The Boss!

Have your say....

Re: The Boss!

Postby jock the boat » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Hoot album wud ye buy? Naw a best of mind u, ahve got ane o them.
no 1 will want to play with me once the bloody swimming pool opens. toot toot. except Gen Jack
jock the boat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bill » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Only one I ever bought Jock was "Nebraska",and that was only to hear the original versions of "Highway Patrolman" and "Johnny 99".

It was only a few months ago that I realised that the guy playing "Silvio Dante in the Sopranos" was actually Steven Van Dante. :shock:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:39 pm

It has GOT to be Born To Run - absolutely flawless, Jock. It has the best song he has ever written - Thunder Road - and Eric Meola's iconic cover photograph. He made it at a time when he was a struggling artist that was almost dropped by his label but boy, what an album! It's an album fueled by hope, possibility, the lure of the open road and the search for a better life. When it was released in 1975, Springsteen had the first honour of appearing on both front covers of Time and Newsweek magazines. He deserved that honour then and he deserves you going out now to buy it!!!!! :lol: Just play it mighty loud!!!!!

And yes Bill, Steve Van Zandt is indeed Silvio but nothing like the character he is on stage!
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:07 am

bill wrote:Only one I ever bought Jock was "Nebraska",and that was only to hear the original versions of "Highway Patrolman" and "Johnny 99".

Bill can I ask who you heard covering these two tracks, I like to find alot of Springsteen covers, some of them are excellent, and some are tragic. At the risk of offending Govangirl, Frankie Goes to Hollywood's version of Born to Run is fantastic, not as good as the original, but fantastic none the less :shock:

PS Bill - good to see you back - you been doing that overseas alcohol research thing again :wink: :lol:
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:30 pm

Darkness on the Edge of Town....just seems to have a bit more "edge" to it (not just in the title).
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:05 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:
bill wrote:Bill can I ask who you heard covering these two tracks, I like to find alot of Springsteen covers, some of them are excellent, and some are tragic. At the risk of offending Govangirl, Frankie Goes to Hollywood's version of Born to Run is fantastic, not as good as the original, but fantastic none the less :shock:

You can't offend me now Sheik, I've developed a rhino skin since joining this forum!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I found it on Youtube and it's not bad. I didn't want to like it but I did!

As for covers, I quite like the way The Cowboy Junkies do his stuff, I HATED Badly Drawn Boy's Thunder Road, REALLY DETESTED that sister band group doing Fire, I really liked Everything But the Girl's version of My Hometown and once in America I heard a cover of Janie, Don't you lose heart which was great and someone told me it was by somebody-Millar. Oh I also quite liked Pearl Jam's Atlantic City and my son likes Arcade Fire and says they sing State Trooper but I haven't heard it. Oh and of course, liked Patti Smith's version but once I was at a Waterboys concert when they were supporting Simple Minds and THEY sang Because the Night. I once heard Elvis Costello do a good version of Brilliant Disguise. I thought I would love Johny Cash's Further On Up the Road as the latest albums were brill but it didn't do it for me (although he did a good I'm on Fire). My husband says he heard on the radio David Bowie do Growin' Up but I don't know if that's true......

And I don't know if this is true but a friend of mine swears that Sidney Devine sang The River. If it is, could somebody put some weights round his neck and chuck him in one? :roll:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:23 pm

Govangirl - might be worth getting a hold of Townes Van Zandt's cover of Racing in the Street, and a really interesting verions of Johnny 99 by Los Lobos.

On the female side I've heard Tori Amos cover of I'm on Fire, which (in true Tori Amos style) is little bit more haunting.

Also Faith Hill does a great cover of If I Should Fall Behind.

I must try and look out those you mentioned and let you know what I think. I believe there is a Springsteen tribute album which is entirely covers, maybe I'll just download that.
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:54 am

Govangirl wrote:Oh I also quite liked Pearl Jam's Atlantic City

Obviously

I just 'bought' Nebraska and Devils & Dust.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:39 am

Blimey I go away for a long weekend with the best buddies and miss all this Springsteen chat!! Thanks for your comment Govangirl - I will make sure my girlie sees it! Sheik - I have never heard Faith Hill do "If I should fall behind" - that is one of my all time favourite Springsteen songs ......just an old romantic at heart me :lol: .
Albums? Of the oldies my favourites are Lucky Town and Darkness on the edge of town. The three latest albums I just love!! We shall overcome - The Seeger Sessions, and The Rising and Magic with the E street Band are just fantastic :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:17 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:
Govangirl wrote:Oh I also quite liked Pearl Jam's Atlantic City

Obviously

Sorry, don't get it :roll:

Ags wrote: Sheik - I have never heard Faith Hill do "If I should fall behind" - that is one of my all time favourite Springsteen songs ......just an old romantic at heart me :lol:

One of my favourite tracks on DVD is when the whole of the E Street Band sing this individually. I think it's on The Complete Video Anthology 1978-2000. It's so powerful and moving.

I wasn't that keen on Devils and Dust when it came out but I've just been listening to it this past week on my i-pod and really discovering it again. I reckon it will be one of his most underrated albums in the future. On the VH1 Storytellers DVD he explains as to what's behind Jesus Was an Only Son... very enlightening. This man is a genius! :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:37 am

This was on the Springsteen website news sent to me today:

COLUMBIA RECORDS TO RELEASE BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND'S 'MAGIC TOUR HIGHLIGHTS' JULY 15 VIA ALL DIGITAL DOWNLOAD STORES INCLUDING THE ITUNES STORE

Columbia Records will release Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's 'Magic Tour Highlights' on July 15 via all digital download stores, including the iTunes Store. The release will consist of four audio tracks with four accompanying videos, all recorded live in concert during the 'Magic' tour.

'Magic Tour Highlights' Track Listing

1. "Always A Friend" (performed with Alejandro Escovedo)
Recording Date: 04/14/2008 (Houston, Texas)

2. "The Ghost of Tom Joad" (performed with Tom Morello)
Recording Date: 04/07/2008 (Anaheim, California)

3. "Turn Turn Turn" (performed with Roger McGuinn)
Recording Date: 04/23/2008 (Orlando, Florida)

4. "4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" (Danny Federici's final performance with the E Street Band)
Recording Date: 03/20/2008 (Indianapolis,Indiana)

Bob Clearmountain mixed and Bob Ludwig mastered the songs. Frequent Springsteen collaborator and GRAMMY and Emmy Award-winner Thom Zimny edited the videos.

On sales of these downloads, the artists, songwriters, and music publishers are waiving all of their royalties, and Columbia Records is donating all of its net profits, to the Danny Federici Melanoma Fund. The iTunes Store is donating their first year's net profits as well.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:44 am

It was obvious because Eddie Vedder is the greatest human being that ever lived, apart from Nikola Tesla. I was going to ask him to be best man when I get married but Eddie is probably too busy so I think Ill just ask Stone instead.

Is the Ghost of Tom Joad basically the Rage version with Springsteen singing? That would be interesting, as the versions are somewhat different.
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:56 pm

Your right Horse the Rage version is somewhat different. I think Tom Joad has the potential to be a fantastic track, I just don't think that Springsteen takes it to the crescendo that he could. Tom Joad was a really quite political album and I think Morello and him have the same 'leanings'.

I must admit seeing Springsteen on the Tom Joad tour (at the Playhouse) was heavy going. It was essentially Nebraska Pt II and, for the first time ever, I kinda got the feeling that he was there more for his own benefit than anything else. It seemed to be a cathartic experience he had to go through, and essentially you were there to listen to him expose the darkness in his mind. I love his acoustic stuff, 2:30 hours of just him, the guitar and harmonica showed you how incredibly talented he is, but it was heavy going. Tom Joad was probably the best song he did that night.

Lyrics that Ionns would be proud of:

Now Tom said "Mom, wherever there's a cop beatin' a guy
Wherever a hungry newborn baby cries
Where there's a fight 'gainst the blood and hatred in the air
Look for me Mom I'll be there
Wherever there's somebody fightin' for a place to stand
Or decent job or a helpin' hand
Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free
Look in their eyes Mom you'll see me."
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:15 am

It took me a while to get into Tom Joad. I initially liked the idea that it was inspired by Steinbeck's Grapes of wrath and certainly, the way it explores the real underbelly of American life reminded me of Early Bob Dylan albums.

There are moments of true beauty and poetry on the album but for me it was the lines "The highway is alive tonight, but nobody's kiddin' nobody about where it goes..." This isn't Springsteen and so indicative of the place he was in at the time. All his songs speak of the highway going somewhere - a symbol for hope and redemption - and here he's saying the road is empty and bleak. I wish I had been there in this period, like you Sheik, to hear this acoustic set live. Heavy-going maybe but must have been real poignant.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:50 am

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:Tom Joad was a really quite political album and I think Morello and him have the same 'leanings'.

http://www.axisofjustice.org
His website with Serj Tankian from System Of A Down, named for Bush's statements about an 'axis of evil'.

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free
Look in their eyes Mom you'll see me."[/i]

Comparing the two versions, if I looked into someone's eyes I'd be a hell of a lot more scared at seeing Zack De La Rocha than Bruce Springsteen.

If anyone really cares here are the two versions, plus the live one with both
Bruce Springsteen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DEtA5fhk4k

Rage Against The Machine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7RTDt4pDSc

Bruce/Morello:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp-oDAxx8So
(Tom Morello is the greatest guitarist ever by the way)
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc