Never judge a book/singer by it's cover

Have your say....

Re: Never judge a book/singer by it's cover

Postby Govangirl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:35 am

EMDEE wrote:Maybe not relevant, but does anybody know how much these two tossers get paid for standing in the wings making inane comments and gestures? Their input to the programme is pretty insubstantial. :evil:

The woman from Blackburn is way ahead of them in the talent ratings!

Oh Emdee, you're going to have to force me to 1) disagree with you, and 2) post drivel! I love these two! :D

And that 'Cry Me a River' track is just beautiful! How come someone didn't pick up on that voice at the time? Maybe the book's cover again? :(
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Govangirl wrote:
EMDEE wrote:Maybe not relevant, but does anybody know how much these two tossers get paid for standing in the wings making inane comments and gestures? Their input to the programme is pretty insubstantial. :evil:

The woman from Blackburn is way ahead of them in the talent ratings!

Oh Emdee, you're going to have to force me to 1) disagree with you, and 2) post drivel! I love these two! :D

I still think they're tossers! :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:21 pm

Hurrah I thought!! A thread full of peace and harmony :lol: I really like Ant and Dec too they are great family entertainers and really make me laugh. I did however think there were a couple of times in last weeks show that I felt the camera didn't really need to be on them! One of these moments I think was when Susan was singing. I hear she is being called "Paula Potts" :D . I felt really bad for judging her too on appearance :oops:
but what a voice! The Greek father and son were fantastic and again I was expecting them not be very good, they were so funny! The other favourite(s) in our house was dance group Flawless! They certainly lived up to their name....fantastic!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:53 pm

Ags wrote:Hurrah I thought!! A thread full of peace and harmony :lol:

It would stay that way too Ags if Emdee had stayed on topic,which is about Susan Doyle,not Ant and Dec. :roll:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:41 pm

I went of topic because I thought their interjections were intrusive and unnecessary. :(
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:57 pm

Some singers do rubbish covers.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:46 am

Just to inject a wee bit of debate into this otherwise peaceful thread :wink: I can't help but think that if she had been a reasonable-looking, 24 year-old female from Blackburn, with exactly the same voice - not an eye would have been batted! No-one would be talking about her, and everyone would probably just have said "that girls got a nice voice, but shouldn't she be on X Factor!?" The 24 year-old certainly wouldn't be doing breakfast TV in the US.

Seems strange the music industry gets a hard time for being all about image, and trying to project the "glamorous" female image. And everyone has suddenly jumped on the bandwagon, simply because of her image. So image is everything then?

In reality she's clearly got a good voice, but is she any better than probably thousands of other singers in the UK? Seems strange that she gets all of the publicity simply because she looks like a reject from the spinster factory. Not sure what it says about society at the moment, seems more like people are looking at her in a "freak show" type way :? :?

Just my thoughts on it :wink:
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:11 am

Good points there Sheik, we are maybe stunned by her voice just because it's so different from what we were expecting. Still think she does deserve some recognition! :D

Some perormers can be partly carried through because of their looks. In this case it's purely the musical performance that is carrying her through.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Annie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:22 am

Well, in the States it is really big news. I think she was fantastic, and I hope she goes all the way and beats everybody!

So now I'm fighting off questions like "Do you know Susan Boyle?" And "Does everybody in Scotland sing like that?"

FFS! If my life depended on my cat strangled voice, I'd have been dead many years ago! LMAO

Go for it Susan!

Thanks for posting this, I really enjoyed this thread!
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Annie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:23 am

P.S.:

I can't wait for her CD to come out. I definitely will buy a couple of copies!
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:08 am

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:Just to inject a wee bit of debate into this otherwise peaceful thread :wink: I can't help but think that if she had been a reasonable-looking, 24 year-old female from Blackburn, with exactly the same voice - not an eye would have been batted! No-one would be talking about her, and everyone would probably just have said "that girls got a nice voice, but shouldn't she be on X Factor!?" The 24 year-old certainly wouldn't be doing breakfast TV in the US.

Seems strange the music industry gets a hard time for being all about image, and trying to project the "glamorous" female image. And everyone has suddenly jumped on the bandwagon, simply because of her image. So image is everything then?

In reality she's clearly got a good voice, but is she any better than probably thousands of other singers in the UK? Seems strange that she gets all of the publicity simply because she looks like a reject from the spinster factory. Not sure what it says about society at the moment, seems more like people are looking at her in a "freak show" type way :? :?

Just my thoughts on it :wink:

Sheik, I can see your point, but don't agree. I listened to the song Bill posted, Cry Me a River, and I think the woman is absolutely amazing. Thank god they didn't throw her out because she didn't fit the mold of what everyone should look like. Here's to real people! Here's to Susan Boyle!

Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:50 am

Not sure if you missed my point there Bobby, IMHO, the only reason she's there is because of the way she looks. She does have a fantastic voice, but I'm sure there will be many other very talented singers up-and-down the country who can sing like her - she will progress simply because of her image. I simply found that very ironic.

Hop on.........

Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:03 am

With the wild hair and those eyebrows I can't help but think of dear old Mrs. Smith.
Such a sweet voice however.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:54 am

I personally thought it was very brave of her to go on to BGT in the first place. I don't watch these programs but my wife told me to look at the clip on youtube. My first impression (before she sang) was that she looked a slightly plump, middle-aged frumpy housewife. I hoped she could sing, because looking at the reaction of the audience and the judges, I felt she would be laughed off the stage by them if she couldn't. Luckily she had the voice of an angel.

Then the patronising started.

Why are you not expected to succeed or to achieve if you are not attractive or physically appealing? And given the looks on the faces of the audience before Susan Boyle sang, it seems that you have to be reasonably good-looking to even get common respect nowadays.

I hope she does well and I hope she doesn't change too much.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Malky wrote:I personally thought it was very brave of her to go on to BGT in the first place. I don't watch these programs but my wife told me to look at the clip on youtube. My first impression (before she sang) was that she looked a slightly plump, middle-aged frumpy housewife. I hoped she could sing, because looking at the reaction of the audience and the judges, I felt she would be laughed off the stage by them if she couldn't. Luckily she had the voice of an angel.

Then the patronising started.

Why are you not expected to succeed or to achieve if you are not attractive or physically appealing? And given the looks on the faces of the audience before Susan Boyle sang, it seems that you have to be reasonably good-looking to even get common respect nowadays.

I hope she does well and I hope she doesn't change too much.

Malky

Hear, hear! And the wonderful thing about her is, she seems to understand people's reactions and doesn't even flinch. She seems to be very endearing.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc