Rock Biogs

Have your say....

Rock Biogs

Postby ChrisA » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:08 pm

Anyone?

A passion of mine, I've probably gone through hundreds in the last few years.

Currently reading 'Feel' - Robbie Williams, which is a damned fine read indeed, but here is my personal top 10...

10. 'No Mercy' - The Stranglers.
9. 'No One Gets Out Of Here Alive' - The Doors.
8. 'Take It Like A Man' - Boy George.
7'. 'No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs' - John Lydon.
6 'Repossessed' - Julian Cope.
5. 'Last Train To Memphis' - Elvis.
4. 'Diary Of A Rock n Roll Star' - Ian Hunter.
3. 'Head On' - Julian Cope.
2. 'Tainted Life' - Marc Almond.

Drum roll ..............

1. 'The Dirt' - Motley Crue. Simply incredible. The most debauched, revelating, and downright exciting rock book that you will ever read. I cannot WAIT for the movie. "Ozzy Osbourne snorting ANTS" :shock: :lol: :lol:
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DMS Graphics » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:23 pm

I like the spoof rock profiles from Matt Lucas and David Walliams :lol:
DMS Graphics
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby ChrisA » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:51 am

DMS Graphics wrote:I like the spoof rock profiles from Matt Lucas and David Walliams :lol:

:lol: Yeah, read them too :lol: :lol:
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Wee Toon Ajax » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:03 am

Four books which I have read and think deserve a mention are

1) Glamour Chase - Maverick Life of Billy McKenzie. Wonderful biog of Billy McKenzie, lead singer of Associates who unfortunatley committed suicide a few years back. Probably possessed the finest singing voice of the 80s and one of the best ever, who despite being deemed for international success by Warner Bros, refused to play the Corporate game and returned to Dundee to breed whippets.

2) Morrissey and Marr- the Severed Alliance - Johnny Rogans controversial biography of the two main men in the Smiths. This biog led to Moz wishing death upon the author. Great read about one of the defining British groups.

3) Touching from a Distance - Ian Curtis and Joy Division. Written by Ians widow Deborah, this is a fascinating and disturbing biog of one of the most iconic of all front men, another who committed suicide. What stands out for me about this book, is that it paints a warts and all picture of Curtis, and unlike some fan written biogs shows Curtis as quite an unpleasant person at times.

4) Dream Brother - the lives and music of Jeff and Tim Buckley - Another really great biog. Jeff was the son of the 70s trobadour, Tim, a father he only met once or twice. Tim died from a drugs od at a young age and became an icon for many. 20 years later his son, Jeff, releases Grace, one of the albums of the 90s. Similarly to his father, Jeff dies young, drowning in the Mississippi whilst recording his second album. Well worth reading.
If, after all, men cannot always make history have meaning, they can always act so that their own lives have one.

Camus
Wee Toon Ajax
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby MJ » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:46 pm

Chris A, Head on and Repossessed are essential reading for anyone who enjoys tales of rock and roll excess. I can't praise them highly enough for being true to life, funny and emotional all at the the same time.
If Julian Cope is a bit too out there and you prefer traditional debauchery I'd suggest reading the Led Zeppelin book Hammer of the Gods.
Though not a biog as such another book for any fan of The Beatles would be Revolution in the Head. It gives a run down of every song ever recorded by them as a group and gives an analytical commentary on every song. Well worth reading :D
MJ
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby ChrisA » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:58 pm

Good choices. I have read all of them except for the Buckley book. Especially like The Glamour Chase, and of course The Severed Alliance. 8)
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:05 pm

read the dirt

about motley crue

its funny
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:49 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:read the dirt

about motley crue

its funny

I picked this up about a week ago. Haven't had a chance to read it yet but the first paragraph kind of catches the imagination. :wink:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc