What are you reading just now?

Have your say....

Re: What are you reading just now?

Postby Pete Reek » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:01 pm

kintyre 84, having seen the film before reading the book is definitely an easier way to identify with the character.
Just finished my 2nd one a couple of hours ago, and have got the third one sitting waiting to start on. I will now read the entire series in the months ahead. I like the James Patterson books too, and will probably read them alternately, but won't ever watch the film. There is just not a snowball's chance of that happening.
Numberplease, I see him as being like the big goalkeeper in a general sort of way.
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby numberplease » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Pete, when you`ve finished all those books, how about giving the Jo Nesbo Harry Hole stories a go? Unless you`ve already read them, of course.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:36 pm

I understand that there was a short list of two for the Jack Reacher part.Cruise just managed to get it over Jimmy Crankie! Cruise is just so wrong for the part that i cannot bring myself to watch it.The idea is laughable,Jack Reacher at 6'5" played by Tom Cruise in Cuban heels???? :@ :@
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Ags recommended a book to me: After the Fall by Charity Norman. I read it this week and was bowled over - it was a fantastic read!!! Full of tension with a clever twist and sheer, sheer heartbreaking at the end!!! All mothers with teenagers will greet at it!! Seriously couldn't put it down, brilliant!
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:54 pm

Will look for that GG.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Shona » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm reading a book called The Ghost Map about the Broad Street cholera outbreak in London.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby numberplease » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:31 pm

The other day, I resurrected a book from my bookcase upstairs that I haven`t touched since I read it about 25 years ago. It`s Alaska, by James A Michener, the story of Alaska and it`s peoples starting about a billion years ago, in the days of the woolly mammoth. It`s not all easy reading, and there are 914 pages to it (it`s heavy as well!), but I remember it as being a damn good read, and shame on me for leaving it so long to read it again. Enjoying it so far, (page 118).
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:29 am

I had Paperboy By Tony Macaulay given to me recently. What a great book, one of the best I've read in a while.

"It's Belfast, 1975, and a 12-year-old boy wearing Brut aftershave has just been appointed paperboy to the Upper Shankill by Oul' Mac.

The smell of Tayto cheese and onion crisps is on his breath, and the aroma of fresh fish suppers and burning double-decker busses is in the air. It is the era of platform shoes and parallel trousers, and Paperboy is taking guitar lessons with Mr Rowing so he can play along to the Bay City Rollers.

Belfast in the seventies is like the newspapers he delivers: everything is black and white, albeit Orange and Green. There are bombings and killings on the evening news, but Paperboy is more interested in Doctor Who and Top of the Pops, bonfires and outer space, and of course, Sharon Burgess.

It is a time of hate and conflict, but Paperboy's only battles are with acne, dentistry and the wee hoods out to rob his paper money. The streets are ruled by the IRA and the UDA, but Paperboy is under the spell of a less threatening acronym: ABBA.

There are secrets at school and dangers on the streets, but Paperboy is happy, so he is. He is a good paperboy. He delivers."
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tarmmaker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:43 pm

During the "power outage" I caught up on my Xmas reading.
"Our Betty" is the autobiography of the actress Liz Smith, most famous for playing Letitia Cropley in Vicar of Dibley and Nana in the Royle Family. Very easy to read. Her style is writing in short bursts, just as if something popped into her head and was jotted down.
In 1940 she joined the WRENS and was trained to pack parachutes. Interestingly she was billeted in Machrihanish where she packed parachutes and emergency rations and the officer in charge was John Gielgud. All she could remember about the base was leaning forward against the wind and rain for eight months. No change there then!
A good read.
Whatever gets you thru the night. J Lennon.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:03 am

Tarmmaker, that made me smile as when my dad was first sent to Machrihanish he sent us a postcard saying that "the rain doesn't come down like this up here"....

"It come's down like this"....
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

For Martin: Magic

Postby Govangirl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:47 pm

Martin, You introduced the excerpt from Robert McCammon's Boy's Life some time ago which made me read the novel and keep a copy of that excerpt on my wall. Tonight I finished re-reading a book called The Night Circus and it reminded me of that excerpt:

"Magic," the man in the grey suit repeats, turning the word into a laugh. "This is not magic. This is the way the world is, only very few people take the time to stop and note it. Look around you," he says, waving a hand at the surrounding tables. "Not a one of them even has an inkling of the things that are possible in this world, and what's worse is that none of them would listen if you attempted to enlighten them. They want to believe that magic is nothing but clever deception, because to think it real would keep them up at night, afraid of their own existence."

"Someone needs to tell those tales. When the battles are fought and won and lost, when the pirates find their treasures and the dragons eat their foes for breakfast with a nice cup of Lapsang souchong, someone needs to tell their bits of overlapping narrative. There's magic in that. It's in the listener, and for each and every ear it will be different, and it will affect them in ways they can never predict. From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift. Your sister may be able to see the future, but you yourself can shape it, boy. Do not forget that... there are many kinds of magic, after all.”
― Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:23 am

I can see why it reminded you of it and I like it, thanks for that. I've not read that book, maybe I'll need to keep a sly eye open for it.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:30 pm

A wee synopsis from Amazon for my book of the year so far! I loved this.

"Glasgow. A city of colour and contrast. A place where two worlds collide - and are changed forever.
When the Scottish Refugee Council assigns Deborah Maxwell to act as Somali refugee Abdi's new mentor, the two are drawn into an awkward friendship. They must spend a year together, meeting once a month in a different part of Glasgow. As recently-widowed Deborah opens Abdi's eyes to her beloved city and its people, he teaches her about the importance of family - and of laying your ghosts to rest. All Abdi has brought with him is his four-year-old daughter, Rebecca, who lives in a silence no one can reach.
Until, one day, little Rebecca starts talking. And they realise why she stopped.
Heartbreaking, uplifting and unforgettable, This is Where I Am is a novel of loss and guilt, friendship and hope, and of what we can grow from the ashes of the past."

These are strong characters and though some of the flashbacks to Abdi's time in African refugee camps make for quite difficult reading, there are also laugh out loud moments as he tries to come to terms with the Scottish language and phraseology.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ags » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:38 pm

numberplease wrote:My first one was One Shot. Having read about a dozen of them, I`m sorry, but Tom Cruise definitely aint Jack Reacher, no way, no how! Come on Ags, stick in your two pennorth!

:lol: Sorry Numberplease, I have been missing in action for a while. It will be no surprise to all that I didn't go and see the film. I am sure it was well done but my image of Reacher is much more rugged and handsome than Cruise could ever be and I prefer to keep it that way :D !

Pete Reek, let me know if you run out of books, either Lee Child or James Patterson as there are shelves full in this house.

"Our Betty" also sounds good Tarmmaker. I just don't have enough hours in the day for reading just now.

I am now reading The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom who wrote The five people you meet in Heaven.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Ags, if you like a lot of bodies strewn through a book, try Every Dead Thing, by John Connelly. I`ve read one other of his books in the Charlie Parker series, but unknowingly I came in in the middle, this is the first one. But then, you may have read it already?
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc