The £200 laptop

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

The £200 laptop

Postby Mary G » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:11 pm

We recently bought the Asus EEE for our daughter.
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/Sea ... CatId=2944
I confess to having been rather sceptical about what it could deliver, albeit the reviews were positive. I had imagined returning it, suspecting that its build quality or performance may have been sub-standard ... but ...

It is amazing! Really great value, and is a wee glimpse of the future, I reckon. The build feels very robust, and indeed it is aimed at children, so the design is geared around keeping it unbreakable. It is extremely lightweight, and is around A5 sized. Even the sound quality - while not 'hi-fi' quality - is much better than on many more expensive machines.

One reason that the cost is so low is that it does not use any Microsoft software – all Linux and Open Office. I am pleasantly surprised at how intuitive they are to use, and how they substitute for all that you could want. It networked effortlessly to our home network, including the HP printer. And it has an application that allows you to chat as if it had MSN Messenger.

All in, very hard to fault for the money. Worth considering before you go spending much higher amounts of money on a laptop. While aimed at children and people on the move, it could suit any PC user, in my view. Main drawback is that, because it is so small, the keyboard is a wee bit cramped; not a problem when you get used to it ... unless you have hands like a farmer, I suppose ;-)

By the way, PC World told us that they are flying off their shelves, and Misco, where we got ours, say that the manufacturer has been overwhelmed with the level of demand. They had not predicted that a non-Microsoft laptop would sell so well.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby abbey craig » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:33 pm

Must admit mary i seen them advertised,thought they would be a lot of rubbish.

Buy Asus shares,then wait on the big boys buying them out :wink:
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby maxmix » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:36 am

I've sold about 20 EEE's now and I keep mine in the shop for a demo ;)

Mary... Was it a 2GB or 4GB you bought, loads of different specs now since it's release last year....

BTW It is pretty easy to format and put XP on, Linux is OK, but not everyones cup of tea....

Best getting 1GB or RAM in there if you do though ;)

maxmix

PS I'm easy enough to find.... I dont advertise on here though :)
Will need to get to bed soon lol
L8r

By the way.... I've been selling ASUS gear for about 15 years now ;) Nothing new....
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mary G » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:18 am

Hi Maxmix

It was the 2GB, which looks fine for our daughter's purposes.

I am not suprised to learn that the company has been around so long; they obviously knew what they were doing.

And the reason that we did not use your good services is that we live not far from the Misco warehouse, so were able to collect. But we may drop in when we are next home in town.

Cheers, M
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby maxmix » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:13 pm

Not a problem.... BTW I'll email you a good link for your daughter.... It's a Forum dedicated to Asus EEE's alone...

Loads of tips and MOD's, upping memory, addin bluetooth etc ;) and good info for software too....

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mary G » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:22 pm

Cheers for that Maxmix -

The link would be much appreciated - either here or PM

Ta
M
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Nomad » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:03 pm

good if you know what yer doing. but even with 4gb is hardly enough to do anything more than check yer email on the move (once everything has been installed). which can be done with a suitable mobile phone of course. also, in the last week some well documented security flaws have been highlighted which make it rather dodgy to use (think password stealing, viruses and credit card details)

however i DO like the idea, and perhaps once a beefier/cheaper one comes along i would consider it. but a well specced laptop isn't much more in price.
Nomad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby maxmix » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:49 am

@Mary.... Here you go :)

http://forum.eeeuser.com/

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Technical Support