Machrihanish Beach

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Machrihanish Beach

Postby Mzz pasico » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:11 am

Travelled to Machrihanish beach today (Wed). Had planned to stay a couple of hours, but it was so glorious we
stayed until 6.30 in the evening. Not a breath of wind, sand warm underfoot, the sea, the sunshine. It was so
enjoyable and made me aware just how lucky i am to live here with beaches like this practically on the doorstep. :D
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Machrihanish Beach

Postby four eyes » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

correct,Kintyre is a gem,i never fail to be amazed at its beauty when i return.
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ionnsaigh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:09 pm

Intend making a fire, cook lunch, have a pint in the pub, look for Dolphins ( real wans ) and Otters.
Next week can't come quick enough....... :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mzz pasico » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:25 am

Yes four eyes how true. Kintyre is such a beautiful part of the world. My father used to say there was nowhere on earth
that could match the beauty of it.
Ionnsaigh...You've not long to wait! :)
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Well, I hope somebody watches him to make sure he leaves no mess with that fire he intends making! :lol:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Govangirl wrote:Well, I hope somebody watches him to make sure he leaves no mess with that fire he intends making! :lol:

He will be too busy looking for dolphins in the pub.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby four eyes » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:38 pm

That beach started to go downhill about 1973,when i was a boy i hardly saw anyone on it,maybe the odd yank from the base out running but any one else was a rarity.At the other end most people went not much further than the burn. I could spend all day there and never see a soul.
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mzz pasico » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:20 am

Lots of families there when we visited, both local and holiday makers.
Forgot to say, whilst there, we bought freshly cooked bacon rolls from the wee burger stall situated just beside the village
hall. Delicious and very reasonably priced.
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:50 am

Mzz pasico wrote:Lots of families there when we visited, both local and holiday makers.
Forgot to say, whilst there, we bought freshly cooked bacon rolls from the wee burger stall situated just beside the village

Good on Campbell Ketye for this new venture within the village.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:17 am

jdcarra wrote:
Mzz pasico wrote:Lots of families there when we visited, both local and holiday makers.

Good on Campbell Ketye for this new venture within the village.

Which reminded me to do - viewtopic.php?f=62&t=12439 8)
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby odds » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:20 pm

four eyes wrote:That beach started to go downhill about 1973,when i was a boy i hardly saw anyone on it,maybe the odd yank from the base out running but any one else was a rarity.At the other end most people went not much further than the burn. I could spend all day there and never see a soul.

That was the time I used to live up at the base although not responsible for it going downhill :) .... We used to walk from the bottom of the airfield all the way up to Machrihanish along the beach and as you rightly say, you would never see anyone else around. I'll be doing it again in 2 weeks time, although I wont be jumping off any dunes this time :)

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby EMDEE » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:59 am

Mzz pasico wrote:Travelled to Machrihanish beach today (Wed). Had planned to stay a couple of hours, but it was so glorious we
stayed until 6.30 in the evening. Not a breath of wind, sand warm underfoot, the sea, the sunshine. It was so
enjoyable and made me aware just how lucky i am to live here with beaches like this practically on the doorstep. :D

Mzz pasico

I think we established on another thread that we are related. We spent our formative years together in the same class in Dalintober School, so you must have very similar memories of Machrihanish as I do.

I must concur with you about Machrihanish, and I would go on to say that it is one of the best beaches in the UK. I'm only sorry that I can't go there whenver I feel like it.

Of course, it depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for the usual things associated with beaches run on a commercial basis, then Machrihanish is not for you. In my own recollection, and probably yours, it was a family outing and it was Maw Paw an the weans with a flask and sandwiches, coca cola etc, We would venture into the sea, but many a time it would be pretty rough and apart from that it was freezin'.We used to go into the burn to swim because it was warmer than the sea, and we would get McConnachies bus home at 6 o'clock. If we were near enough the village we would go to Mrs Anderson's shop to get an ice cream.

I would say that it's probably still the best value day out for a family (good weather provided) and will continue to be for generations.

Does anybody do the flask and sandwiches thing nowadays? It might be a small thing, but to us it was a bit of a ceremony getting a cup of tea out of the flask and getting a couple of sandwiches, (which were invariably egg). :roll: or spam :roll: :roll:
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gizmo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:09 pm

I dont seem to see the extended family groups that you used to at the beaches. I remember it as common when I was young, not a weekly occasion but if there was a hint of sun people appeared at Machrihanish,Westport,Peninver or our haunt Southend, our favoured spot was just below Dunaverty in a wee sheltered bit (we were never happy if someone else had our pitch :( ).

Egg sandwiches were indeed a staple, tea for the older folk and Coke, Dunsade or American Cream Soda for the younger ones, occasionally a big pot of potatoes appeared (fire raising even then) the inevitable tartan picnic blanket and often the multi-coloured stripey windbreaker (if we couldnt get our bit).

Different beaches had different challenges, Machrihanish below the shop, had stones for skimming or distance and rocks for climbing , Westport had the dunes and rockpools and the old rusty boat for a good while, Southend had Dunaverty rock and its history which for a young boy was quite scary, exploring was usually done in pairs (or maybe that was just me :oops:). Every beach had rounders and football, often against other family groups then the adults went back to the tea and left us to it (thinking of it there was never any cans of beer and certainly no wine).

I had nearly forgotten Dalintober beach, I remember that used to be crowded sometimes. Vague memory of Jock Shields boats (that man made a fortune out of me from slings) and jumping off the end of the pier (always off the end, the steps were for chickens). Did health and safety exist then? Certainly sun screen didnt. :roll: .

Go on, if you havent tried it, try it. The only rule is the only device allowed that needs a battery is a radio, no phones, gameboys etc. that way people actually talk and play and kids can use their imagination, and these days there is no stigma in drinking wine. :D
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:16 pm

This thread seems to be stirring lots of happy childhood memories.Mine was mainly spent at Prestatyn.Happy days. :D
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:53 pm

When our family was a lot younger sandwiches and flasks were a staple diet on a day out by the sea, we certainly couldn`t afford cafes with 5 kids. Now that it`s just the two of us, we still like to pack up sandwiches and flasks, 2 flasks because he likes tea, but I don`t like it from a flask so I have coffee in mine. Looking forward to a few picnics by the sea when we get up there in 2 weeks time.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to General Chit Chat