Sherlock Holmes

Have your say....

Sherlock Holmes

Postby NelsonL1995 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:06 pm

Just wondering if anybody has ever seen - Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles.

We were reading the book in English and then watched the movie to compare them.. Now we have to write and Essay but thats not the point :lol:
Anyway, If you havn't seen it I recommend that you do. If you have seen it, tell me what you thought.

Here is a link to buy the DVD - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000087LOL/ref=s9_subs_c5_s2_p74_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1PT1QXCNGKMX00JW8NP7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463374953&pf_rd_i=468294
This one with Richard Grant and Ian Hart is the best I think - The newest anyway.
'' If it seems to good to be true, It probably is.''
NelsonL1995
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Postby Dunc R » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi Nelson,

Thought I woold reply on your essay. How about if you touch upon different topics. Here are possible examples for you.

• The author paid certain attention to the horrible image of the hound. You may want to present a descriptive Hound of the Baskervilles essay. Write about dog’s enormous shape, his sparkling eyes and terrible jaws. Was it really so? Tell about the real nature of this “terrible” dog in your essay.

• The theme of damnation is also a theme in this book. You may want t o develop this topic in your Hound of the Baskervilles essays. Write whether people are actually under control of own destiny or it is just one more trick of people’s imagination.

• Describe in the way Holmes carried out his investigation. Mention about his great deductive methods and the way he untangled the case with the Baskervilles.

Good luck Dunc
Dunc R
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby numberplease » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:53 pm

The version I remember was the one starring Basil Rathbone, gives a clue as to my age!
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:47 pm

I recall the Basil Rathbone one - they used to show you it in parts at the back of 7pm if I remember correctly. Think the black and white version makes it eary...

The 8 parts are on YouTube at

http://uk.youtube.com/results?search_ty ... hbone&aq=f

Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:35 pm

I think it's great that you enjoyed it so much and want to recommend it. I use the Ian Richardson DVD and the kids love it despite its age. If you want to read more Holmes, you MUST read the short story The Speckled Band! His best! :D
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby NelsonL1995 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Thank you for all your posts.

Dunc, I have printed off your post and I will use that later :)

GovanGirl, I will take a look at that story possibly tomorrow.

Thanks, NelsonL. :wink:
'' If it seems to good to be true, It probably is.''
NelsonL1995
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc