R.I.P. Kenneth McKellar.

Have your say....

R.I.P. Kenneth McKellar.

Postby bill » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:58 am

One of Scotland's great entertainers has sadly passed away aged 82.

Kenneth was a permanent fixture on Scottish television and stage,even appearing in Campbeltown,way back .

He will forever be remembered for his renditions of Robert Burns works,especially"My Love is like a Red Red Rose".
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: R.I.P. Kenneth McKellar.

Postby EMDEE » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:18 am

Kenneth McKellar actually worked for a time with the forestry in Kintyre before he became a professional singer and at that time lived in Carradale.

Obituary from yesterday's Herald:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/o ... -1.1019619
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:55 am

Thank you for that EMDEE, that was a real education. They hit it on the head with the following:

'There are two very different collective memories of what McKellar was. For most Scots under 65 who had heard of him, he was the kilted figure who sang on TV at Hogmanay . . .
In strong contrast, to most Scots over 65 . . . was without peer.'

Maybe you and Bill are in the latter group of over 65 :wink: :lol: but I'm certainly in the former and that description in the Herald certainly rung true. I would imagine with your musical knowledge you would have been familiar with his background whatever your age but I had no idea. Very, very interesting, RIP Mr McKellar.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:17 pm

Sorry EMDEE but you know me . . . I've been thinking a lot about this news today - don't know why but it was kind of bothering me. I phoned my mum to tell her the news as I know how much she loved him. Now, I don't know what it was - probably a combination of having visited her only a few days ago, the fact that she's so confused now she thought she actually did know him and also that she insisted she play me her favourite record (yes, record!) of him singing Eriskay Love Lilt - but I found it unbearably poignant. It was so pure and beautiful yet unsentimental and I just got to thinking how he became so dismissed by our nation as a shortbread tin singer. This was our nation's greatest tenor singer and the most beautiful interpreter of Burns ever - I know it said he turned down a wee award in the past but he should surely have been a Sir? For Sir Adrian Boult to describe him as 'the best Handel singer of the 20th century' is evidence enough but sometimes, do you not agree that we Scots tend to underrate our greatest by feeling we have to dismiss and lampoon things that are considered embarrassing now? :(

Oh and I also visited Carradale the other day too and I didn't see a wee blue plaque up to say he had stayed there so I reckon one should now go up!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:06 pm

There does appear to be a kind of National embarrasment about the entertainment that was promoted as "Scottish" from the mid 20th Century onwards, and that it merely underlined a stereotypical image that did not in fact exist. Whether this is warranted or not is a matter of personal opinion. There was a demand for this kind of entertainment at the time, and Kenneth McKellar and his contemporaries provided his market well, and probably also did very well themselves. The odd thing is that the Irish, our nearest ethnic relatives, are not so backward at promoting and cashing in on their traditions and stereotypical image. In a way, Kenneth McKellar could be seen as a latter-day John McCormack, who ranked among the top operatic tenors of his day, and was a serious rival to Caruso, yet is remembered today as a singer of his native Irish ballads.

Another problem we have in Scotland is the self-deprecating "Ah kent his faither" outlook.

Having said all that, I wait every year with baited breath for the honours list, and nothing happens! :( :(
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:48 pm

So sorry to read this news. I`m not Scottish, but have long had a love of Kenneth McKellar, was only wondering a few days ago what he was doing nowadays.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:43 pm

numberplease wrote:I`m not Scottish,

Condolences, Numberplease, condolences :lol:

So it's unusual for you to be a fan as everyone I've asked here didn't know him. How did you come by him? Were your parents Scottish?
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:17 pm

Nope GG, I just used to see him on TV regularly in years gone by, (I`m not a spring chicken!! :lol: ) and loved his voice. I especially loved him singing Scotland the Brave and The Song of the Clyde, but also loved the slow romantic stuff as well.
Sorry for not being Scottish, by the way, I just happen to be a big fan of the place, and would love to move up to Kintyre, unfortunately, it aint possible :cry: :cry:
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:45 pm

numberplease wrote: I just happen to be a big fan of the place, and would love to move up to Kintyre, unfortunately, it aint possible :cry: :cry:

You and me both Numberplease. Maybe we'll both move up there as 2 very old wumman roaming around the wee toon with our walking sticks singing 'Campbeltown Loch', going into Carradale every week to pick up our bakery supplies and spending all our pension money in The White Hart!!!!!! :lol:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:55 pm

:lol: I`ll be a very old woman long before you are, I`ll be pushing daisies before you arrive! :lol:
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:36 pm

A lot of folk regret that McKellar didn't forge himself a career in 'serious' music. Apparently he was highly regarded in that field and even sang in Handel's 'Messiah' under Sir Adrian Boult. However, you may enjoy this (no actual video unfortunately):-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXX2AJkKJNI&feature=related

Good obituary here:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/music-obituaries/7579002/Kenneth-McKellar.html
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:01 pm

The mistake in the Telegraph obituary is the spelling of "Portree", which should be "Portrigh" (Carradale).

I would also suggest that the photo looks more like 1955, and not 1985 as stated. :?
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:18 pm

Not very good journalism EMDEE :( I loved the reader's comment after the article about being brought up in Carradale and listening to her aunt singing with Kenneth McKellar in her front room - what memories!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 pm

"That McKellar never became a big name on the operatic or concert circuit was principally because he lacked the ambition. For most of his life he was content singing and broadcasting in his native Scotland, where he was best known for his renditions of popular and traditional Scottish songs".

The above quote from The Telegraph has increased my admiration for the man.The writer states "he was content singing and broadcasting in his native Scotland".Far better to be content with with your life,doing what you want to do,rather than what others would have you do,maybe in faraway countries,and wishing you were back home with family and friends.So I for one say well done Kenneth,you were your own man.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:01 am

Well said Bill.
numberplease
Forum Addict