What are you reading just now?

Have your say....

Re: What are you reading just now?

Postby History » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:30 pm

Last edited by History on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Malky » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:55 pm

Might be as well to make it an informal thing then. Govangirl's idea of a poll might be the way to start.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:40 pm

Blimey....how will it work online? bookclub for me usually includes a few G&T's some food and lots of girlie gossip!! :shock:

Malky wrote:Might be as well to make it an informal thing then. Govangirl's idea of a poll might be the way to start.

Malky

Would a poll work? Would it not be easier to see who wants to be involved then take it in turns to pick a book? Timescale is another difficult thing? One book per month? I can read a book in 2 days if I have time but that isn't always the case for any of us? What if someone has read it in 2 days and is keen to get chatting but someone else is up to their eyes in work and it takes 3 weeks to even pick it up?

I have packed 4 books in my suitcase for the holidays ..... slightly optimistic but would rather have too much to read than too little......The Boy in the striped pyjamas by John Boyne, The Shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri and A Good Day to Die by Simon Kernick. Anyone read Shadow of the wind? Haven't heard anyone say anything bad about it?
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby WC1 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:03 am

Anyone read Shadow of the wind? Haven't heard anyone say anything bad about it?

Superb. Brilliant. I must look for other books he's written.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Wee Toon Ajax » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:37 am

WC1 wrote:
Anyone read Shadow of the wind? Haven't heard anyone say anything bad about it?

Superb. Brilliant. I must look for other books he's written.

Hi, agree a great book.

The Shadow of the Wind was a transaltion from the original Spanish. A prequel called El Juego del Angel ( The Angel's Game) was released in Spain in April of this year. A translation into English is expected to appear in latter part of 2009.

The Shadow of the Wind was Carlos Ruis Zafon's first adult book as he had previously written children's novels of which none have been translated into English as far as I am aware.

Has anybody else here been reading the numerous English translations of foreign language novels now appearing. Especially in the crime genre. Can personally recommend the novels of Jo Nesbo (Norway), Fred Vargas (France), Henning Mankell (Sweden), Perez Reverte (Spain) amongst others.
If, after all, men cannot always make history have meaning, they can always act so that their own lives have one.

Camus
Wee Toon Ajax
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:13 am

Just finished A Sense Of Freedom - Jimmy Boyle (again) and remembered I'd yet to see the film when in a state to remember watching it. Downloaded it and found it strange to see both David Hayman and Alex Norton with hair.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:49 am

Thanks WC1 and Wee toon Ajax....I have started Shadow of the Wind a few times and have always given up but people keep recommending it to me! I will persevere this time!! I am at my "quiet" job today so may manage a few chapters :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Ags, like you, I had lots of people recommending this to me. I thought the idea of the book was great but it was a real disappointment read. In fact, I hated it. I wanted to like it but it was so clumsily written (don't know if this was down to the translation or not), with a really weak narrative and was just so unbelievable, it made me scoff. The characters are not strongly drawn at all and I thought the text was too idiomatic and cliched. It will be interesting to hear what you think of it.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ileach B » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:58 pm

Just read the posts about a book club, think the idea is a great one. Think monthly would be bests, like Ag's I can read a book in a few days. But if I have other commitments like work or children, then it can be left.

Maybe a poll of a selection of 3/4 books every month and the most voted be read and discussed?
Ileach B
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ags » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:29 pm

Will let you know how I get on Govangirl, have had a few attempts at reading it but didn't get very far! Going to start with "the boy in the striped pyjamas" - it will be easier to fit in the hand luggage :lol:
A book a month then?? Who all would be interested??
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby hugh » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:25 pm

I would. I've found the whole thread fascinating so far. Anybody care to throw out a few titles for sounding out? I haven't read any recently published stuff myself lately, so I'd only be repeating titles everyone else read years ago. ( "Life Of Pi", I think, was the most up-to-date book I've read in the last few years.)

Anyway, I think it's a good idea and worth pursuing, may not work, but you'll never know 'til you try? Any suggestions for ttles to read/discuss?
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:22 pm

The Kite Runner, as most people have read it?
Or something new? Zadie Smith?
Or going out of one's own genre? I have never read the Rebus books but was interested in the posts about them.
Or something mentioned on the forum? How about The Road to Nab End? (Or Being a Scot? :lol: )
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:46 pm

I'd have to catch up on "Kite Runner" then, how long is it? :)
Zadie Smith? Dunno why, totally irrational, but I just don't fancy reading any of hers. Must have heard something somewhere? What's "The Road to Nab End" like?
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:00 pm

hugh wrote:I'd have to catch up on "Kite Runner" then, how long is it? :)

Mmmm, I'd say about 8 inches Hugh. Sorry :oops:
Really, not long at all. It is an easy read. The paperback is 324 pages long.

Road to Nab End is William Woodruff's account of his childhood in Lancashire from his birth in 1916. It's beautifully written, very perceptive and is with absolutely no trace of misery about his poverty. He has a real eye for character.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:09 pm

So it's about average length, then? :lol:

I'd be happy reading either of those titles. Any other suggestions?
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc