advice/help on computer matters

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

advice/help on computer matters

Postby king of kilcousland » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:47 pm

Couldn't think of anywhere else to put this so its here. I recently bought a new pc with windows vista, but upon realising it was absolutely sh**e, and wont let me use any audio editing software, as well as install printers that are over a year old, i installed a LEGAL version of xp pro, but now xp doesn't seem to recognise my sound card, everything else is working fine but cant get any sound. I've been into all the audio driver setups but according to windows there is no device detected. I'm hoping there are some really intelligent computer types on here that might have a solution. :? :(
How many mothers to cry?
How many sons have to die?
How many missions left to fly over palestine?
king of kilcousland
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Malky » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:57 pm

I've moved this to technical support.

It's a big problem with Vista - you still can't get drivers for a lot of hardware and older software doesn't work with it.

What make of PC is it? ie. if it's HP or Dell or whatever you can go to their website and download drivers there. If there is no device detected then XP is not seeing it at all and the sound card will only be detected as you install the drivers. You need to make sure you get correct drivers in this case so check for the exact make and model of sound card (it may be built into the m/board) before downloading.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:59 pm

Not sure if if you have now both operating systems installed or not (running a duel boot machine) so this is what i suggest..

Having reinstalled xp pro a few times, i had problems with sound the first time as well.

If you received a disc when you bought the pc containing drivers for audio, video drivers etc, use this to install the correct driver for your sound card (the disc should have all the drivers that are specific to the motherboad you have installed)

If your sound card is not motherboard integrated, then try using the disc you should have got with it to install the driver.

Not a techie myself, but came across this before and thats how i fixed it.
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby king of kilcousland » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:23 pm

Cheers for the info. I'm not running both systems, tried that but xp wasn't running right so i just got rid of vista completely. also I never got any discs with the computer, it was from a refurb copmpany, although they said mine was not refurbished just sent back by the person who had bought under some peice of mind garuntee thing! The worst thing about it all is that microsoft purposely made vista non compatible with audio programs because they are trying to compete with the company who make the drivers for most audio programs (Asio) they just never thought on actually coming out with their own drivers before launching Vista!
Bloody Bill Gates!
How many mothers to cry?
How many sons have to die?
How many missions left to fly over palestine?
king of kilcousland
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby maxmix » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:44 am

What you have to bear in mind now is that most PC hardware is designed only for Vista....

Out of the last, say 50 PC's I have sold about a dozen or so could not take XP, No drivers exsist anymore for XP....

Always worth checking on the makers web page if XP is supported before formatting and installing XP....

I've had about half a dozen customers lately fromatting their machines (Getting rid of Vista) Installing XP and realising
there is no support for XP..... They were all booked in and I had to put Vista back on, reinstall drivers and in the odd case
add more RAM, because the machine they bought was so underpowered to run Vista from the start....

Good old PC World lol

If you need any driver help, email me at hd@hhd.co.uk

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Technical Support