Red Squirrel

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Red Squirrel

Postby glassblower » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:42 am

Looking for info as to where to go round the Campbeltown area to see Red Squirrels, we will be in CN the end of July begining of August and my grandson (age 13) and i would like to see the "Reds" as we only have Grey one's down this part of the country. We both enjoy going round our local ( Potteric Carr, if anybody would like to look it up ) nature reserve and he is very keen on taking photo's with a new DSLR i have bought him.
Last year we had an informative hour at the sanctuary at Macrihanish talking and watching the warden at work, we will go there again this year hopefully to see some Sea Otters
We are going to have a walk to Killypole Loch and looking at the info provided by members it looks as though we go through a forest, might this be the place to see the "Reds" ?
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Red Squirrel

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:14 pm

http://www.red-squirrels.org.uk

Might be a Scottish Tourist Board trick though. :D
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby glassblower » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks Landrover Roger, i have just had a look at that website you posted and it seems strange that whole of the Red Squirrels in Scotland can ony be found in those two regions ! highly unlikely to my mind. You only have to look at the varied landscape of Kintyre to see that could hide a "Wolly Mammoth" there never mind a Red Squirrel.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:29 pm

Just by coincidence, we spotted a red squirrel in our garden in the centre of Oban just last week. That's the first time we've seen one here. It ran right up to the top of one of the big beech trees and waited there as it had spotted the cat. We took the cat in and left it to go away.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:09 pm

I've only ever seen red squirrels twice, and on both occasions it was on the road between Glendaruel to Colintraive, just south of the Dunoon turn-off.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby glassblower » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Judging by the replies regarding seeing Red Squirrels around CN i think maybe my grandson and i are going to be unlucky !!! maybe we will have to settle for, a Golden Eagle, Wildcat, Pine Martin, anything, help.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Isa » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:47 pm

The only one I have seen recently was just outside Minard. I have never seen one here.
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:48 pm

glassblower wrote:Judging by the replies regarding seeing Red Squirrels around CN i think maybe my grandson and i are going to be unlucky !!! maybe we will have to settle for, a Golden Eagle, Wildcat, Pine Martin, anything, help.

Seals, otters, plenty of birds at the obs at http://www.machrihanishbirds.org.uk/

Visit Carradale and you might be lucky to see a Bochan! :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Crowth » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:46 pm

I haven't seen any reds around Campbeltown, but I have seen one a couple of times where the A83 passes through a wooded area just north of Tarbert. Also, I've seen otters off Carradale Point and on the slip at Claonaig. And, GE's reside up Rhonadale but I've never been lucky enough to spot one :roll:
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Pete Reek » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:27 pm

I've seen them on the Kilberry road on more than one occasion.
You may just be lucky.
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby JEM » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:24 am

I saw a red squirrel running across the road a couple of miles south of Tarbert recently.
JEM
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby glassblower » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks to all who have told of Red Squirrel/Otter sighting it now looks as though myself and grandson might just be lucky and see them in a couple of weeks.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hels » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:54 pm

I work at Kilmory Industrial Estate, Lochgilphead (somebody has to!) and there are 3 red squirrels which come to bird feeders about 5 yards from my office window almost every day. :D Trees are in full leaf just now and plenty of other food around , but in the winter time they appeared every morning without fail between 10.30 and 11 am - 2 very bold, one a bit more hesitant. Lovely to see.
Hels
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby glassblower » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Hels, you are making me envious, still i shall be keeping my fingers crossed for a sighting when we are up there in two weeks time.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to General Chit Chat