Ancestry search

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Ancestry search

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:17 am

I have been trying to search my family tree for a while now and need to now see copies of birth certificates, etc. It's a bit more complicated living in England trying to search Scottish records but I've found a couple of sites. They charge different prices and I wanted to ask forum members if they have ever used these sites and which ones are better. Thanks.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Ancestry search

Postby Isa » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:38 pm

I had a good result by using the Mormons database. If you can find the nearest Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints (Mormons to you and me) you can make an appointment to browse their archives. The Mormons believe that everyone no matter their religion should be recorded in a database and they record all records. I think (but not sure) that you can access their database in Salt Lake city.
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby MPR » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:14 pm

the mormons also have an online site https://www.familysearch.org they have quite a bit of local genealogy.
I also use ancestry and rootsweb message boards lots of info on there.
As you search you can also find sites that have free family tree paperwork thats handy to fill out and keep track of things,Great hobby and history pastime.
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby witchnettle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:23 pm

have you tried scotlands people website www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
i got loads and loads of family history from this x
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gizmo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:09 pm

You cant do much better than Scotlands People,it is quite cheap and easy to operate. Might be worth trying Genes Reunited.
It is possible some relation has done some of the work for you. Trouble is you cant really trust other peoples work but it can point you in the right direction.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks Witchnettle and Gizmo, I came across that site earlier today and spent 6 hours and £22 on it!!!!!!! But it's great and got copies of the marriage certificates of all my grandparents, great grandparents and great, great grandparents! Flaming fantastic site it is! It is addictive, though, isn't it?
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gizmo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:33 am

Everything you buy is stored on your account. Ditch nothing, it may come in handy later and ocasionally it stops you making the same mistake twice. I try and print anything I download as I find to easier to refer to. Happy hunting.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Yes, I can really recommend this site. I had problems reading one of the certificates and clicked on the link to report it. I got an immediate, lovely reply to say they would inform the relevant people, re-scan it and send it to me by e-mail. What service!

I've still got a lot of work to do but I'm really enjoying it and have found it fascinating. This all began with a wonderful photograph I found of my granny, aged 8 with her 5 brothers and sisters*, my great grandparents and my great-great grandparents. Sadly, my mother has alzheimers now and cannot answer any of my questions. Younger folk than me - don't leave it too late. Ask and record all that information whilst there are still relatives who can gift you their memories.

*When researching, I discovered that one of those brothers died in the Great War, aged only 16. I'm researching him at the moment and I think it makes the plight of those young lads fighting so much more poignant.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to General Chit Chat