Laptop

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

Laptop

Postby Ninja Mania » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:49 pm

Any suggestions on wireless conections for our new dell laptop, what do i need ? and where should i get it.
Another thing, we use our broadband line to watch pay per view movies,(no not those type) and we have never paid for 1 yet, dont ask me how, but if you know the reason tell me. Malky or Gary rsvp
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:45 am

You need a wireless ADSL modem router.

Try this one, a Netgear router from Amazon. You probably have a wireless network card already installed in your Dell laptop but if you don't Amazon have an offer running with this router that includes a free usb wireless adapter (it plugs into a spare USB slot to give your computer a wireless network).

Netgear routers are usually very easy to set up and last forever.

Hope that helps. Any more questions just ask.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jonathan » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:52 am

That router is only 54mbps - which ain't exactly fast these days at all. IF another computer was connected and files shared across the network things would become just alittle slow.

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Qu ... ationKey=0

^ That is one option

Also depending on your ADSL provider they may offer a wireless package to which you could upgrade to - means atleast you'd know the hardware is compatible.
Jonathan
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ninja Mania » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:05 pm

Thanks for these suggestions guy's.
I have checked them both out and my head is spinning with info.
Johnathon, your suggestion looks to be the better one, but customers comments on this product vary from buy it now, to stay clear of this product, its left me in doubt now, and when im in doubt i usually dont. Tho it certainly seems great value, as it has almost halfed in price over the last year or so, and includes the PC card now, so i may still swing to this option. (Cheers)
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:30 pm

Who's your ISP? We use BT and they bill us (retrospectively) after three months so you may not have been bille for whay you've been watching yet.

The Netgear stuff has a pretty good reputation for being robust and easy to set up. We use Draytek hardware which is feature-rich but a bit less easy to configure.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Malky » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:43 pm

Whoops :oops: Gave you the wrong link Ninja. It should have been for the 834GT not the 834G. Link at Amazon is here

It was late last night when I posted - I was at the Saw Doctors concert in the Barrowland last night so was still a bit distracted when we got back. :roll:

Gary is right, Draytek are good but not so easy to setup.

Finally, another make that is easy to set up is Belkin but that may be confusing to give you more choice.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Gus » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:53 pm

Ninja,

I myself use a Netgear wireless router which was delivered along with laptop recently. Very easy to set up and dell laptop picked it up no probs.(although they probably all do).

Also easy to set up WEP which prevents others using your broadband connection without your permission!!!

Gus
Gus
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ninja Mania » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:06 pm

Cheers Gus,
I think i will opt for this 1 it seems easy to set up etc etc and value for money, just have to see how much i can squeeze out of Mrs Claus's purse after chritmas is done and dusted with.

Gary, we use BT too, but this has been going on for months.
Not that i'm complaining, no doubt it will catch up with us soon.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:48 am

I fear you're right Pete. Eventually they'll realise they haven't billed you.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Christian » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:49 am

In my Latitude D505, the Wireless was already built in. Works perfect!
~The Flying Dutchman~
Christian
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Surfbored » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:12 pm

Jonathan wrote:That router is only 54mbps - which ain't exactly fast these days at all. IF another computer was connected and files shared across the network things would become just alittle slow.

You don't really know what you're talking about ... do you ???

Do you have a 54 mbps internet connection ??? ... nobody here does ... and I'm sure nobody is running a big network either ...

sigh
I wasn't so easily patronised when I was your age ...
Surfbored
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ninja Mania » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:22 pm

GarySutherland wrote:I fear you're right Pete. Eventually they'll realise they haven't billed you.

Cheers
Gary

Clock is still ticking Gary, our fears are still fears, if you get my drift.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Christian » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:18 am

Surfbored wrote:
Jonathan wrote:That router is only 54mbps - which ain't exactly fast these days at all. IF another computer was connected and files shared across the network things would become just alittle slow.

You don't really know what you're talking about ... do you ???

Do you have a 54 mbps internet connection ??? ... nobody here does ... and I'm sure nobody is running a big network either ...

sigh

I've got 54 mbps at Uni, 11mbps at home. How do you mean nobody has 54 mbps?? That's about the speed of wireless ADSL.
~The Flying Dutchman~
Christian
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:47 am

Christian, I think you'll find that's the speed of your wireless LAN/WAN, not your broadband. (802.11g/b) Wired networks typically run at 100mbps nowadays. Far better than the old days of co-ax and BNC connectors.

Around here the best speed broadband you can probably expect is 1 or 2 mbps, unless you're very close to the exchange. In many parts of the UK 8mbps broadband is available with faster services coming online in the cities.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Technical Support