Microsoft Security Update KB951748 (July 8th) and Zone Alarm

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

Microsoft Security Update KB951748 (July 8th) and Zone Alarm

Postby Kevin Mc » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:02 pm

Just in case anyone's about to install this update and are also using Zone Alarm......

I installed this update today, though on rebooting, could not get my browsers to connect to the internet. The connection was okay as I could ping web sites / run tracert etc, though Firefox and IE didn't want to know.

Turns out there's some issue with Zone Alarm. After sitting for an hour trying to work this out, the Mrs (non-IT), suggested that I uninstall the Security Update. Both browsers now working fine without this latest update.

Just google KB951748, and you'll find lots of entries for this problem. Not sure if there is a resolution for this, but wanted to warn any ZA users.
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Microsoft Security Update KB951748 (July 8th) and Zone Alarm

Postby Kevin Mc » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:04 pm

Found this on the zonelabs site:

Sudden loss of internet access - Microsoft Update KB951748 is known to cause loss of internet access for ZoneAlarm users. We recommend that users uninstall KB951748 using "Add or Remove Programs" until the issue is resolved.

Would have been easy to find out what was wrong by googling, but I couldn't get onto the net to look!
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Microsoft Security Update KB951748 (July 8th) and Zone Alarm

Postby Malky » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:25 pm

I've stopped using Zonealarm now - it was starting to annoy me.

For a list of good free programs to use have a look at http://www.techsupportalert.com/. Firewalls are under Security / Privacy / Encryption but have a look in the other sections, there is some good, free software out there and it's all at my favourite price - FREE !!

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Technical Support