Fleming's Land

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Re: Fleming's Land

Postby EMDEE » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:21 pm

Iain wrote: Robert declared he was a Pork Butcher and Ceffal Merchant. (don't know what Ceffal means !) And what's more, I remember my grandmother keeping kitchen food waste for a man who had pigs ! :)

Should that not read "Offal"? :?

There used to be lots of houses in the town kept a pig-bin which was regularly collected by someone from the piggery. Great way of putting leftovers to good use and cutting down on landfill. :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Could be Emdee ! :) I've since updated that post with a Google view of what might be Pierview..., difficult to make out the name !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dunc99 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:47 pm

The house you are showing is FAIRVIEW>.

I will put up a link for Tiree (if I can remember how)

Try this:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=l ... .5,,0,9.16
dunc99
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Iain » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:54 pm

Isa wrote:
Iain wrote:She also added that there's a Neil and Sandra McArthur who have an ironmongery shop in Campbeltown…

Neil and Dorothy McArthur run a garden shop in Union Street, is that who you mean?

Sorry Isa..., didn't see your post ! Frankly I don't know..., but there's too much of a name-coincidence for it not to be them. (Neil's in his early fifties !)

I'll try surfing..., thanks again !

Dunc..., that url worked ! Thanks a lot !
Last edited by Iain on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dunc99 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:44 pm

As I am getting good at this, here is the Garden Shop. I think it encompasses both bits, no wonder there is an improvement order in force!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=u ... 75,,0,7.63
dunc99
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Iain » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:04 pm

dunc99 wrote:As I am getting good at this, here is the Garden Shop. I think it encompasses both bits, no wonder there is an improvement order in force!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=u ... 75,,0,7.63

Thanks Duncan..., I was unable to find the shop !
Last edited by Iain on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:46 pm

EMDEE wrote:There used to be lots of houses in the town kept a pig-bin which was regularly collected by someone from the piggery. Great way of putting leftovers to good use and cutting down on landfill. :D

Not any more. Big fine for feeding kitchen scraps to pigs nowadays.

It's been shown that's what led to swine fever.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Arguing with someone on the internet is like mud wrestling with a pig.
After a while you realize the pig likes it." - Anon.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:51 am

Perhaps it might be a good idea to close this line of research ! The beauty of genealogy is that published census reports only deal with the dead…, as such, there's little chance of offending someone. :wink:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Isa » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:08 am

Iain wrote:I do believe that the problem is more to do with the aesthetic value of the next-door-neighbor..., and looking closer at the window contents; is that not an ironmonger ?

Iain I can see how you might think that :)

The garden shop in the picture is an extension of the shop on the left, the original garden shop and the entrance is through it. You can see the one on the right has the door blocked. It is used as a showroom for garden machinery and accessories

We seem to have drifted down the street a bit from Flemings Land :D
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Trev » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:32 pm

good photos of Fleming's Land on Mactaggart's website at present (cdmactaggart.co.uk)
Trev
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Isa » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Trev wrote:good photos of Fleming's Land on Mactaggart's website at present (cdmactaggart.co.uk)

Trev you will find that that link was posted as far back as September 8

Isa wrote:Iain, this is a link to an ad. for a flat in Flemings Land. You can see the front, the garden as it is today and a view of the building from the back.
http://www.propertyworld.com/propertyDe ... 5#imagepos
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ali7ms » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:49 pm

I haven't discovered the McArthur's in the Fleming Family tree. They are not descended from Alexander d 1909 as he did not marry. I have found most of the descendants of Capt. John Fleming RN but no McArthur's so far. There are a couple of branches for which I have no information. I have the names of his two wives, his daughter and son-in-law's surname. Any clues?
ali7ms
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:19 am

ali7ms wrote:I haven't discovered the McArthur's in the Fleming Family tree. Any clues?

Hi Ali !

Perhaps you misunderstood the posts due to confusing sentences. Neil McArthur was my 3xGr Grandfather, (born in Haylipol, Tyree in 1795) and was never a member of the Fleming family. During those lean years in Tiree with less peat to cut and fewer and fewer trees to make fishing boats, he moved south to Campbeltown to earn money for his family and his parents back on the island.

Neil, (who has another 3xGr Grandson called Neil McArthur in Campbeltown with the Garden Shop) was a tenant in Flemings Land. (mentioned in the 1841 census) At the time, Neil was a shoemaker of a certain standing, (leather boots and town shoes instead of clogs and farm footwear) …, and with a little commercial imagination, it seems obvious he could have manufactured for Fleming himself.

Probably due to his link to the local farmers and cowhide, a few of Neil's descendants became pig farmers and butchers…, with the last having a butcher's shop in the Longrow. As a lad, I helped them make their sausages and deliver meat on their old rickety Raleigh bicycle ! :)
Last edited by Iain on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:24 pm

Iain wrote:Probably due to his link to the local farmers and cowhide, a few of Neil's descendants became pig farmers and butchers…, with the last having a butcher's shop in the Longrow. As a lad, I helped them make their sausages and deliver meat on their old rickety Raleigh bicycle ! :)

One of my older brothers John worked in McArthur the butchers,before and after he left school in the 50s,before leaving the town to join the merchant navy.

We seem to be moving further and further off topic here.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:30 am

bill wrote:
Iain wrote:
One of my older brothers John worked in McArthur the butchers,before and after he left school in the 50s,before leaving the town to join the merchant navy.

Hi Bill ! As you already know, building a genealogy tree from Flemings Land is not just a question of finding names and dates, it's also trying to create a summery of each individual. Obtained by researching historical sites and newspapers..., but also, family and friends can help build a picture.

Oooh..., how I'd love to talk to your brother. (when I think about it, it's not impossible that we met !) I'd just love to have his opinion concerning that MacArthur. (he was the Uncle of Neil McArthur of the Garden shop)

I'd really like to find out if he was kind man, or eventually a Campbeltonian gangster. And of course, a photo of your brother in the workplace with the boss and the team would be a delight !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit Chat