The Boss!

Have your say....

Re: The Boss!

Postby Govangirl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/steve-van-zandt-bruce-springsteen-is-a-living-example-of-what-happens-when-you-never-do-drugs-20120724

THAT'S how you get to be a rock God at 62!!!! Great lesson in there and it really IS just common sense.
AND a new album in 2013!!!! :D
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:45 pm

So it's alright if it's an olympic disturbance but not if it's Springsteen and McCartney?? :twisted:

Snow Patrol get late London curfew for Olympics gig

Snow Patrol have been granted permission to play until 1am at London's Hyde Park on Friday for a concert coinciding with the 2012 Olympic Games opening ceremony.

The BT London Live gig will feature acts from all the countries of the UK, including Duran Duran representing England, Scottish singer Paolo Nutini, and Welsh band Stereophonics.

Northern Irish rockers Snow Patrol are set to take to the stage at 11.10pm and have been told they can perform into the early hours of Saturday due to "exceptional" circumstances.

Audrey Lewis, licensing chairman of Westminster City Council, says, "The opening night of the Olympics is clearly an exceptional evening and the Hyde Park show on Friday is timed to run around the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

"It is not a case of a straightforward concert night at Hyde Park. We took that into consideration when granting the application. It is clearly different from commercial shows that run throughout other parts of the year."

The news comes just two weeks after Bruce Springsteen had his concert in Hyde Park controversially cut short when he overran the 10.30pm cut-off time.

Blur's gig coinciding with the Olympics closing ceremony on 12 August has also been given a 1am curfew.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Och don't worry Ags, it's all part of dumbed-down Britain - Duran Duran :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Blur is playing Margate this summer which shows how desperate they've become.

On the nights these lightweights get their extended curfew, we can open a bottle of something chilled and watch a live Boss DVD!! :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Just read that Bruce is gay. :shock:
Last edited by bill on Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Mr Govangirl came across this in America at the beginning of the week. It is brilliant! :D

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012 ... ct_remnick
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:46 am

There is a Highlights show from Hyde Park, including 5 tunes from The Boss on Sky Arts at 9pm tonight! The show also includes tunes from Paul Simon, John Foggerty, Tom Morello, Lady Antebellum and Christina Perry.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ags » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:00 am

AUGUST 15 / FENWAY PARK / BOSTON, MA
A grand slam home run. Night one at Fenway was just batting practice compared to this stratospheric performance, and while such comparisons aren't always worth making, the difference here from one night
to the next was stark enough to demand it. Part of the shift was the audience — weirdly distracted, chatty, and "loose" on the 14th, but invested on the 15th, that respectful but dedicated Boston crowd we've come to expect over the years. After night one's cautious warm-up, Bruce clearly put a lot of thought into how he wanted night two to feel: for this show we were old friends with a long history together, having a summer celebration under open skies, complete with fireflies. To make it happen, Springsteen was a man on a mission: a mission to surprise, to connect, to bring the European leg energy back home, to galvanize the crowd and create the kind of summertime house party worthy of this storied venue.

You could feel it from the very start, as Bruce framed the scene for us: "We had a lot of fun last night... This place is like a picnic or something." Rather than following the band out, he had come out by himself to greet us, pantomiming a pitcher's windup to the strains of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and laughing with the crowd right off. The Professor was soon at the ready, too, and the pair started the show together: "Roy and I are gonna do something we used to do back in the '70s," he said, launching into the '75 piano arrangement of "Thunder Road." It was, as Bruce has called the song, an invitation. It was also a statement of intent for the show, indicating that we'd be digging deep, the wind blowing back our hair, calling up ghosts. And it immediately built up some goodwill capital, so that when they broke out the sing-along "Hungry Heart" in the second slot, even most jaded die-hards were still firmly on board.

"Let's bring out the band! Let's start with the hits — let's start with the summertime hits!" If "Hungry Heart" had anyone nervous that he meant his Top 40 hits, it soon became clear that what he had in mind was the pop-song sound of summer he hears in his head. As Jake wailed away it did sound like summer, even more so as they went into "Sherry Darling." Some back and forth with Steven — "Steve, this car just ain't big enough for her and me!" "I hear you, baby, I hear you!" — evoked that impromptu version they bashed out in the studio together in the Promise doc. At this point, on a balmy night with none of the predicted rain, things just felt perfect. As did Ed Manion's sax solo.

But the Boss Theme Time Hour hits kept coming: Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues" had the horns raising a fuss and a holler, and then Bruce challenged the band yet again: "'Girls in Their Summer Clothes'! You guys remember that one? We're flying by the seat of our pants! We don't need everyone in the band to remember, we just need most of the band to remember... This is for all those fine, fine Boston girls." The sublime studio track from Magic has rarely worked well live — but after its Gothenburg tour debut and this performance, the band has a better handle on it with horns and backup singers in the mix. Hazy memories? No problem.

After that opening five-pack it was time for a little reguar show structure — but only a little: "We Take Care of Our Own" went into "Two Hearts" before "Wrecking Ball," and there was that sort of expect-the-unexpected thing all night. On "My City of Ruins" Bruce had a new story to tell, not only honoring Johnny Pesky again but also really soaking in his surroundings, and making us do the same. Springsteen has long been a fan of the older, historic venues, ones with miles on them, from Convention Hall in Asbury Park to the Sports Arena in L.A., and he was making a point of being present and aware. "What makes this place so beautiful is all the ghosts that haunt Fenway. When you're little, ghosts are something to be afraid of. But as you get older..." he said, looking around, going on to expound on a little remembrance of things past. "A night like tonight... a baseball park on a night on a night like tonight," Bruce marvelled, talking about the smell of hot dogs and beer wafting up to the stage as well as "the respite and grace that baseball and music can bring into our lives."

By the time he hollered, "Are you ready for a summer house party tonight?" we'd heard enough to know that this wasn't just a rote exhortation, that Bruce was going to work his ass off to create exactly that. He immediately began a major sign collection, grabbing plenty of rarities and goofing around along the way ("I'm disappointed in the cheapness of some of these signs, I gotta tell ya!"), and hammered home his intent: "The rest of the night's gonna be like we're playing at a picnic!"

First up — "the weirdest one first" — a sign for "Knock on Wood." Bruce didn't seem to remember that they'd played the song once before (notably, with Eddie Floyd himself in Nashville on April 29, 1976, the very night Bruce tried hopped the Graceland fence): "This has never been performed by the E Street Band... at least not that I remember!" "Boys, I hope you schooled yourself," he turned around to say, "Any self-respecting horn section ought to be able to pull this off." Which of course they'd go on to do. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like you to knock, right now, on wood!"

A horn-laden "Does This Bus Stop on 82nd Street" was "one for our old, old fans," and then we went "further back" for the second tour performance of "Thundercrack": "Back in the day, we opened up for a lot of unusual bands — Anne Murray, Black Oak Arkansas, Brownsville Station, Eagles, Chicago... Nobody knew who you were, so you had to have something that would catch somebody's ear right away. This was our first showstopper." Nils and Bruce faced off on that sweet instrumental stretch, the crowd digging all the changes as they must have back in '73.

And the jawdroppers continued: "We've got another unusual one. We've played this once on this tour, but it's one people ask for a lot." It was "Frankie." On paper, so many obscurities in a row might look like a recipe for... if not disaster, then at least wandering attentions, strange pacing, or bathroom breaks. But between the power of the band's performances and Bruce's mindful intensity, the crowd stayed hooked. He kept us enraptured — midway through "Frankie," he began speaking about writing the song at night on his front porch in 1978, bringing us back to summertime once again as he recalled the fireflies in the field. "Any fireflies out there? Light 'em up! Light 'em up!" Points of light appeared all over the ballpark as fans raised their cellphone torches. "Looks good!" A soaring guitar solo followed, the whole song performance just majestic.

And then the '78-style extended "Prove It All Night." By this point, it all almost feels ridiculous (can jaws drop further? can smiles get wider?) (and this point is as good as any to perhaps state the obvious and say that this was one of the very best shows I've ever seen, so what may sound like hyperbole, in my heart, isn't one bit. And so you'll forgive me for going on and on.) Just as stirring as Bruce's solo on the "Prove It" intro was Steve ripping it up on his guitar at the end. A killer, inense "Darkness on the Edge of Town" kept channeling that energy.

After mentioning the smell of hot dogs and beer a couple more times, at the beginning of "Working on the Highway" — a lighthearted break at just the right time, and a slight return to some setlist normalcy to ground the show — Bruce got his wish. He downed a hotdog and, his right hand strumming the acoustic intro the whole time, pounded a beer.

For "Waitin' on a Sunny Day," even the heavens were conspiring to make it a magical night. "It's raining," sang Bruce, just as the first drops came down. The rain kept up the rest of the night, and/but as most readers of this site must know, it's rare that such a thing ever actually dampens a show. "Maybe we'll get CCR" is a more common thought than "Should we leave?" and if you might have been tempted, "Backstreets" came out next to root you to your spot. The '78 "Sad Eyes" interlude is a fleeting moment fans have chased over the years, hoping for it but figuring it would never really happen again, the same way the '78 "Prove It" had long seemed out of reach. Well, it didn't happen here, either... but something arguably cooler did. As Bruce brought the band down and began to repeat "until the end," soon we were thinking about 1978 but we were also thinking about 2005, too, as he began to sing lyrics from Suicide's "Dream Baby Dream," that swirling, hypnotic staple of the Devils & Dust tour. "Dream, baby, dream," Bruce intoned over and over, "I just want to see you smile." And finally, to bring it all back around, "Dry your eyes, baby... I just want to see you smile."

