The Boss!

Have your say....

Re: The Boss!

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 pm

Govangirl wrote:The Gaslight Anthem - wasn't that just fab? I love The '59 Sound :

good album, the other one isnt bad either. Cant mind its name off the top of my head though.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:42 pm

Never saw any of it last night, so had a look on youtube, all Glastonbury videos of the performance have been removed due to the BBC claiming copyright :(

So had a look on BBC iPlayer and it's fantastic :-)

PS. Rainbowsprite even I fancy Bruce, and I'm as heterosexual as it gets! If you don't believe me, ask my boyfriend :wink: :lol:
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:07 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:PS. Rainbowsprite even I fancy Bruce, and I'm as heterosexual as it gets! If you don't believe me, ask my boyfriend :wink: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And Rainbowsprite, if you want to see him young and fit, watch the Born to Run' video on Youtube! It's a whole lot of concerts put together - Ireland looks the best though!

I read about Glastonbury and The Boss going over the curfew time. This was in the newspaper today:

Today it emerged that festival organisers were facing a fine of £3,000 because Springsteen's long set had continued nine minutes past the festival's half past midnight curfew.
Michael Eavis, whose farm in southwest England has hosted Glastonbury most years since 1970, pledged to pay fine himself because he had enjoyed the veteran US rocker’s “spectacular” set so much.
Mr Eavis said today: “I gave him 10 minutes and he took nine. I’ll pay the fine - £3,000. Paul McCartney - 2004 headliner - paid me back. I’m going to pay the Bruce Springsteen one myself. It’s not a lot because it was fantastic. The last nine minutes were spectacular."

The critics also said that Hyde Park was better than Glastonbury because he was with his hardcore fans and was much 'warmer' too. I am 100% biased but I totally agree!

So, here goes with my review. Forgive me if it gets muddled but I had 4 hours sleep last night and I'm hoarse and exhausted - exhausted but on a real high after the BEST concert I've ever experienced! :<> This was the playlist:
London Calling
Badlands
Night
She’s The One
Outlaw Pete
Out In The Street
Working On A Dream
Seeds
Johnny 99
Youngstown
Good Lovin’
Bobby Jean
Trapped
No Surrender (with Fallon from The Gaslight Anthem)
Waiting On A Sunny Day
Promised Land
Racing In The Street
Radio Nowhere
Lonesome Day
The Rising
Born To Run
Rosalita
Hard Times
Jungleland
American Land
Glory Days
Dancing In The Dark

Over three hours without a break! The Gaslight Anthem were brilliant and Brucie joined them for a song. If you are a Springsteen fan and don't know them I urge you to seek them out. There a lot of similarities between them. The Dave Matthews Band were next - I don't know the music but I did really like them / him: lots of energy and humour and I believe in the States they are huge. I'll give them a proper listen soon.
Then Bruce came on at just after 7.15 and opened with 'London Calling'- a great nod to the crowd and of course, Joe Strummer and someone from The Clash who was at the side but I didn't catch who it was. You just never know what you are going to get at a Springsteen concert! He doesn't talk to the audience as much as he used to but with a back catalogue of more than 400 songs to choose from his music does that for him, doesn't it? And that's it, I've been trying to think what it is that is the 'magic' of it all and how he speaks to me and although of course he doesn't know me, he gets me and I get him. When Obama introduced him at one of his rallies last year he said he was only running for President because he couldn't be Bruce Springsteen. I know what he means now. I would love to be him for just one night. Listening to Springsteen is unbeatable - until you do it with 50,000 other like-minded, Boss-loving people. Then it is takes on a whole new level!
The Big Man, Clarence, could hardly walk but seemingly, he's just had a hip replacement (so rock n' roll!)
For me, the best songs of the night were 'Jungleland', 'Rosalita' and ''American Land' but it was great to hear 'Youngstown' from the Ghost of Tom Joad and see the singer from Gaslight Anthem join the band for 'No Surrender'.

I am so, so glad I had got to see Bruce in his early years. There has been a lot of talk this week about Michael Jackson's death and about making this the time that their music died. For me, that time will be when Bruce stops touring. From last night's show, he's not going to stop soon!

Lastly, at one point last night after he was down at the crowd, he was running back up the steps to the stage when he fell over. He and Miami Steve were laughing so much and then Bruce went up to the microphone: “Somebody get me an elevator!” he roared. “I’m f***ing 60!” It was a brilliant moment and made you reflect that yes, it's unbelievable!

Fabulous stuff!!!! :D
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:49 pm

Great review GG - I'm very jealous.

How was Racing In The Street? One of my favourites. Great to see No Surrender also, he doesn't perform it that often these days.

Surprised to see he didn't do either "The River" or "Thunder Road" and wasn't until my 2nd read thru that I found he did Born To Run. Did he introduce the band in Rosalita?

