ipod Touch

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

ipod Touch

Postby Rabmacd » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:02 am

Got my daughter an ipod Touch for Christmas but can't, for the life of me, get it to connect to the internet. I've got a wireless Netgear router, protected by a WEP key. When the ipod asks me to put in the NETGEAR password, it won't accept the password I put in, even though my pc accesses the 'net, using the same password or WEP passphrase. Anyone help???
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: ipod Touch

Postby Martin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:02 am

Just a thought and I haven't a clue about I-Pods, but have you allowed it through your Firewall ? Failing that, maybe just do a Google search ?
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks for the reply, Martin. The plot thickens....was down at a friends house last night and the bloody thing worked like a dream. Jumped onto his network nae bother. I think it must be a netgear issue. Doing my nut in though...........
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:25 pm

This might sound daft but how many characters/digits do you have in your passkey?

Some hardware can get huffy if the passkey isn't the full 13 characters long.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Arguing with someone on the internet is like mud wrestling with a pig.
After a while you realize the pig likes it." - Anon.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:49 pm

Beachcomber,

should have posted yesterday, but somehow--and don't ask, I managed to get it to work. I think that my problem was in my router right enough. I had it secured with a 64 bit WEP key. Apparently the Ipod likes a 28 bit WSP key, seemingly more secure. Anyway, I jigged about with the router settings, changed the security from WEP to WSP enabled and then "allowed" the MAC address of the Ipod on the router and Hey Presto!! it's now fully functional.

I now have one delighted daughter :D

Thanks for the reply.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Campbell A » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:57 am

Aye yer the boy right enough Rab, hope ye allowed yourself a wee pint by way of a self congratulatory show of appreciation.

Might take one masel noo after that spelling display :)

Rabmacd wrote:Beachcomber,

should have posted yesterday, but somehow--and don't ask, I managed to get it to work. I think that my problem was in my router right enough. I had it secured with a 64 bit WEP key. Apparently the Ipod likes a 28 bit WSP key, seemingly more secure. Anyway, I jigged about with the router settings, changed the security from WEP to WSP enabled and then "allowed" the MAC address of the Ipod on the router and Hey Presto!! it's now fully functional.

I now have one delighted daughter :D

Thanks for the reply.
Campbell A
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Rabmacd » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:25 am

Campbell,

now that my training has officially started for the MOKRUN, my body is now a temple (wan of those derelict Aztec wans). That pint will have to wait until after my run tonight. :shock:
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Technical Support