What are you reading just now?

Have your say....

What are you reading just now?

Postby Ags » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:34 pm

In my mixture of jobs a lot of you know that I work in a local"gallery" a couple of days a week....In the 2 days that I am there, I am lucky enough to spend a little bit of the day reading! Last year I used to hide my book away when customers came into the shop but this year I discovered a whole new conversation opening up from a book sitting on the counter......
I am off to trawl the shelves for something new to read having just finished 'The book thief' by Markus Zusak......a slow start but a truly amazing book.....very clever, thought provoking and extremely moving......I highly recommend it!
Who is reading what just now :?:
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: What are you reading just now?

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:15 pm

Im reading your post!
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:15 am

Im reading horses post who,s reading your post, which make me twice as clever as I thought I was. (I think).
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:23 am

John Scalzi - Old Man's War.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tosh » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:10 am

Necrophenia - Robert Rankin (The Master of Far Fetched Fiction)

Just finished: Slam - Nick Hornby
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bill » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:30 am

A drink with Shane MacGowan......Victoria Mary Clarke & Shane MacGowan

just finished

Johnny Cash the life of an American Icon.....Stephen Miller
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:59 am

The Road To Nab End by William Woodruff.

http://williamwoodruff.com/work1.htm
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:08 pm

Good post Martin! Can I make a plea that folk also make a comment on whether or not you would recommend the book you're reading or have read?
I absolutely LOVED The Book Thief, it was a wonderful read. There's another thread on here about The Kite Runner, a really powerful book that's to be recommended. I am halfway through One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich which I thought I would read again after Solzhenitsyn died. It's compelling and quite an easy read but really shows the horror of the camps in Siberia.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:29 pm

I am currently revisiting "Kintyre Country Life" by Angus Martin. It gives a very interesting insight into the history of the area.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chattichatton » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:46 pm

Martin Beyond Nabb End is a wonderfull story and as gripping as The Road To Nabb End i would recommend them to anyone who likes biographies about Britain in the early part of the 20th century.

I have just finished This Charming Man by Marian Keys. Like all her books it was entertaining on the surface but underneath it tackles modern day problems such as drugs, domestic violence and death. I have never found another author who can make me laugh and cry in the same chapter. Some dismiss her as a chick lit writer but this does not do her justice at all.
chattichatton
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby numberplease » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:11 pm

I`ve just finished an Andy McNab book, my first ever, it was passed on to me, called Deep Black. I don`t usually go in for books like this, but I really enjoyed it and can recommend it, although it is a few years now since it was first published. I`ve now started a bit of lighter reading, a Sue Grafton omnibus, M is for Malice and N is for Noose. I`m gradually working my way through the alphabet with her books, I quite like her main character, Kinsey Millhone.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:05 pm

Govangirl wrote:Good post Martin!

:oops: Oops, sorry, I meant Good Post Ags! I read the last post when I was writing it and put that one. And I should have put Good Thread anyway! Too much of the whiff of Pledge and Flash today. Sorry,Ags! :oops:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:57 pm

Ags wrote: having just finished 'The book thief' by Markus Zusak......a slow start but a truly amazing book.....very clever, thought provoking and extremely moving......I highly recommend it!

Ags - very interesting choice! My 12 year old daughter is a voracious reader - devours books at an unbelievable rate, and has well developed literary tastes (thank goodness!). Anyway, The Book Thief is her all-time-favourite book. She has re-read it many times, and has often recommended it to me... and I have been resisting! Your words, and reviews on the amazon site that I have now scanned, have now persuaded me to give it a go now. It is one of these cross-over children-to-adult books – and I like that idea.

My most recent reading has been the Alexander McCall Smith books, in the ‘Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency’ series. I loved the keen sense of place, slow pace, and evident humanity in them. I started reading the books long before they became as commercially successful as they now are, and was drawn to the alternative view of African countries they portray - one that I have witnessed - and one that gets too little exposure. Too often we are presented only with the 'starving Africans' image in the media, lumping the whole continent together, and presenting it as one massive impoverished basket-case. And implying that what happens in one country probably happens in every other. While there are undoubted problems, and Zimbabwe is obviously in desperate straits, it is great to find literature that holds up a mirror to the some of the nuances and characteristics of one small corner of that vast continent.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dr-sanchez » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:42 pm

return of the king - lord of the rings is whoorawilendeadly.
You again, you b*****d!
dr-sanchez
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ags » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:55 pm

Excellent....this could be a good wee thread! Thanks for the comment Govangirl....I know you have book group too so thought this might be an interesting one....! and good idea about likes and dislikes! I love to people watch and see what they are reading! I had also said I would let you know what I thought of The Book Thief.....and OMG!! It was a slow starter but I was just in bits when I finished it on Friday, infact I can't bring myself to pick up anything else yet! A couple of the girls hadn't finished the book but hopefully we have persuaded them to persevere! Mary G you have to read it! I was quite surprised to realise after I started reading that it was a childrens book! Your daughter has fab taste! My wee one will be 10 this week and I just can't see her reading something like that at 12...who knows though :D I havent read any Marian Keyes recently though I quite enjoyed her early stuff many moons ago! Great description Dr Sanchez and as for Horse and Ninja :lol: Just what I would expect :lol:
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc