Where is my incoming mail server?

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

Where is my incoming mail server?

Postby Tom B » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:45 am

I've just changed broadband providers from Eclipse to Talk Talk. I use Outlook Express to access my mail, and work with Windows XP Professional Operating System.

My outgoing mail is configured to go on smtp.talktalk.net, and that work fine.

incoming mail is POP 3 and the mail address is mail.mydomain.com

I've started getting error messages sometimes saying that there is problem accessing the incoming mail server.

I'm currently holding for talk talk technical support...... time to write this mail.

My question is - where is my incoming mail sitting?! I understand that Outlook Express 'goes out' and collects the mail and brings it to me - but where does it go ?

Talk Talk, and Easily both say they don't hold it - Easily told me its with www.hosthost.co.uk who I've never dealt with and operate form a PO Box in London.

I'm concerned that mail be getting bounced from wherever it is and I'm not receiving...

Should have stuck with BT!

Any suggestions welcome, hopefully talktalk will be able to help too

Thanks
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Where is my incoming mail server?

Postby Malky » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:31 pm

Well if you've only changed providers and you own a domain name, Outlook Express pop3 setting will have already been configured. I assume you could get your email fine when you were with Eclipse so POP3 setting should remain the same as it was. If you've changed it, change mail.mydomain.com back to what was there before.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Where is my incoming mail server?

Postby Tom B » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:53 pm

Malky - thanks for responding to this.

I found out that the problem was actually with mrsite, who I built and host my website with (they host their websites (i.e.mine) on the hosthost.co.uk server) - and not with the talktalk, easily or eclispe!

The fact that I'd recently changed broadband providers was a red-herring! The outgoing mail goes via the broadband provider and worked fine, and the incoming mail account sits on the host of www.mydomain.com which in my case was Mr SIte. I've spoken with them this morning, and they've been having problems with their servers, which they hope to resolve soon.....!

Thanks again
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Technical Support