iPod

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

iPod

Postby dgraves » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:21 pm

Hi Malky,

I'm looking to purchase an iPod, but haven't a clue as to which one. My daughter's B Day is coming up on Halloween and she said she would like one. What model would you recommend?

She would be wanting it mainly for music. I know they are Apple, but are they compatible with Windows XP?

Every trip she takes its like moving house with the mountain of CD's that have to travel. Maybe this will make things easier!
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Malky » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:05 pm

I'm not an iPod user Dorian so don't want to recommend a particular model.

They are compatible with Windows though, so no problem there.

If your daughter has lots and lots of music one with a larger capacity might be the way to go but it depends how much you want to spend.

I have lots of music but only listen to a fraction of it so just transfer what I'm currently 'in to' onto my player (5 gig capacity) leaving the bulk still on my computer.

Check battery life too - if she goes on a trip and the battery runs out before she gets home - major grumps :lol:

You could also try asking her - she will probably know better than you :lol:

Also try http://www.apple.com/ipod/ to see if that helps you.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

iPod

Postby dgraves » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:34 pm

Thanks very much, Malky. I went to the apple iPod site, and as far as I can tell you need to subscribe to the iTunes to download music. Don't know if that is what she was looking for.

I did ask her about the iPod, and she doesn't know too much about it. She listens to music constantly as she studied it for 10 years and loves all kinds. Guess I'll leave it to her to choose! :roll:

I appreciate your help ( and especially your patience)! :D
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Malky » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:09 pm

You can of course "rip" your current music from CD via the computer to an iPod. This saves downloading. No point buying music you already own. :roll: :wink:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby dgraves » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:05 pm

Thanks Malky! Duhhh! Oh well, you know I am technologically challenged-
No secret there!

If she wants current music, the iTunes has an offer of the first 500 free. IPod just doesn't work with any other download site.

I spoke to her again, and despite the iPod Nano having only 4 GB, she wants that one over the larger 20 or 60 GB regular iPod. Has something to do with static sound and being small and slim ?? What ever :lol: . Said she intends to do what you do- load it with music she is 'in to' at the time. The 4 GB iPod Nano holds 1000 songs.

PS- The apple iPod site was a great help. I read all of the reviews on each one. I was able to make a little sense when talking to her! A link that helped in price comparison was http://www.cnet.com Scroll down to Editor's Choice Winners at the bottom.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Wee Toon Ajax » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:25 am

Dorian

Friend of mine bought me back an IPOD from the States last year, actually half the price than it is here in Europe. Have to say it is absolutely superb for storing music. But one major problem is that the headphones are terrible. They dont fit in the ear well and thus allow outside noise in as well as annoying people sitting near you on buses, trams etc. Had to go and buy another set which were better suited.

Never downloaded music myself (still like to read the sleevenotes etc) but have ripped about half of my cds on to ITunes now.

Regarding the IPOD Nano please refer to the following article as there seems to have been a major fault in it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4286294.stm
If, after all, men cannot always make history have meaning, they can always act so that their own lives have one.

Camus
Wee Toon Ajax
Active Poster
Active Poster

iPod Nano screen scratching

Postby dgraves » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:39 pm

Hi Camus,

That article was very helpful :D . I called her AGAIN to report this new bit. Shauna is very careful with everything she owns, so thinks that with a cover it will be alright. She also read the article you sent.

According to the reviews (and your own experience) the ear phones are a problem. She'll have to invest in some better ones if that is the route she chooses. I saw a lanyard setup on the Apple site that looked interesting. It could have the same problem, but it said it came with several sizes of ear pieces to fit most any ears . (No ear comments, Malky! :lol: )
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Christian » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:56 am

Malky wrote:You can of course "rip" your current music from CD via the computer to an iPod. This saves downloading. No point buying music you already own. :roll: :wink:

Malky

Downloading is free. I think Ipod's suck, as it installs a lot of "spyware" which slow down the computer. When you don't install it, the computer doesn't see the Ipod. The service of the Ipod shops is great however, my lil sis dropped her Nano in the bath, and she got a new one, for free!
~The Flying Dutchman~
Christian
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Surfbored » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:04 pm

The IPod Nano is very easy to navigate and has a lot of cool features, games and stuff.

Also it can be used to store data and photos.

You download the ITunes program (34MB) and basically it will convert any mp3s you already have and get them on the IPod.

4GB is actually a decent size, basically it stops you carting about loads of stuff you'll never listen to anyway.

Very nifty, beautifully ergonomic and you can change the cover colour to suit your mood or your outfit.
I wasn't so easily patronised when I was your age ...
Surfbored
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Jonathan » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:19 am

Does it have to be an iPod? They are over priced & not that technically great - and for the normal user you are locked into using iTunes!!
Jonathan
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:53 am

Jonathan wrote:Does it have to be an iPod? They are over priced & not that technically great - and for the normal user you are locked into using iTunes!!

They're not cheap but I've gotta say I'm very pleased with mine. It's a 60GB colour/video iPod.

As someone earlier mentioned, the earphones don't fit very well - I had just assumed I had funny-shaped ears.

OK iTunes isn't brilliant but at least I can use it to transfer my CDs from the PC to the iPod.

Some of the software isn't brilliant - the photo viewer could use a lot of improvement - but the sound quality is very good.

In addition to the music/video features I also use mine as a removable hard drive when connected to the PC - useful for makign backups and suchlike.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Technical Support