Film Review Thread

Have your say....

Film Review Thread

Postby Govangirl » Thu May 21, 2009 8:37 pm

It would be helpful if folk could review the films they've seen so as to guide others' choices. It could be current films on at the cinema or DVDs or just a favourite film you want to recommend. Please - no spoilers!

If anyone has seen Coraline, is it any good? I have to take my daughter at the weekend.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Thu May 21, 2009 11:13 pm

Govangirl - I went to see Coraline (3D) with my daughter last weekend (she's 6 and found it a bit scary) I found it pretty surreal and touch avant garde and not really that much of a children's film to be honest. That said, the animation was fantastic, the 3D was pretty good, and the sound was incredible - so from a technical perspective very good, but definitely for older children. Not sure if that helps?
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Thu May 21, 2009 11:18 pm

No, that's great. My wee girl turned 13 last week and now thinks she is a grown-up! She really wants to see this film but was thinking it was 'just for kids' (which of course she isn't now :roll: ). I was hoping it wouldn't be too childish, for both our sakes so thanks, good news. :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:37 pm

OMG, I am just back from the cinema and have a thumping headache from all the greeting I have done. I went with my wee one to see 'My Sister's Keeper' tonight and what a weepie it is! Great film and one which leaves you both focusing on what is really important and on how blessed you are to have what you've got. Women, I'd recommend it.

And the music is fantastic too. There's a very moving part of the film where a piper plays 'Amazing Grace' beautifully, there's a lovely song called, I think, something like, 'Feels Like Home' which reminded me of going back home, a lovely song which I already knew but don't know from where sung by Jeff Buckley and a few other beautiful ones. I don't usually buy soundtracks (an exception was the one for one of my fave films, 'City of Angels') but the music really was fab.
Last edited by Govangirl on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby the ice maiden » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:53 pm

I went on Monday night to see this also-I wasn't daft, I took a whole box of tissues with me. I was bad enough reading the book!! When we were away on holiday, I went to the spa and it was the soundtrack they had on-when I heard it I had the watery eyes thinking about the story. Fantastic film.
the ice maiden
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:01 pm

Yeah, I've decided to buy the soundtrack as it has been in my head all night. I should have been as wise as you, Ice Maiden and taken tissues but I didn't and now have snotters all round the bottom of my blouse! :oops:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby sahara » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:19 am

I went to see this last nite, and practically the whole place was greeting, it was so sad, but a really good film !!!
all u could hear was people sniffing :lol:
we had some tissues with us :wink:
sahara
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Kevin Mc » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14 pm

Not in the cinema anymore, but out on DVD is "Knowing". It got slated for its reliance on CGI effects, though it looked pretty good to me on the big screen. I've got the DVD now too, so will watch that over the weekend.

This one's more of a blokey film as there's loads of explosions and stuff :D

IMDb wrote:A teacher opens a time capsule that has been dug up at his son's elementary school; in it are some chilling predictions -- some that have already occurred and others that are about to -- that lead him to believe his family plays a role in the events that are about to unfold
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc