What are you reading just now?

Have your say....

Re: What are you reading just now?

Postby hugh » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:49 pm

Okay, just finished Don Quixote (No. 17 in the books I've always meant to read series), so I'll be getting "Kite" at the weekend. 'Course there might be some input by then that changes the choice?
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby History » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:57 pm

I haven't read Don Quixote for years and years. I have always meant to re-read it. How did you like it?

I have just finished re-reading "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby numberplease » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:44 am

A few (well, many) years ago, when I was 14 and at school, I borrowed War and Peace from the school library. I did try, honestly, but it was a bit too much for a 14 year old, and I gave up after just a few chapters. But it`s preyed on my mind ever since as the only book that I never finished, so a few months ago I sent off for a copy from Amazon, and although it took me nearly 8 weeks, I finished it! :D It was still fairly hard going in places, but I`m glad I finally went back for another try.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:08 pm

History.

Absolutely loved it, should have read it years ago. Quixote's a brilliant character, invoking sympathy and ridicule in equal measure. The conversations between him and Sancho Panza were genuinely engrossing and the lateral glimpses of historical customs, attitudes and ways of life were fascinating.

I'm doing Dostoyevsky's "The Idiot" next, unless there's a sudden rush to settle on a book to discuss on this book thread thingy. Never fancied "War And Peace", not because it's too long, just never fancied it.
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby History » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:17 pm

Can't say I ever fancied it either. I always looked on it as one of those books like The Hobbit that you felt like a leper if you said you had never read it. Kinda staus thing.

Good on you numberplease for persevering with it but I definitely won't read it. Too much like a rod for my back.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby rainbowsprite » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:19 am

Just wondering whats happening with the book club?

I see Kite Runner is one of the suggested books, and funnily enough I am just about to start it today.
rainbowsprite
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:07 am

rainbowsprite wrote:Just wondering whats happening with the book club?

Shame, but there hasn't been the interest I thought there would be. Why don't we just settle on The Kite Runner seeing it has been mentioned so many times? How long would everyone need to read it if they haven't done so yet? We could set a date when we can begin adding our views and comments. Then, on that date, decide on a new book to read?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:06 pm

Greetings from sunny Spain!! Just having a wee cava before dinner and thought i´d say hi since Scotland V Norway seems to have left Mr Ags unable to keep his eyes open for some reason :shock: ...I thought there may have been more takers for a bookclub here too!! Where are you Kintyre84 and my fellow bookclubbers who read the forum but don´t post??? Í am more than happy to read Kiterunner again to discuss on here! Will leave it in your capable hands Govangirl and check in when home again next weekend......unless there happens to be midweek football and I have time to kill :lol:
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Thanks for that Ags - you must be one of the few people on the forum who are still talking to me. So everyone, are we going to do The Kite Runner? If so, shall we give it until the end of October and then we can start posting?

In the meantime, I have just finished the autobiography of Sir Jackie Stewart: Winning is Not Enough and I enjoyed every minute of it. I love this man, he is my one true hero. It doesn't matter if you are not a F1 fan, this is about life (a Scottish life), family and integrity. I cried lots of times reading this - unlike Mr Connery's book, it is not ghost-written and it's like you can 'hear' Sir Jackie's voice (accent and all) as you read. I found it truly inspirational and well worth a second read. Loved it!! :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby rainbowsprite » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:03 pm

Govangirl that sounds like a plan! :D

Finished The Kite Runner this morning! I just had to keep picking it up, it was brilliant! I am a slow reader so that was a record breaking time for me - started Saturday lunchtime and twenty four hours later it was finished!

Govangirl, from what I know about you, I think you would be the ideal person to organise the bookclub. If that's ok with you?

Should we perhaps start a separate bookclub thread? So that people who don't want to take part in the bookclub still feel they can tell us about what they are reading on here.

What does everyone think about choosing the next book say three/four weeks before we start discussing it, or even before we start discussing The Kite Runner :?:
As I said I am not fastest reader in the world, so it can take me a while to finish a book :oops:
It is not always easy to get copies of books in town, so that would give us time to get them. Would it also be worth waiting until the books we choose are in paper back, so that we are not paying over the odds for the hard back version?

Just a few suggestions, let me know what you all think.

I am just desperate to start discussing The Kite Runner :)
rainbowsprite
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby hugh » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:46 pm

I just bought "Kite" uptown this morning. Out tonight, but I should have it read by midweek.
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby History » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:57 pm

rainbowsprite wrote:Should we perhaps start a separate bookclub thread? So that people who don't want to take part in the bookclub still feel they can tell us about what they are reading on here.

A discussion thread would have to be seperate from this one and it should have some sort of spoiler warning regarding the content.

I have started a discussion thread for anyone who wants to join in. Hope that is okay with everyone? and as rainbowsprite suggested one member could organise it.

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:15 pm

History wrote:
rainbowsprite wrote:Should we perhaps start a separate bookclub thread? So that people who don't want to take part in the bookclub still feel they can tell us about what they are reading on here.

I have started a discussion thread for anyone who wants to join in. Hope that is okay with everyone? and as rainbowsprite suggested one member could organise it.

History

rainbowsprite, that's a great idea. History, thanks for starting a new thread. Personally, I don't think anyone needs to organise it as there are quite a lot of people on here who could move it along a bit if it lags. Having the two threads is going to be really good. :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby rainbowsprite » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:21 pm

History, many thanks for getting the book club thread started :D

I have never been involved in a book club before, so I am not sure how much of a contribution I will be able to make to the discussions :oops:
rainbowsprite
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby History » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:29 pm

I think we need to keep Ags's thread clear of the discussion one because it's good to see what others are reading without them having to join in the discussion thread if they don't fancy the book that is chosen.

Rainbowsprite it won't matter how much or how little you contribute it's good to hear how others interpretate the book chosen by the group.

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc