Wireless Router

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

Postby take_a_pop » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:10 pm

Ah ken a man thit an soart it fur ye Rab. He's naw cheep, but kens whit tae dae,tae get it wurkin, purhaps ye shuid ask him nicely, afore the lambin starts.
Thanks a million Malky, yur naw as stupid as ah look.
Next time we meet in a pub in Glesga, your pie n pint is on me. Cheers
take_a_pop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Malky » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:30 pm

Hi Rab,

I actually set up 2 netgear wireless routers earlier today. Take_a_pop's was real easy, his problem was that he couldn't reach the on switch from his wheel chair :wink:

This does sound like a firewall problem though.
Do you have a software firewall installed on your computer by any chance? Like zone alarm or Norton etc. That may cause problems.
Forget the wireless side for a minute and plug in the network cable that's supplied. Netgear assigns 192.168.0.1 to their routers. Type http://192.168.0.1 to log-in to the router (username is admin and password is password) and check the settings.
What connection speed you getting?
Check the firewall setting.
Actually, it might be best to reset the router back to factory defaults and go through the setup process again.
The Netgear quick setup usually detects everything for you - all you do is put in the username and password for your broadband provider.
What did you mean by pre-installed adaptor on the PC? Is that the ADSL modem provided by your ISP?

Gary's right. 15 minutes to fix when you're sitting at the computer, a lifetime like this :roll:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:27 am

Malky,
thanks for the advice. I'll have a go at it again when I've got more time, this evening. I have a Norton Firewall, but that does not cause any problems when surfing using the ADSL cable. Did check the firewall setting for Netgear, but was a bit lost about how to deal with it :oops: Connection speeds were about 54mps. I'll reset and go through it again,

Cheers

Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:32 am

Rabmacd wrote:I have a Norton Firewall, but that does not cause any problems when surfing using the ADSL cable.

Is this through the netgear or your original adaptor?

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:59 am

Rabmacd wrote:Latest message says that the software does not have "Windows Logo" clearance. Surely I've not been sent a dud :cry: Decided to revert to the old cable---weans still tripping over it :x

Presumably that's the drivers for the wireless network card rather than the router. Might be worth checking the manufacturer's website for latest drivers.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:00 pm

Malky,
the Norton Firewall is installed on my PC. The router has an inbuilt firewall. My PC has a wireless card (that's waht I meant by adapter) in it that picks up the signal for the router, but I also have a Netgear adapter that I could install. Didn't see any point, as the PC picked up the signal without it. I'll go through the process again tonight

Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:42 pm

Anyone want to buy a wireless, clueless, useless router?? :cry: Will infuriate, devastate, complicate, leave-in-a-state any individual coming into contact. I have never been so flumoxed by such a small piece of engineering wizardry, tomfoolery, buffoonery, haven't a cluery as this wee box. I defy anyone tae get it working 8) Answers on a postcard--cos the e-mail might not work--to P1ssed Off, Cant be botheredsville, Kentucky.

I feel a whole lot better now

Rab(id)
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

I have both hands up and I'm walking backwards slowly....
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:51 pm

Rabmacd wrote:Anyone want to buy a wireless, clueless, useless router??

Where abouts are you? If you're not too far away then maybe I can drop in and have a look for you. My Tosh' connects to our wireless network so at least that bit would be a 'known ok'.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:02 pm

I'm about at the end of my tether, Gary. Gallowhill Road, Campbeltown (off Dell Road). A pint in the Comm to anyone that can help
Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:54 pm

Rabmacd wrote:Anyone want to buy a wireless, clueless, useless router?? :cry: Will infuriate, devastate, complicate, leave-in-a-state any individual coming into contact. I have never been so flumoxed by such a small piece of engineering wizardry, tomfoolery, buffoonery, haven't a cluery as this wee box. I defy anyone tae get it working 8) Answers on a postcard--cos the e-mail might not work--to P1ssed Off, Cant be botheredsville, Kentucky.

I feel a whole lot better now

Rab(id)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I told you today - take it out of the box and stop pointing the remote control for the TV at it! :lol:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:01 pm

Rabmacd wrote:My PC has a wireless card (that's waht I meant by adapter) in it that picks up the signal for the router, but I also have a Netgear adapter that I could install. Didn't see any point, as the PC picked up the signal without it.

You sure the netgear router is the problem? Did you try accessing the Internet using the network cable between your PC and the router?

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:13 pm

I did Malky, but got the same results with the Ethernet cable----no MSN, Hotmail, Microsoft sites etc

Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:27 pm

Right then, I want you to try this. Can you log-in to the netgear and check the MTU setting. It should be 1492, which is the max it can be.
If it's not 1492 I advise changing it to 1492 and rebooting the router (switching off and on should be enough).

Click on this link http://www.dslreports.com/front/DRTCP021.exe and save the file to your computer. This is Dr TCP and we'll use it to check the MTU setting for the wireless adaptor that is on your PC. The MTU for the wireless adaptor needs to be the same as the router.

When you run the program you will see a window and at the bottom right hand side you would see a space that says MTU..you have to put 1492 in the space. Now on the left side of that, where it says adapter settings make sure you have the correct adapter selected (you'll want the wireless adaptor, but you may want to try this with the network card you've been using the cable with too). Finally, click on save and then exit and reboot your PC.

See if that makes any difference to hotmail etc.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:53 am

Malky
how do I check the MTU setting on the router?
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support