Wireless Router

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

Wireless Router

Postby Rabmacd » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:26 pm

Just got a new PC and internet was working fine 'til I installed a wireless router. Can get access to internet, but cannot for the life of me get access to anything Microsoft related--- Windows update, MSN messenger, Hotmail--in fact Outlook won't even open my hotmail inbox any more. Does anyone have any ideas???? :cry:
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:01 pm

Does it have a firewall built-in? Maybe this is blocking your access.

What make/model is the router?

Other things to check are whether it is assigning a correct IP address to your PC (DHCP).

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:26 pm

Gary, it does have a firewall built in, but for the life of me I don't know how to allow/block sites. The manufacturer is Netgear. How do I check what IP address it's assigning??? :shock:
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby take_a_pop » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:57 pm

Netgear by christ, the very same as i have jeest bought, and can i get it tae wurk, naw a canna, weil it wurks but naw oan ma Lappi, an thits whoot a bought it fur.
Niffer thot you wur as thick as me Rab, but i guess ye must be, ne'er mind a ken a man thit can fix it fur me, or so he's promised.
take_a_pop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby GarySutherland » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:39 am

Rabmacd wrote:Gary, it does have a firewall built in, but for the life of me I don't know how to allow/block sites. The manufacturer is Netgear. How do I check what IP address it's assigning??? :shock:

You're running Windows XP I'd guess, if it's a new PC, so in the status bar at the bottom you should have an icon that looks like two PCs trying to shag each other.

Put your mouse over this and press the Right mouse button, then select Status. The choose the Support tab to show your system status.

Unfortunately this is one of those problems that will take about fifteen minutes to fix, face-to-face, but about a fortnight to fix remotely.

How local are you to Campbeltown? It's shopping day tomorrow so....

Cheers
Gary

ps Another Queen fan? Top banana!
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:26 am

Gary, I work in the same office as Davie P. Its defo the Netgear router, because when I revert to my ADSL cable connection, I can access all sites. With cable connected, I can open MSN, with wireless I can't. Strange, but true, The wireless router doesn't seem to like anything to do with Bill Gates!!!!!!!!!!!
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:37 am

Rabmacd wrote:Gary, I work in the same office as Davie P. Its defo the Netgear router, because when I revert to my ADSL cable connection, I can access all sites. With cable connected, I can open MSN, with wireless I can't. Strange, but true, The wireless router doesn't seem to like anything to do with Bill Gates!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I have a question.. how do you know you are connected if you can't get on the net or do anything that would require the net? Just because it says you are connected, you may not be. It sounds like there is something in your wireless settings (such as firewall, like Gary said) that isn't working, or maybe your wireless card itself isn't.. have you taken your wireless computer and tried to connect by wireless on someone else's router without cable? If you can't connect to other routers with your wireless, then there is something wrong with your wireless in your computer and not the router.

If everything else is okay and your wireless card works fine, best thing to do, throw it away and get a linksys :lol:
Last edited by Bobbie En Tejas on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:51 am

Bobbie,
I can get on the net with the wireless connection but I can't access certain sites---anything to do with Microsoft, basically--no MSN, Hotmail, Outlook, Microsoft updates etc. I can access this forum though. Is it possible that the router is not compatible with XP????
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:03 am

Linksys :)
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:04 am

Rabmacd wrote:Is it possible that the router is not compatible with XP????

No, although you haven't mentioned what model it is I can't imagine ay manufacturer putting out a non-XP compatible product within recent years.

Are you able to reach the Microsoft website ?

I've three routers here but unfortunately none of them are made by Netgear.

Can you Ping your mailserver? Open a Dos command window and enter PING followed by the address to check this.

If you work with Davie then no doubt he'll have given you a few suggestions too.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby GarySutherland » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:07 am

Rabmacd wrote:With cable connected, I can open MSN, with wireless I can't.

MSN Messenger uses something called UPnP which isnt supported by all routers, or the router can be configured to disallow it. Have a look through the setup manual or CD that came with it to see if this needs switching on.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:39 am

Can't access Microsoft website Gary. When I installed another Netgear wireless adapter, I got a message saying something like "Microsfot Logon not authenticated" for both the router and the adapter. I uninstalled the adapter and have gone back to the pre installed adapter on the PC. Some websites that I visit let me get to the first page, say TD Waterhouse, but when I try to sign into a secure account, nothing happens. Thanks for the suggestions so far, Gary

Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:51 am

The ultimate in security. Won't even let you in.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:58 pm

Latest message says that the software does not have "Windows Logo" clearance. Surely I've not been sent a dud :cry: Decided to revert to the old cable---weans still tripping over it :x
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:09 pm

Rabmacd wrote:Latest message says that the software does not have "Windows Logo" clearance. Surely I've not been sent a dud :cry: Decided to revert to the old cable---weans still tripping over it :x

Can you return it and get your money back? I had a huge problem with my last router, a DLink. It was very frustrating, but then I decided to throw it and spend an extra couple of bucks on the Linksys, since so many had recommended that one. And speaking of wireless, Corpus Christi, Texas has a plan for the whole city to be wireless, so no matter where you are you can connect. No sure how far they got with that, but when I lived there I was looking forward to being able to sit out on the beach and work.

Of course, then there's sand.. :cry: and glare.. :cry: :cry: and obnoxious little children thinking its funny to get you all wet.. :cry: :cry: :cry: On the other hand, maybe the old-fashioned way is best :lol:
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Technical Support