Virus Protection

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

Anti-Virus Software

Postby Machrihanish » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:42 pm

Thought I would add my two penneth worth herel

try AVG from www.grisoft.com
They offer a FREE version (inluding unlimited updates) for the home user.
Very low overhead and works very well.

Also, the MS Anti-Spyware bet is still free at the moment.

For an all-in-one solution www.zonelabs.com ZoneAlarm takes some beating.

All the best
Cameron
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby GarySutherland » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:29 am

AVG is very good. We use it here and I've put the Pro version into several customers' sites too.

I used to use ZoneAlarm but found the Pro version to conflict with too many other bits of software. Scary to see all those Pings in the log though.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby DMS Graphics » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:10 pm

Bit Defender 9 Professional Plus is my prefered anti-virus just now. Licensed for 2 years and licensed for 2 computers as standard for £37.99. Includes Anti-Virus, Firewall, Antispam, Anti-Phishing and updates every hour. Also boots from CD if your computer won't start and connects to the internet to update the virus definitions.

One problem with buying Anti-virus online is you don't have a CD to boot from if you have problems. I don't rate Norton much, there are cheaper and better products.
DMS Graphics
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

ZoneAlarm

Postby Machrihanish » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:24 pm

Hi Gary,
I have noticed some strange behaviour on XP machines which have latest MS patches and ZoneAlarm Pro installed !! Hopefully they will work out the bugs soon.
Always the same when a good product gets bought out by the big boys, ZoneAlarm was fine until Checkpoint got their hands on it LOL
All the best
Cameron
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby GarySutherland » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:25 pm

In our case we'd been running the evaluation copy of ZoneAlarm for a while with no problem, then paid for the Pro version which immediately started causing problems.

We were also running Norton Anti-Spam and unless then loaded before ZoneAlarm the latter prevented it working properly. In the end we junked ZOneAlarm Pro and used the hardware firewall built-in to the router together with the XP Firewall. Together they seem to do a pretty good job of it.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Previous

Return to Technical Support