Essential Maintenance

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

Essential Maintenance

Postby rainbowsprite » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:39 am

Hi

Was just wondering what happened to the posts everyone had submitted yesterday? They have all vanished! :?:

Rainbowsprite x
Last edited by Board Admin on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Making normal
rainbowsprite
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Vanishing Posts

Postby EMDEE » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:43 am

You've beat me to it, I've just noticed that too and was going to post a similar question. :?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:08 pm

Thank goodness for that!I thought that I had had several senior moments! :)
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:49 pm

What about PMs? I sent one to EMDEE ... did you get it?
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:07 pm

The whole forum was unavailable when I got in last night, you couldn't even access anything. Then it came on early hours of Sunday and all the day's posts were missing. Do we have to re-post them? Strange when posting was so slow the last few days.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:27 pm

Same here, Errors 403 and 404.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Board Admin » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:42 pm

Govangirl wrote:The whole forum was unavailable when I got in last night, you couldn't even access anything. Then it came on early hours of Sunday and all the day's posts were missing. Do we have to re-post them? Strange when posting was so slow the last few days.

Still not sure what happened but unfortunately the whole forum went down the tubes last night!

I couldn't find anything wrong with the board earlier as regards the slow posting problem that was mentioned but it was definitely slow so I asked our hosting company to have a look. They did some things but it didn't make any difference.

I was out at night and when I came back in the board was gone! Not just the database but also most of the files! What was left was corrupted. Even the cpanel was corrupted so I couldn't even access the tools we use to administer our little bit of the world wide web!

I asked the hosting company to look again and they 'fixed' it which was a case of restoring from the daily backup. So I'm afraid all posts from yesterday are gone and that will include PM's.

This might not all be over as I'm still getting errors in the error log, but the hosting company are looking at the problem so hopefully things will be sorted fairly soon. Oh. and we still have the slow posting problem - whether its all related I don't know TBH.
Board Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby EMDEE » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:17 pm

Mary G wrote:What about PMs? I sent one to EMDEE ... did you get it?

Got that one yesterday morning, just haven't answered yet as yesterday was quite busy.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:50 pm

EMDEE wrote:Got that one yesterday morning, just haven't answered yet as yesterday was quite busy.

No worries - didn't need a quick reply - just wanted to make sure you got it :)
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Board Admin » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:35 pm

Just to update everyone on this.

There is still an issue with the forum and at this point I don't know when it will be resolved. Our hosting company are looking into it but I am worried that the only way to properly fix the issue will be to re-install the forum software. That's not a 5 minute job so I would prefer not to do that. And TBH, I want to find out exactly what went wrong in the first place as I don't fancy doing a re-installation and then having the problem come back.

I am taking backups of the database twice a day at the moment but just so everyone is clear on this issue, THERE IS STILL A CHANCE OF POSTS BEING LOST WHILE THIS IS BEING SORTED OUT. If you post a message that you consider important I suggest that you take a copy of it and store it on your own computer. You can then re-post it if necessary.

At this stage I don't want to close the board but it may have to happen in the near future. :(

Malky
Board Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:19 am

Are the Bochan up to mischief? :<>
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bochan Mor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:27 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Are the Bochan up to mischief? :<>

The Bochans are always up to mischief!
Bochan Mor (Son of Bochan Morar)

Copyright: Bochan Mor & less of his Cohorts at the Monument
Bochan Mor
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Essential Maintenance

Postby Board Admin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:31 pm

In the next day or so (when I have the time basically :) ) the board will be closing for a time. This is to allow me to fix the problems that have occurred over the last week. I will take the opportunity to update the forum software to the latest version while I'm at it.

I'll try and keep the downtime as short as possible but I'm not sure how long it will take. It really depends how straightforward things are :mrgreen:

NB. If you try and access the board while this is in progress you will probably see lots of error messages. Don't panic - I'll be doing enough panicking for everyone :wink:

Malky

EDIT. Forgot to say, if you have any concerns, post them here.
Board Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Board Admin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:33 pm

The search facility is currently being rebuilt and therefore wont work properly. It will take an hour or 2 before it's finished.

Also, I think I've found the problem with the slow posting that was mentioned elsewhere and it should be fixed now. 8| :mrgreen:
Board Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby maxmix » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:55 pm

Hacked ?

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to Technical Support