Going to watch the rest of the Glastonbury gig tonight.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:51 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:
Govangirl wrote:The Gaslight Anthem - wasn't that just fab? I love The '59 Sound :

good album, the other one isnt bad either. Cant mind its name off the top of my head though.

Sink or Swim, and is Bobby Jean Billie's dad?
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:42 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:[
Sink or Swim, and is Bobby Jean Billie's dad?

Horse, 1. I reckon not seeing as Dad denied she was his lover :)
2. What's Sink or Swim like compared to The '59 Sound? And have you heard any of the other albums?

Sheik, you are in for a treat as I don't think Hampden will differ that much. Horse mentioning above about Bobby Jean reminded me of how stupendous that song is and very emotional too. Is that right that it's about Van Zandt leaving the band and therefore about the loss of friendship?
Yes, I was really upset about no Thunder Road (the greatest song in the world) and The River especially if he's going to do Dancing in the Dark but yes, Racing in the Streets was BRILLIANT.
'For all the shut down strangers and hot rod angels
Rumbling through this promised land
Tonight my baby and me we're gonna ride to the sea
And wash these sins off our hands'
I reckon Darkness on the Edge of Town was a sequel to this and about what happened to this guy:
'Tonight I'll be on that hill,
Cause I can't stop,
I'll be on that hill,
with everything that I've got.
Lives on the line,
where dreams are found and lost,
I'll be there on time and I'll pay the cost,
for wanting things that can only be found,
in the darkness on the edge of town'
Anyway, I always feel very emotional when he sings
'Now some guys they just give up living
and start dying little by little, piece by piece
Some guys come home from work and wash up
And go racing in the street'
just as all his songs about redemption!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:42 pm

Sounds like it was fab GG!! I can't believe how many people I have spoken to over the weekend who couldn't believe how superb he was a Glastonbury!! I can't wait to see him live again and it's great to see from this wee thread that we have some new converts!! :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby rainbowsprite » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Well thanks to Ags it looks like I am going to see the man in the flesh!! Thank you Ags! :D :D :D

Govangirl, he was really cute in the Born to Run video! Do you still have your tickets or have you managed to sell them? My friend says that some of the girls that she works with are very keen to go. It is a pity you can not make Hampden, we could have a wee Forum get together before the show! :)

It seems half of town were at Take That the other week and AC DC tonight. Are there many people going to The Boss?

I am really looking forward to it...two weeks tonight! :D
rainbowsprite
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:14 pm

Rainbowsprite, you want cute? Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNNcIhZbH-0

(Sorry, that Youtube thing never works for me!)

Thunder Road is the greatest song ever written! This is a brilliant video and watch him lock lips with The Big Man at the end!!!!! :lol:

Regarding the tickets, I said I would put them on e-Bay if they didn't go by the end of June so I'll be putting them on tomorrow night. If you want them before then, you know where to find me! :lol: I'll drop the price to £45 per ticket, BARGAIN!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby rainbowsprite » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:09 pm

Govangirl

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I never heard any more about the tickets, I am sure you will have no problem selling them on ebay.

Thought the cd would have arrived today but it did not :(

Going to a bbq this weekend so will just need to educate the people there too! :lol:

Rainbowsprite x
rainbowsprite
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:18 pm

What CD did you order Rainbowsprite? And you get converting, Girl!!!!!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:55 pm

rainbowsprite wrote:Well thanks to Ags it looks like I am going to see the man in the flesh!! Thank you Ags! :D :D :D

You are welcome Rainbowsprite. Im just chuffed to bits that somebody who watched a live show on telly the other day actually wants to go and see the real deal. As I said, you won't regret it :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby rainbowsprite » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:50 pm

CD arrived! :D

Govangirl its his greatest hits, looking at your list of what he played might need to get another one too.

Anyone recommend an album which will help prepare me for Hampden? :?: :D :D :D
rainbowsprite
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:12 pm

You can't go wrong with Born to Run . . . but then there's the blistering tracks on Darkness on the Edge of Town . . . wait, there's also The River . . .

They're all fab Rainbowsprite. You're best to listen to your hits CD and decide what kind of Bruce you like. If I was a new fan like you, I'd start with Born to Run and go in sequence but then again, go and experience him live and you'll make up your own mind about what you want to want to hear next. :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:38 pm

I've just had a site visit to Grangemouth confirmed and I also have managed to get a ticket for Tuesday night.
I'm really looking forweard to seeing The Boss again,last time was in Newcastle 1985.

Thanks for the great review and set list from London Calling Govangirl.Watching Glastonbury and your set list persuaded me to go along if the Quote was accepted.

Born To Run will always be a huge album for fans , I can recommend the 30th Anniversary Edition.
There is a DVD of the concert played in London to launch the album.That gives a great ''Then and now' comparision to what we will all see on the 14th.

Not long to go now.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc