Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Have your say....

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat May 23, 2009 3:43 pm

From the Herald 8)

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/di ... ricist.php

Morrissey, the solo artist and former lead singer of The Smiths, is the greatest British lyricist ever, a book by a St Andrews University academic claims.

Morrissey, whose full name is Steven Patrick Morrissey but recorded and performed under his surname, formed a successful and influential songwriting duo with Johnny Marr in The Smiths and has gone on to a fitfully successful, and sometimes controversial, career as a solo artist.

Now Dr Gavin Hopps, in a new book to be published to mark the singer's 50th birthday today, claims that despite his fame, the singer has not received the recognition he deserves as the "greatest lyricist in the history of British popular music."

In the book, called Morrissey: The Pageant of His Bleeding Heart, Dr Hopps says that Morrissey - whose lyrics for songs such as The Queen is Dead and This Charming Man have long been praised - is "the bone in the throat of popular music, and is valuable precisely because he is disturbing - obstinately insisting that there is no such thing in life as normal'."

advertisementLast night Dr Hopps said that he does not say Morrissey is a poet, but in the book shows how he has been influenced by great writers such as Samuel Beckett, Philip Larkin and Oscar Wilde.

He said that he is prepared for his judgment to be criticised, but that writers such as Ray Davies of The Kinks or David Bowie have not "transformed their art purely by their lyrics" as Morrissey has done.

"I do expect to be challenged. He is clearly in the line of lyricists such as Ray Davies, Bowie, Pulp or Madness. He is not a songwriter like Lennon and McCartney. But no-one has written as consistently great lines as Morrissey, and I think that has continued into his solo career," he said.

"There's nothing to compare to the stunning originality of This Charming Man, the luminous quality of How Soon Is Now, and Heaven Knows is a perfect pop song. November Spawned a Monster is his most daring, original and perfect song."

Dr Hopps says "most existing commentaries on Morrissey retell a gossipy story of the circumstances around his songs or else fashion a biographical portrait out of his lyrics. Either way, his artistry tends to disappear in the process".

Dr Hopps, a research fellow in the university's interdisciplinary Institute for Theology, Imagination and the Arts, looks at the poetic qualities of Morrissey's writing, his voice and his fondness for whimsy, innuendo and camp.

The book is believed to be the first academic book on the work of Morrissey and The Smiths.

Professor Simon Frith of Edinburgh University, chair of the Mercury Music Prize since 1992, said: "I am not an expert on The Smiths but it seems to me Morrissey is one of those figures who has a lot of dedicated fans, many of them journalists, whose lyrics are complex enough for people to discuss them for a long time.

"I have always loved How Soon Is Now by The Smiths, but I could not tell you what the lyrics are. There have been many great British lyricists. But if you are comparing Morrissey to poets, then WH Auden is a much greater writer, for example."

Don Paterson, the leading Scottish poet and accomplished musician, said Dr Hopps was a colleague and did not want to criticise his book, but said: "Is Morrissey better' than Paddy McAloon? Momus? Richard Thompson? Michael Marra? I can't see it. Green of Scritti Politti seems streets ahead, if you ask me. He's a talented laddie, though, no-one's disputing that."

In 2002, Dr Hopps was one of the speakers at the first academic conference on the subject of The Smiths, hosted by Manchester University.

Last year was the 25th anniversary of the formation of The Smiths and tonight Morrissey marks his 50th birthday by playing to a home audience at the Manchester Apollo.

The best of Morrissey

This Charming Man
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate
will nature make a man of me yet?
When in this charming car
this charming man
Why pamper life's complexities
when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?

What Difference Does it Make?
All men have secrets and here is mine so let it be known
we have been through hell and high tide
I can surely rely on you
and yet you start to recoil
heavy words are so lightly thrown
but I'd still leap in front of a flying bullet for you

What she asked of me at the end of the day
Caligula would have blushed
You've been in the house too long she said and I naturally fled

Meat Is Murder
Do you know how animals die?
kitchen aromas aren't very homely
it's not "comforting", "cheery" or "kind"
it's sizzling blood and the unholy stench
of murder

The Queen Is Dead
Farewell to this land's cheerless marches
Hemmed in like a boar between arches
Her very Lowness with her head in a sling
I'm truly sorry but it sounds like
a wonderful thing

I say Charles don't you ever crave
To appear on the front of the Daily Mail
Dressed in your Mother's bridal veil?

There is a Light That Never Goes Out
And if a double-decker bus
Crashes in to us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten ton truck
kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well the pleasure, the privilege is mine

Every Day is Like Sunday
Trudging slowly over wet sand
back to the bench
where your clothes were stolen
this is the coastal town
that they forgot to close down
Armageddon - come Armageddon!
Everyday is like Sunday
everyday is silent and grey
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Postby dr-sanchez » Mon May 25, 2009 1:10 pm

fockin deadly. i'll need to get a hold of this book when it comes out. i think this dr hopps is right, i've still to hear lyrics written by someone else that make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, making me feel really happy, as well as introducing an element of sadness. all in all, I don't think anyone can touch the bittersweetness in his lyrics. as noel gallagher said, he's the greatest lyric writer ever - if you think you've written the greatest lyric ever, he'll come along and write one thats twice as good.

"For the good life is out there somewhere, so stay on my arm you little charmer."
"This man said its gruesome that someone so handsome should care..."
"Would you like to marry me, and if you like you can buy the ring, I don't dream about anything except myself."
"There are brighter sides to life, and I should know, because I've seen them, but not very often..."
"To die by your side, well the pleasure, the privelidge is mine."
"Belligerent ghouls run Manchester schools."
"Manchester, so much to answer for."
"And you can tell that I've never really loved - you can tell by the way I sleep all day."
"We won't vote conservative, because we never have!"
"A note upon his desk -"P.S. Bring me home and have me"
"Close your eyes, and think of someone you physically admire...and let me kiss you."

Actually too good, I could go on all day!
You again, you b*****d!
dr-sanchez
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Mon May 25, 2009 4:24 pm

I'll try to be polite: overrated and pretentious. Best songwriter ever, my erse.

dr-sanchez wrote:"And you can tell that I've never really loved - you can tell by the way I sleep all day."

Much better: 'Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.'

Yeah, I know what I like! :wink:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon May 25, 2009 5:01 pm

Govangirl wrote:I'll try to be polite: overrated and pretentious. Best songwriter ever, my erse.

If we all had the same taste in the world Govangirl it would be a rather sad world eh? :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Mon May 25, 2009 5:29 pm

Indeed, ScD, indeed - which is why I was being 'polite' and just adding my tuppenny's worth to the opinions. It would also be a rather sad and quiet forum if we all had the same taste and opinions :wink:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Mon May 25, 2009 8:56 pm

I would have to disagree with you Davie,and go along with another lyricist mentioned in the article by Dr Gavin Hopps,Ray Davies. 8) Ofcourse maybe my age is a major influence :wink:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun May 31, 2009 3:36 pm

My brother-in-law was going to see him in Brixton a few weeks back and when he got there, found it was cancelled. It was rescheduled for Thursday night there and guess what? Yup, cancelled again! That's a lot of time off work, train tickets, etc. and Heaven knows he's really miserable now. I suggested to him that perhaps old Morrissey wasn't up to it any more but he informs me that's the 4th time in his life he's turned up to discover the concert's been cancelled so it's something he knows can happen!!!!!

Sorry but my Bruce is a whole lot more professional and fitter as well as being a better writer and performer! :wink:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Govangirl wrote:Indeed, ScD, indeed - which is why I was being 'polite' and just adding my tuppenny's worth to the opinions. It would also be a rather sad and quiet forum if we all had the same taste and opinions :wink:

Indeed, indeed Govangirl as I bite my tongue! 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Govangirl wrote:Sorry but my Bruce is a whole lot more professional and fitter as well as being a better writer and performer! :wink:

i, but he doesn't know what Glastonbury is, so I know who id rather have in my pub quiz team.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc