What are you reading just now?

Have your say....

Re: What are you reading just now?

Postby bill » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:21 pm

Lee Child's latest in the Jack Reacher series,"A wanted man" is much the same as "61 hours..........very poor.As in "61 hours" a lot of the time is spent in a car going from place to place and back again.

The story starts of like a slow burner,problem is it never ignites.

Here is the traier for the Jack Reacher film due out December.

I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Hey, Bill, was beginning to think you`d defected from the reading thread! Sorry, but can`t even begin to think about seeing that film, Tom Cruise is only half Reacher`s size! I`ll probably still read the latest book, after all, I actually enjoyed 61 Hours.
I`ve just finished Love You More, by Lisa Gardner, very good, am now reading The Devil`s Edge, by Stephen Booth, liking it so far, he does make the Derbyshire Peak District scenery seem creepy and sinister, and it`s not really.
I recently read a book that was given to me, Suite Francaise, by Irena something or other, finished it, but never really got into it, not really my kind of book, can`t recommend it.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi NumberP,not been in front of the computer much the last few months.I have still found time for reading,and have been reading a lot of James Lee Burke books.I only came across him by chance,and would highly recommend him to you.

After the disappointment of Lee Child's "Wanted Man" I am now enjoying the latest in the Charlie Parker series from my favourite author John Connolly.Both books came out last Thursday,and I wanted to keep the best to last.
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:19 pm

John Connelly is at our branch of W.H.Smith next week, signing his latest book, but I can`t go, we`ll be away on holiday! I`ve almost finished The Devil`s Edge, loved it. I`ve recently discovered books by Jim Kelly, I quite like them, but will also look out for James Lee Burke.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:02 am

Still catching up with earlier titles from James Lee Burke.Have another 4 on order.

Just finished Scottish author Craig Robertson's debut novel from 2010,"Random" .Will certainly be on the lookout for more from him.
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:13 pm

I enjoyed Random as well. At the moment I`m reading Death Mask, by Kathryn Fox, an Australian writer, I`ve read a couple of her other books and liked them. Just finished a lovely little book, A Streetcat Named Bob, by James Bowen. The story of how a lost injured cat and a street busker meet and change each others lives.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:47 pm

I limped into town today and found a book in a charity shop, “It’s A Long Way From Penny Apples” by a guy called Bill Cullen. The write up reads…. From selling apples on the streets of Dublin in the 1950s to owning a company with a turnover of £250 million. Bill Cullen tells his story, and the story of the indomitable woman who made him the man he is today.

I’ve never heard of Bill Cullen, let’s hope the book’s worth the £1.49.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:19 pm

Just finished The Betrayal of Trust, by one of my favourite authors, Susan Hill. It`s one of the Simon Serailler stories, which I prefer to her ghost stories. Now reading Torn, by Casey Hill, shaping up OK so far. I read another of hers a while back, Taboo, it had the same main characters, and was really quite good.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:45 pm

Do you local's remember Denzil Meyrick? Always a great storyteller :wink: . He has written a book called Whisy from small glasses which was published on 1st November.
I downloaded a free sample and have since gone on to download the book after reading the 4 sample chapters which I enjoyed.
There's been a murder in a small town on the West Coast of Scotland called Kinloch. Locals among you will be able to pick out the bars, airport and old police station which appear in these first few chapters. I am open minded, but it has been quite entertaining so far!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whisky-Small-Gl ... 679&sr=8-1
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Think I`ll look out for that one Ags, it sounds li8ke just my cup of tea! At the moment I`m reading a book that I received as a freebie from Gransnet, called The Girl You Left Behind, by Jojo Moyes. Not my usual sort of reading matter, but I`m becoming quite enthralled. It starts in France in 1916, then moves on to London in 2006, centred around a portrait that a man paints of his wife, just before WW1.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:31 pm

I also like the sound of that one Numberplease. Me before you by the same author was fab, have you read it? :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:11 am

No, Ags, I haven`t read Me Before You, to be honest, I`d never heard of Jojo Moyes till I got this book, but I think I`ll be getting that one very soon.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:41 pm

John Grisham's latest "The Racketeers" was a slow burner that failed to ignite.It did keep me interested to the end though ,but at the same slow pace throughout.
Since finding my first James Lee Burke at the beginning of June,I am now on my twentieth.His Dave Robicheaux series of stories are superb.
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Am just coming to the end of Nameless, by Jessie Keane. I`ve read a couple of her books before, they all seem based on London`s gangland, but this has been quite good, divided between wartime London from 1941 onwards, then into the 60s through to the 70s, with a short flashback to 1923.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:14 am

Below is an extract from an interview with Lee Child

"I wasn't surprised [by Cruise's casting] because this was on the cards for a very long time... we've been dealing with his people for six years."

Obviously, Tom Cruise doesn't match the physical description of Reacher in the books... but the movie is not going to match the book anyway. More than that though, which actor does match Reacher physically? What people forget is that Tom Cruise is quite possibly the best actor of his generation.

If you look at what McQuarrie [One Shot's screenwriter, whose previous work includes The Usual Suspects and Valkyrie] and Cruise have done before, I think this Reacher will be more clinical – the scapel rather than the sledgehammer.

I think fans of the books will go to the movie and be a little weirded out for the first five minutes, but then the question is, what will happen after the first five minutes? If it's as done as well as I hope it will be, I don't think it will be a problem."
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc