What are you reading just now?

Have your say....

Re: What are you reading just now?

Postby bill » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 am

numberplease wrote:I`m a great James Patterson fan as well. Didn`t mention it before because everyone seemed to be reading deep and meaningful stuff!

No not everyone .

I have read every book that Patterson has written,also all by John Connolly,John Grisham,Wilbur Smith,Michael Connelly,Michael North Patterson and Lee Child to name a few.None of these are meaningful,just good stories.

I also like an autobiography if I am interested in that person.

The last three books I have read are by Nelson DeMille.Some of his books centre round John Corey NYPD homicide detective,so if you like American detectives and you haven't heard of DeMille, I can certainly recommend him.

Each time I finish a book I am more than happy if I can say "I enjoyed that",and pass it on to someone.I don't read a book to dissect it and look for hidden meanings

Joseph O'Connor's "The Star of the Sea" is the only book I have read on recommendation from Richard and Judy's book club.Never again, it was a load of tripe,why I perceviered God knows.Since then I stick with what I want to read,not what someone else would like me to read.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:12 am

I bought "star of the sea" Bill but havent read it yet......life is too short to read bad books!!!!
Alex Cross is one of my heroes but Jack Reacher is a star!! I would share a black coffee with him anywhere....... I love Lee Child although I sometimes have to flick a few pages if it gets violent!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:45 am

As well as James Patterson, I`m also a great fan of Jeffrey Deaver, particularly the Lincoln Rhyme stories, also love Kathy Reichs. I used to love Patricia Cornwell, but she`s gone off the boil a bit in the last couple of years. At the moment I`m reading a book by Faye Kellerman, The Burnt House, but can`t give an opinion yet as I` m not far enough into it yet. I also like her husband, Jonathon Kellerman, but have just read a book by their son, Jesse, Sunstroke, but it didn`t do anything for me at all. Many years ago, in my younger days, I read quite a lot of books by Dell Shannon, the Lt. Mendoza stories, and wouldn`t mind reading them again, but haven`t seen them around since then.
Delving back to my childhood, one of my favourite books was Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott, which I followed with Good Wives and Little Men, but Little Women I read over and over and over...............
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:57 pm

numberplease wrote: I used to love Patricia Cornwell, but she`s gone off the boil a bit in the last couple of years.

I totally agree - what has happened to that woman? WC1 spoke about Andrea Camilleri and the Italian food - haven't got round to that yet - but I used to drool over Kay Scarpettas food and wine!! I think I recall Patricia Cornwell actually doing a Kay Scarpetta recipe book a few years back!! Always meant to try her chilli as she put beer in it which sounded interesting but that's a whole other thread :D
I hope I'm not repeating myself but Harlan Coben is another great thriller writer!!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:13 pm

I have never read James Patterson but this thread is about introducing new authors to people so what book of his should I begin with? Or does it not matter which one?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:34 pm

This could take a while Govangirl.....pour a g&t :lol: James Patterson writes some "stand alone" books, a set of books called "the womens murder club" and the "Alex Cross" novels!! If you are reading alex cross or the womens murder club it's best to start at the very beginning!! Womens murder club is very easy as they go "1st to die", "2nd chance", "3rd degree".......up to number 7!! 8 is due to be published in January 09. Alex Cross - you may have seen a couple of movies with Morgan Freeman portraying Cross...."Kiss the girls" and "along came a spider" were made into films, I think that's all but correct me if I'm wrong!! I will get the order of the cross books and pm you with them! He has done a couple of "slushy" books which I find quite bizarre - they are very good though! And we also have a kids Christmas book called "santakid"!! A talented guy but he seems to co-write on a lot of his books now!! How does that work?? Easy reading and very short chapters which lead me into staying up too late at night as I think "just one more chapter" again and again!!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:38 pm

[quote="Ags"Easy reading and very short chapters which lead me into staying up too late at night as I think "just one more chapter" again and again!![/quote]

That's my ideal book! And I'm a sucker for 'slushiness' too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me a good greet any day! :D
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:03 am

Ooh yes Ags, how could I forget to mention Harlan Coben? I`ve read 4 of his in the last couple of weeks, plus a couple a while back, he is very good. Have you read the Sue Grafton books with alphabetical titles? I think I`ve read all but 2, I think she`s up to S now, but not sure.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:48 pm

Strange you should also mention Harlan Coben as I am reading his "Tell no one".Very good it is too.

John Connolly's latest "The Reapers"will keep me engrossed this Friday on the flight to Tenerife.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:56 pm

Bill, Tell No One is one of the books I`ve read in the last couple of weeks. I`d never heard of Harlan Coben till a few months ago, but my favourite shop does paperbacks at £1-99 each, 3 for a fiver, and I`d picked out 2 that I wanted, and picked one of his up to make the 3, and have read about 6 of his now. I`m enjoying The Burnt House, by Faye Kellerman, but she`s still not as good as her husband Jonathan.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:04 pm

I love Harlan Cobens stand alone books. He does a series of stories about an ex sportsman turned private detective and I just can't get into them at all, although my fellow bookworm best friend loves them!

I have never read any Sue Grafton or Kathy Reichs....a lot of people have been recommending Reichs lately.

Bill have a great time and as well as your holiday reading, when you get back we want to hear about Tenerife on the travel thread :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby History » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:32 am

Hi Ags

Since I last posted I have read Michael Connelly's "The Overlook" "Name to a Face" by Robert Goddard and Simon Kernick's "Deadline" All really good reads.

I have just started "An Ordinary Soldier" by Doug Beattie MC and is about the conflict in Afghanistan. All from Tesco's 2 for £7.00 apart from the Afghanistan one.

If you like Grisham and Patterson you should try John Katzenbach. One of his books was made into a film and was on TV recently "Harts War" starring Bruce Willis. I have read a few of them and liked them all. Especially "Shadow Man"

History
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ags » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:42 am

Right - James Pattersons Alex Cross novels in order for Govangirl and anyone else who wants to know...Cat and Mouse, Pop Goes the Weasel, Roses are Red, Violets are blue, Four blind mice, The big bad wolf, London Bridges, Mary Mary, Cross, Double Cross and Cross Country!!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:46 am

Ags, you`ve missed out the third Alex Cross story, Jack and Jill, which was the very first James Patterson book that I ever read, and which got me hooked on Alex Cross and his family.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:07 am

Don't forget.........Kiss the Girls, Along Came a Spider.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc