JOE BONAMASSA

Have your say....

JOE BONAMASSA

Postby Frosty » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:06 am

I was lucky enough to get hold of tickets to see the mightly Joe Bonamassa in Sheffield last night.
When I last saw him it was about 5 years ago when he performed in front of about 100 people in a small hall.
This year 3000 turned up to a cold and wet evening at Sheffield City Hall
He was brilliant , must be in the running for the best guitarist around just now.
If any one gets a chance to catch him then you will be in for an unforgetable evening of amazing giutar playing , no politics or plugging his albums just straight into the next song plus very heart felt ''thanks '' from him to the audience.

fROSTY
Last edited by Frosty on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: JOE BONAMASSA

Postby Martin » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:24 pm

I'd never heard of him but now have two albums, Sloe Gin and The Ballad Of John Henry. Sounds good so far.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:58 pm

Martin

Sloe Gin is an amazing album , he played a few from that last night and the title track was one of the many highlites of the evening.
What do you think of his version of '' Seagull '' ?
Another highly recommended album is ''You and Me '' with Jason Bonham on drums.
Enjoy.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Martin » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:24 pm

fROSTY,
Just heard Seagull. I'm very picky when it comes to cover versions of things I like but this guy has done a real nice job, I'm very impressed. In fact, I haven't heard anything that I don't like....yet. All in all, I'm enjoying his work a lot.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Martin,

I absultely agree with you opinions on cover versions , I even stay clear of Tribute bands for the same reasons.
His version of '' Seagull '' is comparable in every sense to the original Bad Company song , it is a pity that he didn't play it last night but that is certainly not a complaint as the concert , from 2015 to 2245 , was outstanding .
I'm glad you are enjoying his music , thank you for the feedback and , perhaps Argyll FM may play'' Sloe Gin'' ( there is after all a local musical link there ! ) to allow the good people of Kintyre to hear the fantastic music played by Joe Bonamassa

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby £3.73 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:21 pm

I had a listen to this guy Frosty. Thanks for posting.

I agree that he's an excellent guitar player, but I don't really hear a "unique musical voice".
I may be wrong, but I just hear someone who's learned to play everything in his record collection (albeit extremely well).
Maybe I'm missing something, so I'll keep listening.

Keep them coming, it's great to hear what other people are listening to !

most days I feel like Gene Hackman in the Poseidon Adventure
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Frosty » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:47 pm

£3.73

I can understand what you are saying , however when you hear him live then the amazing guitar playing covers up any other blemishes in his vocal performance. He plays heavy music in a blues style , not rock music with blues in it.
Thanks for all the feedback lads , I'm glad my recommendation was apprieciated.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Sun May 03, 2009 11:46 am

Frosty,

I've had a bad back for a couple of months and this morning I went to a masseuse for help. I was wearing a Journey 2008 Tour t-shirt and she commented that she was a fan as well. We got talking about our musical tastes and she said that she had recently been to Glasgow to see Joe Bonamassa. She put on one of his CDs, and on my first hearing I liked him.

Not your typical massage music, but it sure beats the sound of whales and dolphins, or listening to a tropical downpour in a rain forest. Didn't stop the pain of the massage though--brutal--but my sore back feels a lot better now. :D
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Mon May 04, 2009 10:06 am

Rab,

I'm sure the back ground music of Joe Bonamassa had your full attention while your back was being massaged!
I thought his music would appeal to you and I'm glad that your back also benefited from the visit.
I think he is going to play a few more dates in the UK during the later part of this year , Edinburgh and Nottingham are included in November I think.

fROSTY
Last edited by Frosty on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Frosty » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:08 am

I've just finished listening to Joe Bonamassa 's new album '' Black Rock ''.
One of the best tracks is''Night Life ' ,an old Willie Nelson song , on which B.B. King duets with Joe , both vocally and on his famous Luccille guitar.However , the highlight of this album , for me , is a Leonard Cohen song '' Bird On A Wire''.
All of Joe Bonamassas studio Albums are a mixture of his own new material and carefully chosen cover versions , this is no exception.Recorded in Greece , its influence can be heard in a few of the tracks , where the local musicians combined their instruments with Joes guitars really well.
The music , that has been produced by Kevin Shirley , he has worked with Led Zepplin , Areosmith and others , is amazing.
The track '' Blue and Evil '' is very ''Physical Graffity '' -Era Led Zep.
If playing your music loud is what you crave? Then this album is a must! From the opening track '' Steal your Heart away '' to the last track, recorded on the final day in the studio, '' Baby you gotta change your mind '' you'll keep the volume control up in the high numbers.
As Joe says in his cover notes.
'' The result is an album that is the product of good times , reckless abandonmemt and the enviroment in which it was recorded.---------- turn it up loud as you want.It is a good thing.
Have a listen and let me know what the members think.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:59 am

Frosty wrote:I've just finished listening to Joe Bonamassa 's new album '' Black Rock ''.
the highlight of this album , for me , is a Leonard Cohen song '' Bird On A Wire''.

Have a listen and let me know what the members think.

fROSTY

Had a listen on Spotify Frosty and not my cup of tea.IMHO the arrangement is terrible and he does not have the vocal ability of Cohen.........or the guy below,whose version I have submitted. 8)

I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Thanks Bill , I will listen to Mr Cash's version when I get home , I was not aware that he covered the song.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Frosty » Sun May 30, 2010 9:31 am

The even mightier Joe Bonamassa was in South Yorkshire again last night!
This time 3500 turned up to see him in a converted Steel Works adjacent to Meadowhall .
What this man can do with a guitar , in a live enviroment , is amazing.
At 2020 Judas Priest came through the racks of speakers followed 3 mins later by the opening chords of '' The Ballad Of John Henry ''.The quality of the music , sound and volume was spot on , Joe walked on stage and for the next 2Hrs and 15 Mins he supassed all expectations.
At 2100 the opening notes of '' Further On Up The Road '' came from one of his many guitars. This was followed by the awesome '' Sloe Gin ''.A lot of Bands would play what is regarded as their ''best tracks '' at the end of the concert.However Joe has thrown this pair in early and this serves as a base line for the remainder of the concert.
Song after song , even a great version of ''Young Man Blues '' are given huge applause from the audience.
At 2210 they leave the stage.The crowd bring him back on and the first notes of ''Bird On A Wire '' are offered to the crowd.
Now Bill left me a reply on his views on the version which is on Joes current album. To a degree , I agree that it is over worked.In the Magna Centre last night this song was played in a completely different manner resulting in this being one of the highlites of the concert ,if anyone can find it on ''YouTube'' then it is worth a viewing.
Joe , Rick Melick ( on Keyboards ), Carmine Rojas( on Bass ) and Bogie Bowles on drums performed one of the best concerts I have had the pleasure of attending.In my opinion last evening suppassed the '' Live From The Albert Hall '' concert which ended last years Tour.
Catch him at The Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow October 18th .

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Frosty » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Joe Bonamassa , Glenn Hughes , Jason Bonham and Derek Sherinian(Keyboards) have formed a ''SUPERGROUP '' calling themselves ''Black Country Communion''.
They released a great debut album , Black Country Communion , a few weeks ago , apologies for not disussing this sooner but the first copy ,from Play.com ,would not load up in any CD player I own.
Definitely one of the best debut albums ever , well written and played the way Music used to be.
Have a listen as I don't think there is a bad track , I'm sure that all the rockers out there will agree that this is one of the best albums produced in a long time.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Frosty » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:08 pm

The mighty Joe Bonamassa is back, this time playing an Arena Tour, in Nottingham on Sunday 16th Oct.
fROSTY will, of course, be in attendance and he is really looking forward to hearing the best of the songs from the '' Dust Bowl '' album which Joe released this year.
With the addittional release, earlier this year, of the second Black Country Communion, 2, there has been two high quality CDs to play constantly in my car.
I was on holiday when BCC toured, in July, so I would have been disapointed if I had missed out on Joe's tour too?

fROSTY
Last edited by Frosty on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc