The Cosmos Rocks

Have your say....

The Cosmos Rocks

Postby Martin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:52 am

The new album from Paul Rodgers, Brian May & Roger Taylor (I refuse to call them Queen). Anyone heard it yet ? I got hold of it and it's growing on me slowly but surely.
I thought not very much of the "Queen" sound but loads of Bad Company and Free, or maybe that is just Rodger's voice making me think that ?
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: The Cosmos Rocks

Postby Frosty » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:16 pm

Hi Martin,
It was sent to me on Monday , but I only got back to the UK last night, so I've spent the early hours of this morning listening to it.
There isn't a bad track on it , I'll be seeing them live in Sheffield next month so I am looking forward to seeing them play some tracks live.
I agree , there is a lot of Paul Rodgers contained in the songs but there seems to be a large influence from Roger Taylor , I don't know if you have ever heard his solo work. . However Brian Mays guitar work is brilliant and you can imediately recognise the riffs.
The opening track certainly rocks.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Martin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:54 am

Nope, haven't heard any solo stuff by Taylor, did enjoy May's solo effort - Back To The Light though.
Perhaps you can give us a review of their concert in Sheffield ?
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby £3.73 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:25 pm

Just listened to this album.

I must agree with John Deacon (Queen bass player) who is now retired and justifiably exremely angry with Brain May & Roger Taylor.

Stripping away the big Queen production, the listener is left with a bunch of unispired, cliched & unremarkable songs which wouldn't have made it onto any of the Free albums I've heard.

If they'd called themselves something other than Queen+ (fill in the blanks) , it may have had more integrity, but still wouldn't merit a second listen.

Queen's studio albums were never that great. The songs only came alive in a live enviroment.
They were, and possibly still are, an AWESOME live band.

I'd be interested to know what Rab McD thinks !!! ;p

My own view is that the Queen legacy shouldn't be associated with rubbish like this.
most days I feel like Gene Hackman in the Poseidon Adventure
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby maxmix » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:39 pm

Bit different ;) Got it a little while back.... I liked the tracks

Small
We Believe (Freddy would have sung this well :) )
Call me ;)
Some things that glitter
Say it's not true
Cosmos Rockin
and
Time to shine

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:41 pm

Why do you put your names at the bottom of your posts when it already says who you are at the side? I dont get that.

runt
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby maxmix » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:46 am

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:Why do you put your names at the bottom of your posts when it already says who you are at the side? I dont get that.

runt

Well.... Since you ask :) I've done it that way since about 2001.... Reason !

Out of say 30,000 posts on all the forums i'm on.... I can find any post or topic going back years....

or If I miss 'New Posts' etc.... Just think of all the times I have typed 'maxmix' after my post for 7-8 years.... :shock:

So if I want to pull a topic up from years back or find something, I would 'Search' ''maxmix+water''

so there you go, the post from so many years back would be in front of me.... (Easy to find certain posts or Pictures)

The time I have wasted over the years with that theory lol (As long as the VB DB aint fooked up over the years that is :) )

L8r

maxmix lol

PS Also when you are buying and selling on forums.... It's easy to find when you bought or sold an item if a dispute or problem comes up ;)
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:55 am

I totally, 100% agree with £3.73. Nothing to add to it, he has said it all.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:55 am

Just in case anyone is thinking i was referring to others with the runt bit, I was meaning myself. I actually put C U Next Tuesday Face there but it changed it all to runt.
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:13 pm

I'm sure everyone will agree that there is not one person who could replace Freddie Mercury so this could never be Queen with a new vocalist. If you listen to this album with that idea then you will not enjoy the music !
This is a coming together of these two great musical genes , hence Queen + Paul Rodgers

I didn't think John Deacon had made any comments , £3.73 , though I'm sure that he would have been more than welcome in 2005 and this year.

I will gladly report back on the concert , Martin , they are amazing live together , just watch Return Of The Champions as I was at that concert (Sheffield in 2005 ) , just as Queen were and Paul Rodgers is too during his solo tours.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:53 pm

£3.73--for me, Queen were finished when Freddie Mercury died. I just couldn't see him ever being replaced. Through my teenage years, I became a massive fan and on through the eighties, until he died, ironically I think, on my birthday, on Sunday November 24th 1991.

I don't think that Brian May and Roger Taylor can rightly call themselves Queen, being only half the band, but it's not for me to tell them what to do!

I've listened to snippets of The Cosmos Rocks, still being affiliated to "Queen Online" and they sent out an online link to pieces of each new song, but I can't say that I've given it much time. I haven't been to any of the concerts with Paul Rogers either as I would prefer to confine Mercury, May, Taylor and Deacon to my very fond memories, having seen them three times. I'm scared that those memories would be tainted with May, Taylor and Rogers, though I fully respect everyone's right to differ.

Not for me, I think.

Having said that, I went to see Journey this year, who are on their third frontman since the great Steve Perry. I saw them with Steve Augeri fronting, then Jeff Scott Soto, but Arnel Pineda blows them away and they were in the best form ever. So maybe I should take a chance on Rogers....
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:51 am

Frosty wrote:I'm sure everyone will agree that there is not one person who could replace Freddie Mercury so this could never be Queen with a new vocalist.

To be honest you can't really do that with any band when the person who is most identified as being in the band leaves. Oasis couldn't be Oasis without either Gallagher and Radiohead couldn't be Radiohead without Thom Yorke, so I completely agree with you. However, the only thing I think Queen ever did that was any use was the Highlander soundtrack and in their later years they became nothing but a pop band, so I have no interest in this at all, other than to say that I have no interest in it.
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby £3.73 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:13 am

Well Horse, RabMcd actually has made a great point !

Journey went out and found a brilliant replacement for Steve Perry ... he's perfect.
(found him on youtube I believe !!!)

Freddie Mercury on the other hand is arguably the greatest rock showman of all time, and had an inimitable voice.
(although the dude on Stars in your eyes was not bad)

Brian May & Roger Taylor are outstanding musicians, but they shouldn't be trading as Queen.
John Deacon wrote many of the hits !!! (so maybe he can afford to retire before the other 2)

Paul Rodgers, had/has a great voice ... but let's face it, a few rock classics aside, he's very one dimensional & has no shame when it comes to chugging out cliched lyrics & riffs.

Queen's music on the other hand was as diverse as it gets ... from opera to funk to rock to prog to country to 20s jazz to classical to pop to metal.
most days I feel like Gene Hackman in the Poseidon Adventure
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby smokynuk » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:52 pm

Roger Taylor tried to set up his own band even before Freddie Mercury died. It was a long time ago (cant remember what the band was called), i think i even bought their album, but with that failure i can see why Taylor and May are still trading under the Queen name - perhaps trying to hang onto past glories.

I always thought that if the remaining Queen members wanted to continue producing music they would have been better of collaborating with different artists for each track - much like the concert they held after freddies death.

Regardless of Brian's skill with a guitar, thoughts of Anita Dobson still crop up every time i see that hair of his.
smokynuk
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:12 am

smokynuk wrote:Regardless of Brian's skill with a guitar, thoughts of Anita Dobson still crop up every time i see that hair of his.

5ive. :oops:
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc