Avast anti virus

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

Avast anti virus

Postby DOUBLE A » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:23 am

Have the 4.7 version, do regular scans and always comes up with no virus which is fine but recently has started showing result of scan which shows Items which cant be scanned :!:
The number started at 7 and is now up to 31, they are mostly - Volume information - (whatever that is) have tried to do repair, delete or move to chest which is what their site recommends but always comes up as error occured when trying to delete/move to chest.

Any teccies have any idea if this will cause problems and have any idea how i can get rid of them :?:

Rememeber i am not the best with computers so idea's need to be pretty simple (some would say a bit like myself :lol: ) :wink:
" on the road tae Drumlemman "
DOUBLE A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Malky » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:08 am

Volume information means it's a protected folder so your anti-virus proggy won't be able to make any changes.

If you're worried about the items that can't be scanned you could try another antivirus program like perhaps NOD32 by ESET. First remove AVAST using Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs then download and install NOD. You'll only get a 30 day trial of it but you'll have an industrial strength antivirus program check out your system. Make sure you do a full scan of your computer.

After the 30 days you can always uninstall NOD and go back to AVAST if you don't want to pay for it.

Hope that helps.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DOUBLE A » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:05 pm

Malky wrote:Volume information means it's a protected folder so your anti-virus proggy won't be able to make any changes.

If you're worried about the items that can't be scanned you could try another antivirus program like perhaps NOD32 by ESET. First remove AVAST using Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs then download and install NOD. You'll only get a 30 day trial of it but you'll have an industrial strength antivirus program check out your system. Make sure you do a full scan of your computer.

After the 30 days you can always uninstall NOD and go back to AVAST if you don't want to pay for it.

Hope that helps.

Malky

Thanks for that Malky, will give that a go. Although looking at your advice i should only have the 1 Antivirus on the go at the 1 time, just now i have both Avast and AVG running :!:
" on the road tae Drumlemman "
DOUBLE A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Malky » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:53 pm

Anti virus progs interfere with each others operation so only have one installed at a time.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Nomad » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:24 pm

AVG is solid. and free.
Nomad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Technical Support