In the encore, sure enough a solo "Who'll Stop the Rain" to start, which through some acoustic alchemy transitioned seamlessly into "Rocky Ground." Piling on to "Summertime Blues" and "Knock on Wood," two more classic covers in the encore futher marked this night as a standout, much like St. Louis 2008: "Detroit Medley" and, by sign request, "Quarter to Three." And if we didn't think Bruce could tap any more classic moments, he shouted out loud: "I'm just a prisoner of rock 'n' roll!"

As wet as the rest of us, he came out to the GA platform for another tribute to the Big Man on "Tenth Avenue." Curfew was more than blown by this point, but: "Boston!! That rain feels good! You're not gonna let a little rain bother you, are you? We've got one more for you!" It was one last Beantown special, and not a "Dirty Water" reprise from the night before or "Diddy Wah" or a dancing Peter Wolf, but the Celtic "American Land" — a potential anticlimax anywhere else besides Dublin, but perfectly fitting here with Dropkick Murphys' Ken Casey guesting to belt out the lead vocals with Bruce.

No cure for the summertime blues? Yeah, well, this little picnic at the park proved otherwise.

- Christopher Phillips reporting - photograph by A.M. Saddler
Last edited by Ags on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:54 pm

BBC Website wrote:
Rock legend Bruce Springsteen crowd surfs aged 62

American rock star, Bruce Springsteen surprised crowds as he crowd surfed during a performance of Hungry Heart.

Thousands of people were are the MetLife Stadium in New Jersey to see singer's latest tour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19658434
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Star in the new Springsteen film!

Postby Govangirl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:35 am

A brilliant opportunity -
Be a part of the new film 'Springsteen & I'

Ridley Scott Associates, Black Dog Films and Scott Free London, the team behind a new feature documentary entitled Springsteen & I, are calling on fans worldwide to make their own film about Bruce and what he means to them. Inspired by Scott Free's award-winning Life In A Day, the producers are now looking for fans' most personal insights, abstractions and reflections on how Bruce Springsteen and his music has affected their lives.

"We encourage you to be part of this unique cinematic experience by either submitting a clip or getting in touch with us via email or phone," says the film's producer Svana Gisla. "We are searching for a wide variety of creative interpretations, captured in the most visually exciting way you can think of, whether you've been a hardcore Tramp since '73 or have heard one of his songs for the first time today! If you have a parent, a sibling, a neighbor or a colleague who has an interesting tale, we want to know about them. If you can't use a camera or are not sure how to capture your story then get in touch and we will link you up with someone who can!"
The film is inspired by Scott Free London’s critically acclaimed feature film Life in A Day who serve as executive producers. The producers are Ridley Scott Associates/Black Dog Films and the director is Baillie Walsh.
Movie and image files will be able to be quickly uploaded through the film's website springsteenandi.com by following simple online instructions. Ideally, the higher quality the footage the better, but the producers stress that any equipment, from smartphones to hi-def cameras are accepted – as long as they are under 5 minutes in length.

Springsteen & I will accept submissions from 12:00 am GMT on November 15, 2012 through 12:00 am GMT on November 29, 2012 at springsteenandi.com, so start telling your story now!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:34 pm

You should send them footage of your class's interpretation of Thunder Road GG. I bet they would be totally inspired!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:02 pm

Ags, I'm doing exactly that! I am doing a bit for the school things plus others BUT I'M DEFINITELY DOING SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:51 pm

Well, it has been submitted!!!!!! Just got to keep my fingers crossed now!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

And Ags has informed me tonight that his 2013 tour dates have been released for Europe - Wembley and... wait for it...HAMPDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:19 pm

June 15th at Wembley
June 18th at Hampden!
June 20th at Coventry
July 16th,18th and 20th at Limerick, Cork and Belfast respectively.
2013 is certainly a year for brilliant concerts, all the big, in my opinion, band are playing the UK next year! I have Simple Minds in April, Rush in May, Roger Waters in September and Peter Gabriel in October all tickets confirmed and paid for!
I'm going to have to do the maths to see if the budget will now stretch to The Boss, just after a family holiday in early June?
It's a bit like buses, you wait ages for 1 then loads come at once!?!

fROSTY
Last edited by Frosty on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:33 pm

Too right Frosty! I'm going to see Simple Minds in April too - they are playing 5 minutes away from where I live! And I am definitely up for Belfast myself! I need someone to come on now and give all the details of when they're going on sale, etc. If not you, then Sheik or Ags!! :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:38 pm

As you have asked so nicely, 6th December.

fROSTY
Last edited by Frosty on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc