Slumdog Millionaire

Have your say....

Re: Slumdog Millionaire

Postby Ags » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:46 pm

Finally saw this tonight and really enjoyed it!! Sorry Horse but I thought Danny Boyle did a grand job and thoroughly deserved his oscar! Has anybody read the book - was it accurate to the original story??
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:27 pm

Not really Ags, in fact, the girl and therefore love interest, does not feature in it at all. It is about the appearance of him on Who Wants... and if I remember right, it wasn't even called Slumdog but (I think) Q and A or something. When the film came out a colleague loved it and got the book so I borrowed it.
But tell me honestly, would you allow your wee one to watch it as I did?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:02 pm

What does the green dot next to your name mean Ags? I just think that the dancing bit is ridiculous. Fair enough if it was in keeping with the rest of the film, but I didn't think it was. As someone said, I think my problem was watching it after hearing all the hype. I think it was Bill who said it, actually.

I'm going to take a guess and say the green dot meant you were online, cos it's gone now, and there's one on my box. :lol:
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:11 pm

I did let her watch it - I gauged reactions and opinions of everybody I knew who had seen it, and decided to go for it! She didn't like the bit when Jamal got locked in the toilet and ended up covered in the poo :roll: and the bit at the end with the guns, but to be perfectly honest, the bit with the eyes went completely over her head as I thought it might!! Hope the holiday is going well, give us a wee wave if there is a clear day GG, forecast not brilliant though!! It maybe meant that I was in the middle of replying Horse not sure!! I know what you mean, I hate watching something the whole country have portrayed as brilliant, I usually find I am disappointed but I wasn't with this one.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:49 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote: I just think that the dancing bit is ridiculous.

Actually, I think the dancing scene at the end was a tribute and homage to Bollywood dance scenes which I thought was a flash of Boyle brilliance.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:17 pm

I just didn't think it suited the tone. I also think some of the later questions were a bit too easy. I thought everyone would have got Aramis, wouldn't they?
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:54 pm

Well, surely the tone is one of optimism? Every step of the slumdog's journey is a triumph over the odds so why not show a wee bit of traditional Indian celebration, not even in the film itself but in the credits.
And no, the question was only easy if you had been brought up in a Western culture.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Lossit Lass » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:33 am

Just watched it & really enjoyed it. I liked the dancing at the end, too...it was during the credits as GG points out, not part of the movie itself. It would've been cheesy if had been in the film.

I rarely go to the theater, waiting for dvd instead, so I have a lot of time to hear all the hype & feedback about movies before I ever get to see them. I always wonder if my disappointment (even if slight) is in the movie itself or due to unfair expectations for it. This is one reason why I get such satisfaction from Independent films. Not only do I not get bombarded with unsolicited hype, but in the end I feel like I've been given something of real substance, art for art's sake, inspiring, thought provoking. I am rarely disappointed. Slumdog worked in that way for the most part, even tho it was pretty 'Hollywood'.
Suppose they held a war and nobody came?
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:13 pm

Govangirl wrote:Well, surely the tone is one of optimism? Every step of the slumdog's journey is a triumph over the odds so why not show a wee bit of traditional Indian celebration, not even in the film itself but in the credits.
And no, the question was only easy if you had been brought up in a Western culture.

Did they not get Dogtanian in India then? Poor souls. :D
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Lossit Lass » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:45 am

Lossit Lass wrote:I liked the dancing at the end, too...it was during the credits as GG points out, not part of the movie itself. It would've been cheesy if had been in the film.

here I go, quoting myself again :roll: ............but I wanted to add that I just read that the song they dance to is titled 'Jai Ho' which "epitomizes victory". That makes the scene a perfect closing to the movie!!
Suppose they held a war and nobody came?
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Previous

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc