What are you reading just now?

Have your say....

Re: What are you reading just now?

Postby Pete Reek » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:58 pm

Ags, I have given up on Mr. Reacher for a wee while, as I find them all following the same format. He walks, he gets lifts into trouble, he gets hooked up with single women, he knocks lumps off every guy he meets even if they are 9ft 11ins, he solves everything as though he was Paul Daniels-just like that, hauls off and on more clothes than a string of super models at Milan Week, then waddles off looking for another lift.
I got part way through Echo Burning before I threw a hissy fit, and that was the week of the power cut. No wonder I resorted to cold showers.
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby Ags » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:09 am

And don't forget the black coffee's Pete Reek :D !! I can see what you mean as Kintyre84 said the same thing the other day. I guess when you are reading one book a year, you forget about all the similarities. I still love Reacher though :oops:
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:49 am

NPlease glad to hear you have found John Connolly,you did say he was in Boston last year at W.H.Smith doing a book signing.

I have mentioned previously that he is my favourite author,and all his books in the Charlie Parker series are sat on the shelf behind me.If I was forced to recommend just one,it would probably be "The White Road".

Though John Connolly is my favourite author,running a very close second is James Lee Burke.Having only come across him last June,I have now read all of his 32 ? books. The Dave Robicheaux series, about a deputy sheriff in New Iberia, Louisiana,runs to 19 books,the latest"Creole Belle", only released November last year.Every one a gem.As are the four about Bill Bob Holland,former Texas Ranger,now small town attorney in Montana.Then there is the three about Hackberry Holland,small town Texas border sheriff.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:13 am

Ags.
I think you have just pointed out the main reason for me getting a bit fed up with Oor Big Jack!
I was reading one after the other because Debs passed me a great pile of books. Mr. P's Alex Cross ones were getting a bit the same, but I just started on the ones about the Murder Club ladies.

Will chill on Jack baby for a spell and try John C or some others I have here. Probably wasn't drinking enough black coffee either, and glad to have managed to increase the water temp in the shower :D

Have a cool day missy.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby numberplease » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:44 pm

Bill, this was the second of John Connelly`s books that I`ve read, unfortunately I came in in the middle of the series, and let lucky with this one being the first. I`ll try and get the others now in the right order. I`ve just finished Buried, by Mark Billingham, a DI Tom Thorne tale, very enjoyable as usual. Have just started The Shadows in the Street, by Susan Hill, a Simon Serailler story. I like these by Susan Hill, wasn`t particularly enamoured of The Woman in Black, couldn`t see what all the fuss was about.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Pete Reek, I have all the murder club ladies too so if you run out just shout! I still don't know how you managed that shower haha :shock:
Numberplease, thanks for the tip on John Connolly, I haven't read any of his but will look out for him.
For all you kindle people, I have just downloaded a book that was on my recommendations list today. It is called The Magpies by Mark Edwards, and is a debut psychological thriller. It has really good reviews so at 99p compared to the book price of £8.99 I thought it was worth giving it a go.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Ags, Every Dead Thing is the first of John Connelly`s Charlie Parker series, hope you enjoy them.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:34 pm

NPlease, as you know all book series must also be able to be read as a stand alone story.This is also true of the Charlie Parker series,though there is a continuing thread throughout,and it is better to read them in order.My next door neighbour and I exchange books,as we both tend to like the same authors.When it comes to John Connolly though he is not interested.This is because he does not like the supernatural element to the stories.

He has written one stand alone book,"Bad Men",and also three books for younger readers.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby MPR » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:28 am

tony hillerman a good read, older books, but if you havnt read them, very good
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Pete Reek » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:40 am

Bill.
I have that book sitting here beside me. I was going to pass it to Ags to read, but as I likely have more time on my hands than she does, I'll read it first.
As I tend to read in bursts, I am probably doing myself no favours, as proved by reading one after the other in the Jack Reacher series.
I have a Kindle and found some Louis L'Amour books on Amazon, so downloaded 4 of them.He was a favourite of mine a great many years ago, so I read 3 then stopped. I now realise that I should be a bit more diverse in my choice of material.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Fri May 31, 2013 8:38 pm

Skagboys.Just started to read it.Riveting!
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Who`s it by, Roger?
Bill, I`ve just read another by John Connelly, The Whisperers. I didn`t stick to my resolve to read `em in order, but never mind. This one, as usual, was very good.
I`m currently reading a Jack Higgins book, A Devil is Waiting. I used to love his books, but haven`t read any for quite a while, and find that this one is not really grabbing me. Maybe I`ve outgrown him?
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:47 pm

Irvine Welsh.Trainspotting author.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks Roger, but if it`s about trains, don`t think I`ll bother. I need at least 3 murders to keep me interested! :lol:
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Not trains.Drug addiction.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc