Famous Faces!

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

John Martyn

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:12 pm

Was asking Colin Middleton about John Martyn the other week and the next thing he gave me a flyer for his tour. Obviously a big name with 15 dates in Ireland, Scotland and England. (playing at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall on 24th May 2005)

Does anyone have any of his music - if so what's it like? I assume he spent time in Kintyre?

His website is http://www.johnmartyn.net

Regards
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: John Martyn

Postby Les » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:45 pm

Does anyone have any of his music - if so what's it like? I assume he spent time in Kintyre?

His website is http://www.johnmartyn.net

Davie

The Big Man has been a regular vistor to these parts since the early seventies if not longer. Bob (McGeachy) is his first cousin, and further back his family were fishermen from Dalintober I think. He famously broke off his tour of Spain to play at the "Antares" benefit in the Glen along with Hamish Imlach (who had taught him to play the guitar when he was a wee boy in Glasgow.)

His music is very difficult to categorise - he started off as a folkie but evolved his own style really. Best known song is "May you Never" which Eric Clapton covered on the "Slowhand" album. Phil Collins has also recorded a couple of things, and both of them have played on a couple of JM albums back in the eighties.

Now living in Ireland, he is touring again despite losing a leg last year. BBC 2 recently broadcast a documentary about him called "Johnny Too Bad" which managed to be both hilarious and very sad at the same time.
Once of the Stories on his website which has been posted by a fan calls him " "drunken, mad, Scottish, schizophrenic son of a bitch" but I prefer to think of him as a national treasure!

If you're up for it, I would be happy to do a John Martyn special on my radio prog on Argyll FM. Actually, maybe I'll leave it a few months as you'll soon be desperate for something to do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve leaving the house !

Les
Les
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Previous

Return to General Chit Chat