The bigger the hype, the worse the film?

Have your say....

The bigger the hype, the worse the film?

Postby Tom B » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:39 am

The bigger the hype the worse the film?

Can't help thinking that Avatar looks complete rubbish? - OK not a big fan of sci-fi (other than original black & white films), but don't think I'll enjoy this when eventually I see it on tv of dvd. (But I also found the Two Towers/Ring a film not to watch all the way through - so maybe its the fantasy genre)

Also watched 'the boat that rocked last night - had been really looking forward to it - but didn't really connect with it at all (OK slight snooze in the middle due to excess red wine didn't help) - but disappointing - was expecting a 4 weddings/love actually type quality/experience - both of which were excellent, but what was the point of this film?

Whereas had been dreading Alvin & the Chipmunks, but that was a christmas cracker! - very well made, and it is what it is. Star of my name is earl and some very easy going viewing for all.
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: The bigger the hype, the worse the film?

Postby Govangirl » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:13 pm

Tom B wrote:The bigger the hype the worse the film?

I agree with you Tom. I always feel the same when I go and see a film everyone is raving about. I took my daughter to see Nativity before Christmas. It was slated everywhere but we really enjoyed it, just a good old, clean, funny British film about a teacher doing the Nativity play at school. I always remember my son dragging me to see School of Rock in the cinema and I LOVED it, was singing and dancing on the way out. I love family films like that.
My daughter currently wants to see Sherlock Holmes and I don't know how I feel about a Guy Ritchie vision of such a great literary character . . .Oh yes I do :twisted:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:38 pm

Not necessarily. There are often over hyped films that turn out to be bad, but not always.

A lot of this is down to personal preference - often a friend will say a film is rubbish, so you won't see it at the cinema, only to enjoy it on DVD at a later date. Same goes for the other way round. I was told how good Slumdog Millionaire was, though I found it disappointing. I know a lot of you liked that film on here, but that's what makes the world interesting. It'd be very boring if everyone liked the same thing.

I personally want to see this at the cinema - no idea what it's going to be like. Going more for the experience and effects rather than the storyline..
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:02 pm

Tom B wrote:Whereas had been dreading Alvin & the Chipmunks, but that was a christmas cracker! - very well made, and it is what it is.

Was in Glasgow and hoped to take it in last night but full. Will wait for it coming to the town. We went to Where the Wild Things Are instead. I thought from the trailors it was some kind of kids film but found it was certainly for an older audience. Still not sure what I thought of it yet as weird to say the least but very funny in bits too but certainly more suited to adult humour.

Did make me realise again that I need to start going locally more regular - they completely screw you up the road for money!! :D
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc