Wireless broadband

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

Wireless broadband

Postby campbeltown loch » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:06 pm

joost wunnerin kin yi git a wireless broadband kit n joost connect it up if yiv hud a normal intirnet connection afore? :roll: :idea:
campbeltown loch
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Wireless broadband

Postby daftdog » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:25 pm

campbeltown loch wrote:joost wunnerin kin yi git a wireless broadband kit n joost connect it up if yiv hud a normal intirnet connection afore? :roll: :idea:

Not sure if you still HAVE or have HAD an internet connection.

If you currently have an internet connection, all you need to do is make sure you buy the right type of wireless router for your type of connection ADSL (phone line broadband) or DSL (cable broadband).

You will also need a wireless card (PCI or Cardbus) or dongle (USB) installed in each piece of hardware (pc, laptop, printer etc) that you wish to connect to it.

You can buy packages with a router and at least one card or dongle included. eg Try here
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Malky » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:27 pm

When you say normal connection, do you mean a dial-up connection or a broadband connection?

Basically for broadband, you get a wireless router. The router connects to the phone line and makes a permanent connection to the Internet. Your PC or laptop connects to the router either by wireless or with a cable (wireless routers allow connection by both).

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby campbeltown loch » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:37 pm

aye ave git aol broadband the noo usin ah bt voyager adsl modem!

so aws ave git tae do is buy the wireless router n stik the wee cerd in tae mah laptop n am away?
campbeltown loch
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby daftdog » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:23 am

campbeltown loch wrote:aye ave git aol broadband the noo usin ah bt voyager adsl modem!

so aws ave git tae do is buy the wireless router n stik the wee cerd in tae mah laptop n am away?

If you are an AOL customer you could maybe upgrade to their wireless option.

http://info.aol.co.uk/broadband/broadband-silver.adp?sem=1 This is for new customers, but existing ones can upgrade also.
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:48 pm

Of course if your nextdoor neighbour already has wireless broadband and hasn't thought to password protect/encrypt it then it has been known for other people to piggy-back off of it. That would be sneaky though.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:12 pm

Hmmm :shock: might give it a go as mine is slowing down rapidly.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:34 am

This isn't a technical issue post, but as its relevant to wireless internet access, i thought i'd share it with you all.

One of my mates Ped lives in Renfrew and after getting a very large phone bill a few months ago (and nagging from his special other half) he decided to start using Skype and told everyone who didn't have it to get it.

As he has a laptop as well as a pc, he decided to install a wireless network so that he could move the pc out of the living room and put it up stairs and use the laptop down stairs when he needed.

Now we have a situation where a (usually) slightly inebriated man is walking about the house with his laptop wearing a head set with mic and chatting to his mates, just to keep the peace..lol. (no more shouts of "Thats you been on for nearly an hour, hang up and redial"...lol.)

Ps. One good thing to come out of it is, now he has to say BRB and go to the bathroom, instead of just chatting through emptying his bladder, although the aforementioned good lady wasn't so polite last Sunday night when she was under the influence herself when chatting to me on the phone.. :oops:
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Malky » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:18 pm

Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:07 am

I myself was thinking of getting one of these phones http://accessories.skype.com/item?SID=dec1d594d610cd1ff8be70627767e0d0891:4580&sku=951020&source=1stpromo, but i would need to upgraded my wireless router to have more than a single ethernet connection on it or i'm not sure if i could just use a networking router connected to my wireless router..

I'll let the forum users know if i do start using skype this way.
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:55 pm

Yes, you'd probably be okay with a cheap'n'cheerful 4-port router connecting the PC, Skype-phone, and router all together.

Nice looking phone, BTW. Not so nice looking price tag though.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Technical Support