Dorian Graves on the James Blunt album?

Have your say....

Dorian Graves on the James Blunt album?

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:58 pm

Dorian, is that you that James Blunt is singing about on track 5 - Tears and Rain on his album Back to Bedlam? :lol:

Was listening to this today in the car and I am squite sure ihe sings...

I guess it's time I run far, far away; find comfort in pain,
All pleasure's the same: it just keeps me from trouble.
Hides my true shape, like Dorian Graves.

:shock: :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Dorian Gray

Postby dgraves » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:41 pm

Davie, he's probably saying Dorian Gray (from The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde) Tale about a beautiful young man that traded his soul to the devil for unchanging, unaging beauty. What the character should have known was that the devil never trades without a sting in the tail. The sting in this case was a portrait of Dorian Gray that continued to age, with horrible marks picturing all of his sins against his friends and society. Dorian Gray had to keep the picture hidden in an attic...until the end of the story. He remained young and beautiful, while his friends aged. But his soul was corrupt and his true form was revealed in the portrait.

I've had enough teasing with my name being Dorian Graves :? :lol:

I'll have to get the album, now!!
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ChrisA » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:47 am

It's a great album. Despite the grief that Mr Blunt is getting ( Bland, old hat, etc) I think his unique voice and way with a pretty melody is quite refreshing.

There's not a duff track on the album - a rare feat these days.

I can even forgive his awful lyrical turns. I mean, ok, He fancies this bird, but she's with another bloke? Not to worry though, seem he has a 'plan'. Thing is, seems the plan involves him facing "the truth" and jumping into the sea. :shock: Er, yeah, great plan. :?

At the end of the day though, he doesn't' care. His life is brilliant. See? 8)
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Album 'Back to Bedlam'

Postby dgraves » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:50 pm

OK Chris, its a good thing I know of a shop that allows you to preview (prelisten ? :lol: ) the albums with head sets before you purchase. I'm sure the album is good, but why not listen a bit first if it is free? :wink:

This forum is very handy, Davie.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Wee Toon Ajax » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:52 pm

Davie P

Now imagine not knowing who Dorian Gray was. Jeez, did you ever read at all. Letting the side down there.

:D

BTW not heard much of James Blunt only the one song but strikes me as a bit of a Jeff Buckley clone both in looks and sound. Far better off listening to the album "Grace" by Buckley imho. Now that is a class act, pity he died whilst still young.

Good compilation album coming out soon which is cover of songs by Jeff Buckley and his late father Tim Buckley. Includes an absolutely brilliant version of "Song ot the Siren" by a Scottish folk artist called James Yorkston. I strongly recommend any of Yorkston's 2 albums - beautiful stuff.

In fact forget Blunt and buy some good Scottish talent in James Yorkston instead :lol:
If, after all, men cannot always make history have meaning, they can always act so that their own lives have one.

Camus
Wee Toon Ajax
Active Poster
Active Poster

Dorian Gray

Postby dgraves » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:43 pm

Hi Wee Toon,

I'm positive Davie has read Oscar Wilde- Probably in your equivalent of high school. That is when I was introduced. Davie thought I was a man (along with everyone else) when I first signed up on the site because of 'Dorian Gray' until I said otherwise.

I'm used to it. At least once a week I get a comment- but always from strangers. Those that know me can't imagine a male Dorian. ( :lol: Old Dorian Gray just fades away......)

Thanks for the suggestions on the Scottish folk artist James Yorkston :D I'll certainly have a look (listen).
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:13 pm

WTA - Jee Whizz - I was joking! :shock: I seem to think about this damm forum too much and when I heard the song I thought it sounded like Dorian Graves so I posted....

Doh! Anyway, you know I don't read much :shock:

Dorian - I always thought you were a woman - afterall , Dorian is a woman's name :wink:

PS - Chris - can you change your avatar - far too big! 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LO » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:39 pm

Wee Toon Ajax wrote:Davie P

Now imagine not knowing who Dorian Gray was. Jeez, did you ever read at all. Letting the side down there.

:D

BTW not heard much of James Blunt only the one song but strikes me as a bit of a Jeff Buckley clone both in looks and sound. Far better off listening to the album "Grace" by Buckley imho. Now that is a class act, pity he died whilst still young.

Good compilation album coming out soon which is cover of songs by Jeff Buckley and his late father Tim Buckley. Includes an absolutely brilliant version of "Song ot the Siren" by a Scottish folk artist called James Yorkston. I strongly recommend any of Yorkston's 2 albums - beautiful stuff.

In fact forget Blunt and buy some good Scottish talent in James Yorkston instead :lol:

More like Bernie Flint than Jeff Buckley - Grace knocks poor Mr Blunt's simpering into a bucket of salt herring. Quite right about the other James though - both albums are outstanding. BTW Robert Plant did a no' bad version of "Song of the Siren" on his last album but one. Funnily enough, Grace, Planty and Yorkston have featured regularly on The Acoustic Alternative on Argyll FM over the last couple of years, although it continues to remain a Blunt-free zone.....
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:56 pm

Yep. Jeff Buckley > James Blunt
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Wee Toon Ajax » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:01 am

LO wrote: Funnily enough, Grace, Planty and Yorkston have featured regularly on The Acoustic Alternative on Argyll FM over the last couple of years, although it continues to remain a Blunt-free zone.....

Nice to hear somebody else has heard of Mr Yorkston in the town and plays his stuff. Absolutely love his 2 albums, 2 of my favourites from the last few years. Was thinking about writing a review of these for the site and after your interest LO think I shall do so.

Was lucky enough to see James Yorkston play in Amsterdam earlier this year. Badly publicised gig starting at 6 on a sunday evening. 20 turned up, which was a bloody shame but James came out and played a blinder. Decided to do 20 songs, one for each member of the audience. Have to say it was one of the gigs of the year so far.

Good review here if you want further reading

http://www.incendiarymag.com/html/modul ... le&sid=549
If, after all, men cannot always make history have meaning, they can always act so that their own lives have one.

Camus
Wee Toon Ajax
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LO » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:45 pm

James Yorkston at the Wee Picture House sounds a great gig!
Killer version of "Snows they Melt the Soonest" which is a great song but usually sung ballad style (check out Dick Gaughan's "Handful of Earth) and "Shipwreckers" is brilliant.

Les
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Back to Bedlam

Postby dgraves » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:45 pm

Well, what do ya know, Davie...

I bought the Back to Bedlam album yesterday-finally! Shauna put it on her Christmas list for the "You're Beautiful" song. It plays every 5 minutes on XM Radio. :D
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Wee Toon Ajax » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:27 am

Well just have to post this link to a pastiche of "that' song called Your Gullible. Its great you even get to splat him with tomatos.

http://eclectech.co.uk/gullible.php

Camus
Wee Toon Ajax
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby dgraves » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:46 pm

:lol: :lol:

I listened to it a couple of months ago... it wound up on Santa's list, Camus!
Hey! There's no accounting for taste, is there?? Yours or hers :roll: :D
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc