The Cosmos Rocks

Have your say....

Re: The Cosmos Rocks

Postby Frosty » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:03 pm

Martin,
As requested a quick review and set list from Sheffield Arena Sunday 19th Oct.

A sell out crowd packed into the Hallam FM Arena . At 2000 the house lights dimmed and a huge thunder and lightning storm was produced across the large back drop and through the huge racks of speakers.
'' What Planet is this ? ''
'' Let there be Rock and Roll ''
( As per the opening of Cosmos Rocks )
The smoke machines had worked overtime and suddenly the mist cleared to show Brian , Roger , Spike , Danny and Jamie
The opening track , a short version of HAMMER TO FALL, set up Paul Rodgers entrance perfectly.
This was followed by...........
TIE YOUR MOTHER DOWN
FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS
ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
I WANT IT ALL
BREAK FREE
C-LEBRITY
SURFS UP.....SCHOOLS OUT
SEAGULL ( A brilliant solo rendition )
LOVE OF MY LIFE ( Emotional audience participation )
Roger Taylor was then left in the middle of the hall , on a sepaerate stage linked by a walkway to the main stage.
As he started to tap on everything he could find around him the roadie appeared ,from below ,witth individual components of a complete drum kit. As he built up the kit Roger carried on with his unique drum solo which only ended when the kit was completely built , proving he still rocked by counting in the reset of the band for a brilliant I'M IN LOVE WITH MY CAR .
ITS A KIND OF MAGIC
BAD COMPANY ( One of the Highlites of the evening )
WE BELIEVE
GUITAR SOLO ( First we see of Freddie......projected images on the giant screen behind the stage )
BIJOU
LAST HORIZON
RADIO GA GA
CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE
SHOW MUST GO ON
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (Freddie in sight and sound in a video and audio feed from an old queen concert as Brian and Roger played Live , ending with Mercury and the real life Rodgers trading vocals )

ENCORES
THE COSMOS ROCKS ( Storming )
ALl RIGHT NOW ( Mays guitar playing takes this song to a much higher level )
WE WILL ROCK YOU
WE ARE THE CAMPIONS
And finally at 2220 God Save The Queen was played , final bows taken plus a last walk down the runway for Paul , Roger and Brian , the house lights were raised and the crowd left the building and out into the cold Sheffield night.
A brilliant , much anticipated , concert and as good as 2005 DVD , ROTC

The key to enjoying these concerts is , if you need one , to think of Paul Rodgers as the singer with Queen , not the singer of Queen

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Martin » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:17 am

Thanks for that. Nice to see a good mix of tracks and certainly seems it was value for money. Excellent review.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:01 pm

Martin,

No problem , I enjoyed remembering all the details.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:39 am

Further to my previous post--I got The Cosmos Rocks as a pressie at Christmas, as a kind of therapy, I think, and I have to admit that I really like it. Paul Rodgers can still kick it, his voice still strong. I went to see Whitesnake last June and Coverdale's voice is shot, so I guess that I should tip the hat to Paul. Brian May was/is, and always will be one of the best rock guitarists to walk the planet. I love Roger Taylors intro on "Say it's not true", and his drumming riffs remain some of the things that will stay with me forever---"We will Rock You".

Some would say a bunch of old rockers reliving earlier, better days, but the fact is that talent never leaves you. Not sure about "Surf's Up. Schools Out" though.

It's taken me a long time to get over my grief, but credit where credit is due..........
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks for that Rab.
I still think it is a great album , and I agree with your views on Paul Rodgers , if there was ever going to be ''The Worlds Greatest Rock Group '' he would be the vocalist.
All the best.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:44 am

Frosty

I still think a better name for the band would be "Roger Rodgers May" :wink:
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:56 am

Brilliant , Rab , I never thought of that.
I don't know if you have ever watched the DVD of the Sheffield show in 2005 Return of the Champions , but the special edition of Cosmos has a copy of a concert in Japan recorded on that tour.
That Japan show is more like the Sheffield show for the Comos Tour , a lot more '' rough and ready. ''

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Martin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:13 pm

Frosty, watched Return Of The Champions at last and enjoyed every minute of it. I thought Rodgers made a much better job of the Queen numbers than he did of the Bad Company stuff and that surprised me.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Martin,

One of the best concerts I have ever attended , that night in Sheffield was fantastic , I couldn't speak for days after it as I was so hoarse. ( Some people said that that was a good thing ? )
Noboby knew that they were recording the show for release and everybody who was with me had no idea how Paul Rodgers would fit in with Brian and Roger. We all knew , as soon as his vocals were heard prior to his appearance on the walkway , that it was going to be a great show.
The only song they played in Sheffield that night which didn't appear on the DVD , Roger Taylor announced it and stated that it would not appear so it was for the crowd in the Arena , was Under Pressure.
Glad you enjoyed it , I don't think I'm ever seen in the crowd shots but I was on the floor just to left of the end of the walkway.
I have heard rumours that they may release a copy of one of the televisied shows from South America of the Cosmos Tour so I'll let you know if that is happening.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Martin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:22 pm

That would be nice, thanks.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:03 pm

Martin,
I've just been informed that Queen and Paul Rodgers are to release ''The Cosmos Rocks Tour'' on DVD June 15th.
The show was recorded in the Ukraine at the begining of the tour , the set list will be slightly different than the one I listed as performed in Sheffield, but I'm sure the main songs will still be included.

fROSTY
Last edited by Frosty on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Martin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:10 am

Thanks for that, I'll keep a look out for it.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:06 am

Martin,
No problem . I'm sure it will be a very good recording of a great tour.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Frosty » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:45 pm

''Live In The Ukraine'' arrived today.I have only listened to the CD s , so far, and I can thoughrly recommend it to you all.
It is a rougher sound than the indoor show at Sheffield in 2005 , exactly as they played in Sheffield earlier this year.
The highlight of this recording , as was in the Sheffield Arena , '' Bad Company ''. It is worth the price for that alone ! So turn up the volume and enjoy one of the greatest live Rock Bands in the world
I'm looking forward to sitting down at the weekend and watching the DVD,lets hope the neoghbours are out so I can blow more dust from the speakers.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Previous

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc