New PC - help!!

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

New PC - help!!

Postby pcidiot » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:33 pm

I got a new PC for the kids at Christmas but I am not too sure about the whole thing!! :shock:

Managed to set it up and even got it on-line!!

However, there are a few issues I am looking for help with;

1. Does anyone have any advice on what Anti-virus software I should use - I can't afford much but am obviously worried about the computer getting a virus etc - what with the kids all over the net on it!

2. How can I set-up parental controls on the internet access to ensure the kids do not go on to the wrong sites etc. In addition can I monitor what they access? I'm not going to monitor them all the time but I really want to make sure they are not using the net for the wrong reasons!

3. I have my e-mail account with aol - how do I use the like of MS Express or can't I?

Any help would be most appreciated!
pcidiot
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: New PC - help!!

Postby Malky » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:56 pm

pcidiot wrote:1. Does anyone have any advice on what Anti-virus software I should use - I can't afford much but am obviously worried about the computer getting a virus etc - what with the kids all over the net on it!

Try AVG antivirus which is free. Download it at http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5. The link for the download is at the bottom of the page. After downloading, navigate to where you saved the file, double click it to run the install and follow the on-screen instructions.

pcidiot wrote:2. How can I set-up parental controls on the internet access to ensure the kids do not go on to the wrong sites etc. In addition can I monitor what they access? I'm not going to monitor them all the time but I really want to make sure they are not using the net for the wrong reasons!

I don't use AOL myself but they have a Parental Control facility which can be used with their browser. There will be a link somewhere.

If you use Internet Explorer to browse the web then Content Advisor is built into it. Click Tools > Internet Options the select the Content tab. You can enable Content Advisor and customise it there.

pcidiot wrote:3. I have my e-mail account with aol - how do I use the like of MS Express or can't I?

There are instruction on this website that should help you set it up. http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/pc/email/aoloe.php

Hope that helps :)

Now I'm moving this to the Technical forum :wink:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby pcidiot » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:05 pm

Cheers Malky,

You certainly know your stuff!

Will try some of it out now.

Thanks
pcidiot