60s.

I'm really pleased that this has been confirmed by someone ! Lol ! By any chance..., do you know where this spirit came from ? At the time, I was led to understand that it was about 100% alcohol.., and it came from another part of the distilling process. Unsellable apparently as a whiskey product but great for making cocktails and using as a varnish remover. :lol:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mzz pasico » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:31 am

Think it was 100% pure alcohol IaIn, although not certain as to what part of the making process it came from, but
Hogmanays were always very happy events in our house!The word "pook" has suddenly sprung to mind. As a child,
I used to go up to "the still" to visit my Dad, either for my pocket money, or to stand and blether to him from the
lane as I watched the "flairs" (floors) being turned. I remember I was always terrified of the big vats just inside
the doors. Think there was three of them, and the noise and size of them scared me, so I would just yell Daaady
at the top o' my voice. Maybe a new topic about these memories in the history and discussion would be great to
share?! :D
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:02 pm

Mzz pasico wrote:Think it was 100% pure alcohol IaIn, Maybe a new topic about these memories in the history and discussion would be great to
share?! :D

Thanks Mzz ! I’ve copied your post and will use it later to update a dossier.

Your idea seems great ! :)
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to General Chit Chat