printers and cartridges

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

printers and cartridges

Postby Tom B » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:23 pm

Anyone got any recommendations for home colour printers, that have affordable cartridges when you need to get refills? Most of the printers seem relatively inexpensive, till you find out how much the cartridges are. Any advice?

Thanks
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:52 pm

I have a Canon Pixma ip4200 Inkjet and its a great printer. It has 5 separate ink tanks (all chipped and no compatible ones on sale as far as i know just now) i have refilled them myself about a dozen times each. When you refill, you get a warning from the ink level check software about using refilled cartridges. Clicking yes will invalidate the warranty etc. I just accept that, as buying a full set of cartridges for the printer is not a kick in the @r$e off the cost of a new printer itself. You get a full set of cartridges in the box as well.

It has a paper feed tray at the back and a photo paper tray underneath. It also prints printable blank cd/dvd disks.

The print quality is good (and depends on the ink quality you use if you refill) it also has Duplex printing to use both sides of a sheet of paper (value paper is no good for that though as its to poor quality). It comes with some good software as well, which walks you through most print jobs on all its media print types.

Just had a search for the specs:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-iP4200-Inkjet-Colour-Printer/dp/tech-data/B000B67YK2/ref=de_a_smtd wrote:
* Product Description: Canon PIXMA iP4200 - printer - colour - ink-jet
* Printer Type: Photo printer - ink-jet - colour
* Dimensions (WxDxH): 41.9 cm x 29.9 cm x 16 cm
* Weight: 6.5 kg
* Ink Palette Supported (Colours): 5-ink
* Max Media Size (Standard): Legal, A4
* Max Media Size (Custom): 216 mm (Legal) x 356 mm (Legal)
* Print Speed: Up to 1.18 ppm - photo - 100 x 150 mm ¦ Up to 29 ppm - black fast ¦ Up to 19 ppm - mixed text/colour graphics fast
* Max Resolution ( B&W ): 600 dpi x 600 dpi
* Max Resolution ( Colour ): 9600 dpi x 2400 dpi
* Duplex Printout: Duplex
* Interface: USB
* RAM Installed ( Max ): 42 KB
* Media Type: Envelopes, transparencies, plain paper, photo paper, semi-gloss photo paper, photo stickers, glossy photo paper, Compact Disc, matt photo paper, high resolution paper
* Total Media Capacity: 300 sheets
* Printer Features: Borderless printing
* Power: AC 120/230 V
* System Requirements: Apple MacOS X 10.2.1 or later, Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

I bought mine from Misco about two years ago and its still going strong and a quick look on the website shows it is now been replaced by the CANON PIXMA IP4300 INKJET.
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:00 pm

I have the exact same printer :shock: genuine canon replacements are about £30 per set. I got the printer free with a PC from Dell. Free printers from PC manufacturers are always a sure sign that you're going to get horsed for cartridges! But I don't print all that much, and the quality is very good.

Tom B - depends what types of things you're going to print and the volumes?
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:03 pm

Daftdog / SYE - thanks, will have a look at that one
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tosh » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:43 pm

Don't touch Lexmark or the Dell branded ones (also Lexmarks)
I Have a couple of ip4200s and they're great little printers not the easiest compatible carts though.
If you want to use cheap unbranded inks stick to Epson printers.
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:47 am

ebay the home of all cheap stuff
Ross
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: printers and cartridges

Postby jdcarra » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:10 pm

Tom B wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for home colour printers, that have affordable cartridges when you need to get refills? Most of the printers seem relatively inexpensive, till you find out how much the cartridges are. Any advice?

Thanks

Tom B, as Tosh said Epson printers. I have aquired a Epson Stylus Photo R300 printer and has excellent printing qualities. The cartridges are individual, six in all and you just replace each one as it empties. The cartridges whether epson or compatiblies are cheap to buy, between £3 and £4 pounds each on E bay or elsewere.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:36 am

jdcarra wrote:
Tom B wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for home colour printers, that have affordable cartridges when you need to get refills? Most of the printers seem relatively inexpensive, till you find out how much the cartridges are. Any advice?

Thanks

Tom B, as Tosh said Epson printers. I have aquired a Epson Stylus Photo R300 printer and has excellent printing qualities. The cartridges are individual, six in all and you just replace each one as it empties. The cartridges whether epson or compatiblies are cheap to buy, between £3 and £4 pounds each on E bay or elsewere.

tosh/jd - eventually went out and bought a EPSON Stylus DX7400 - good print quality for what I need - thanks for the recommendation. On cartridges though, I bought the JETTEC replacement colour cartridges as they were cheaper, but they didn't seem to fit right, leaked ink, and I couldn't get them to work. Went out instead and bought original EPSON at £32 for a set of four! ouch. Any particular brands or sellers on ebay you would recommend to get the discounted ones you identified? thanks
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby maganru » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:36 pm

Carron.R@makingitgreen.co.uk

Direct Dial: 01458 271353

Afternoon Tommy

At work we use the above company for most of our cartridges. Most of the time, too, they give away printers with a few sets of cartridges. Might be worth a shout to see what they have on offer. Just ask for Carron!

Need to speak to you re the old church organ. Will call this week. Hope you're all well.
mos
maganru
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Technical Support