Free downloads:

http://npmusic.org/artists.html

Enjoy!
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:13 pm

Loved the Cajun music in the film Southern Comfort, it has stuck with me since first seeing it back in '91....great film too!

Maybe you can tell me Dorian what the connection, is between theMetic and the Cajuns....used to know all it but I've forgotten! gettin' oul' you see!
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

the Metic

Postby dgraves » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:22 pm

Hi, 4th Gen-

The metic might fit in with the other culture in Louisiana, the Creoles. They are believed to have descended from (non-Anglo/Saxon) French and Spanish aristocracy. This group was a very closed society, with privileges and acceptance only for those members of their own culture. A foreigner (or metic) would never have been allowed to 'belong' no matter how many years the 'outsider' lived among them (sometimes generations). This group also has a smattering of Native Am Indian and African blood.

The Cajuns are descendants of the French Acadians (Nova Scotia in Canada). The English tried to force them to change their language (to English) and religion (Catholic to Protestant) in Canada, but they resisted and the English deported them south. About 3000 of them originally were established in the marshes of Louisiana. Others followed over the centuries. The other nationalities heard 'Cajun' from the archaic French pronunciation of A-ca-dian. The Cajuns accepted (and still do) any other peoples that intermarry with them or live among them. The Cajun French is a mixture of old French, German, various Am Indian languages, Spanish, etc. These other peoples seem to quickly accept the 'Cajun' culture.

Hey, I'm not on a tangent, am I? :lol:

I've only been to New Orleans once. It is an experience I'll never forget. The people have their own fantastic culture and music. Every hair on my head stood straight up when I saw a funeral procession going through the French Quarter. They were playing 'When The Saints Come Marching In', with a full brass band, dancers and singers.
Last edited by dgraves on Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:41 pm

Dorian, you were not on a tangent and that was all very interesting indeed but I think I maybe sent you off in the wrong direction by typing Metic instead of Metis....although maybe not!!

I always kind of thought the Metis were a French Canadian/native Canadian group of people...a tribe I suppose, some of whom were chucked out of Canada and made their way South to Louisiana....so we were not too far off line......must check my spelling!!!

Thankyou, aye learnin' aye learnin' is my motto...
Now if you can tell me about the Melungeons!!! :shock: that really would be appreciated :)
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

The Metis

Postby dgraves » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:04 am

I tell you, 4th Gen, it was a puzzle trying to figure out how a metic would relate to the Cajuns!! :lol: I finally decided you were thinking about the Creoles.

The Metis were the children of European trappers, scouts, and explorers with Native Indian women in Canada and in the US territories. Metis just means 'mixed' blood. The first settlers in America (Virginia) sometimes married Indians. Pres. Bush's family has that background.

The Metis are called Mestizos in Latin America. Mixed Indian/European blood.

The Melungeons are more complicated! (You could read an hour!) Not to over simplify, but they are believed to be the first Europeans in America. When the Europeans arrived in North Am. in the 1500's, the Melungeons were present, speaking English and they had English names. When asked their origin, they claimed to be 'Portygee' or Portuguese. They were small, dark copper skinned with fine European features.

They now are considered tri-racial, having over the centuries intermingled with the Africans and/or Indians. In Louisiana, they are also called Redbones from the West Indian words red ibo meaning mixture. These people migrated further south from Virginia, North and South Carolina.

Here is a question for you, John. I read somewhere years ago that Scotland was populated at one time with a similar race of small, dark, fine-featured people. Who were they?
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: The Metis

Postby Bobbly Juck » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:11 am

dgraves wrote:Here is a question for you, John. I read somewhere years ago that Scotland was populated at one time with a similar race of small, dark, fine-featured people. Who were they?

Bochans!
There's nae water under the bridge!
Bobbly Juck
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

////////////

Postby Neil » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:55 pm

////////////////////////////////
Last edited by Neil on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil
Active Poster
Active Poster

Great BIG Goblins!

Postby dgraves » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:49 pm

Bobbly Juck wrote:
dgraves wrote:Here is a question for you, John. I read somewhere years ago that Scotland was populated at one time with a similar race of small, dark, fine-featured people. Who were they?

Bochans!

Bobbly, be careful! You're going to get your tail feathers singed, swimming around in hot water. I wouldn't be calling your Carradale Bochan Mor (Mhor) neighbors little or tiny :shock: :lol:
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Great link dgraves

Postby dgraves » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:02 pm

Neil wrote:http://npmusic.org/artists.html

"The English tried to force them to change their language (to English) and religion (Catholic to Protestant) in Canada, but they resisted and the English deported them south".us bloody english eh?. :wink:

I shall keep that link and have a good listen,cheers.

Hi Neil-

The Acadian deportation was definitely Canada's loss and our great gain!

To know the Cajuns is to feel their music. Glad you enjoy it!
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Great link dgraves

Postby LO » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:12 am

[quote="dgraves

To know the Cajuns is to feel their music. Glad you enjoy it![/quote]

Hey Dorian - looking forward to a good listen over the next couple of weeks, but no sign of Rockin Dopsie and his Cajun Twisters on there :cry: I think (I hope!) that I still have a copy of their Hold On! album on vinyl in the cupboard and that some day my wife will relent and allow me to get another record deck. I don't know why but this vinyl nostalgia makes me think of the Texan punk -polka kings Brave Combo. Have you ever come across them? Their Yiddish Polka version of The Doors' "People are Strange" is something to behold and makes you think that the title is a bit understated!

Les
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Rockin Dopsie and his Cajun Twisters

Postby dgraves » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:46 pm

Hi Les,

I do have some of the old Rockin Dopsie and his Cajun Twisers records! They were the best!

I have spent quite some time looking for a free download site :cry: I found oodles of sites where the music is for sale. Guess I'll have to break down and buy a couple of CD's or look for a new turn table.

My old records are a collection going way back to my parents. My dad was a blues trumpet player (also harmonica) and my mom played piano.
I never had a music lesson, but I play by ear. Anyway, that old collection is in storage, like yours!
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Rockin Dopsie and his Cajun Twisters

Postby Malky » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:35 pm

dgraves wrote:I never had a music lesson, but I play by ear.

Doesn't your ear get sore Dorian :wink:

My grandfather used to fiddle with his whiskers. ......... :roll: :wink:

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

playing by ear

Postby dgraves » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:25 pm

Oh, verrrrry funny, Malky! :? :lol: !
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Brave Combo

Postby dgraves » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:52 pm

Hi, Les

Just to listen to samples of Brave Combo music: (The Doors "People are Strange" wasn't among them.)

http://www.brave.com/bo/sounds/

It was fun listening to some old Latino (Hispanic) songs I grew up with in South America played to the Brave Combo interpretation! (Besame Mucho (Kiss Me (a lot)), La Paloma (The Dove), Acariciame (Caress Me))

A Texas (Tex/Mex) band that has made it big in recent years is Los Lonely Boys with their songs "Heaven" and "Onda"( meaning 'wave' guitar playing reminiscent of Carlos Santana (the greatest!)
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby LO » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:41 pm

Hi Dorian

Had a listen to some of the samples - not familiar with anything beyond their first album from many moons ago, but good fun as you say. I must say that their collaboration album with Tiny Tim sounds bizarre and that is borne out by the clip of "Stairway to Heaven" - I would like to hear the whole song some day!

Will look out for Los Lonely Boys - they will surely have a web site?

Les
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Next

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc