Flash

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

Flash

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:28 am

Anyone use it much?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:43 pm

Flash is a great piece o kit.

Ive used it a couple of times for projects at college and the more you get into it the better you grow to appreciate it.

I found it to be a bit temperamental when using video, but Flash 8 comes with its own video codec and it made a difference to the projects i used it on compared to Flash 2004 MX Pro. But this is probably down to my own inexperience as well.

I'm still not convinced about using flash for a whole site, as it leaves a hole in the user market, as a lot of users either don't keep their media players up to date, or are not sure what they are downloading when asked, so say no thank you.

Given the choice of an html or flash site, i click on html 8 out of 10 times.
Last edited by daftdog on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Surfbored » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:45 pm

Have to agree with Daftdog.

Flash is great, but like anything else, less is more, it only works when used in moderation.

How many times have you visited a website and the whole point of the site has been lost due to the creator using overkill to show how great a website developer he/she is?

Used sparingly, and tastefully, it's a great tool.

Don't forget there are loads of decent 3rd party applications out there to save you a lot of hassle, and also you can reverse engineer someone elses site and change it to suit using some of the highly useful flash decompilers also out there in cyberland.

There are also a load of tutorials, video courses, books and resources available for download.

If on the other hand you are planning on developing flash animations or games , then that's a different ball game.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
I wasn't so easily patronised when I was your age ...
Surfbored
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Technical Support