The Boss!

Have your say....

Re: The Boss!

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:49 am

Horse - the Springsteen/Morello version is simply incredible. That's exactly what I meant earlier when I thought Springsteen doesn't bring it to the crescendo it deserves. Morello does exactly that - quite simply breathtaking. :shock: :shock:

You can see Springsteen just in awe of him, he's really enjoying himself. Thanks for posting - sensational. 8)
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi Sheik,

Sorry I have took so long to answer your query but I was up the road for my nephew's wedding,and very enjoyable it was too.

Highway Patrolman and Johnny 99 are both on the Johnny Cash(who else) album, Johnny 99.

Dare I say the Man in Black does them better than the guy who wrote them? Or is that a biased opinion on my part ?
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:32 pm

Thanks for that Bill - I'll have a listen and pass on my opinion. To be honest it wouldn't be the first time I've heard JC doing a better version than the original :wink:

Where was the wedding?
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:31 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:If anyone really cares here are the two versions, plus the live one with both

Sorry but I didn't like the first one :oops:
I have to say that it doesn't add anything to Bruce's version.

The final one however was fantastic! That guy's guitar playing is awesome!
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:14 pm

Here's Springsteen murdering the classic Manfred Mann No.1 "Pretty Flamingo"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXhGxlFfk28

In reply to your query Sheik,wedding was in Highland Parish Church followed by reception at Peninver hall.
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:49 pm

Och Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was stoatin'!!!!!!!!!!!!! Classic early Bruce, meaning dripping from every word and the added bonus of his early stories which are just fantastic. Listened to it twice there it was so good!!!!!! :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:54 pm

Got out this weekend the boxed CD set 'Tracks' as hadn't listened to it for ages and OMG this just blew me away again. Pure Boss brilliance and most of these are outtakes! How brilliant is he if these are the ones that didn't make the albums?????????????? It's all so raw and deep and just so beautiful. Disc 4 is perfection itself. My favourite at the moment out of everything he's ever done. So if anyone on this forum still doubts that he's the most important composer in the field of his generation, listen to these CDs.

AND Ags - I made a mistake. On Disc 1 there's a track called 'Linda, Let me be the one' so Pale Horse isn't the only one he wrote for here!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D He must have penned that after our night under the boardwalk in New Jersey that sultry evening :oops: :oops: :lol:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:53 pm

Govangirl - I'm actually just back from a short stint in New Jersey (working) all I can say is no wonder he wrote so much about jumping in his car and driving to the promised land, because NJ certainly wouldn't feature high on the list of many places I'd want to live. :shock:

In the interest of balance I did make it north to Connecticut, and parts of it were v. nice :D
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:47 am

I've seen him in concert in New Jersey!!!! But it was rough! Looked rougher than Govan!!

But Connecticut is lovely - ALL of New England is lovely!!!!!!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:20 pm

Govangirl wrote:Got out this weekend the boxed CD set 'Tracks' as hadn't listened to it for ages and OMG this just blew me away again. Pure Boss brilliance and most of these are outtakes! How brilliant is he if these are the ones that didn't make the albums?????????????? It's all so raw and deep and just so beautiful. Disc 4 is perfection itself. My favourite at the moment out of everything he's ever done. So if anyone on this forum still doubts that he's the most important composer in the field of his generation, listen to these CDs.

AND Ags - I made a mistake. On Disc 1 there's a track called 'Linda, Let me be the one' so Pale Horse isn't the only one he wrote for here!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D He must have penned that after our night under the boardwalk in New Jersey that sultry evening :oops: :oops: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Lucky you Govangirl lucky you :wink: :wink:
We had 'tracks' out on Friday night after a bad day when the only comfort was good music and wine! Iain just mirrored your words about how truly brilliant that boxed set is! Definitely his favourite! Unfortunately our disc 4 has a big scratch on it :evil:!!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:13 pm

Extract from report in Spinner

Springsteen Evokes Ghosts of Cash in Nashville..............

Bruce Springsteen's first arena show in eight years in Music City on Thursday night drew such Nashville royalty as Kix Brooks of Brooks & Dunn, Amy Grant, Martina McBride, dobro player extraordinaire Jerry Douglas and Kim Carnes of 'Bette Davis Eyes' fame. But it was the ghosts whose true presence was felt.

Accompanied only by guitarist Nils Lofgren, Springsteen rendered a beautifully soulful short take on Johnny Cash's 'I Walk the Line,' introducing it by saying, "This man cut a few of my songs. His voice is deeply missed"
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:17 pm

I would just love to hear this - I'm sure others would too. Is there any way this is possible or will it be on youtube?
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:51 am

Well, I tried to find it on Youtube but no luck. I did come across this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzJjtDAJYHY

Not too sure about it but I liked the quote on the page from Bruce doing the Johnny Cash cover at the rock and roll Hall of Fame....

"Johnny, I wanna send out big thanks for the inspiration. You kind of took the social conscience of some folk music and the gravity and humor from country music and the rebellion out of the rock and roll and taught all us young guys that not only was it alright to tear up all those lines and boundaries but it was important. "

Wow! I love you Bruce!!!!

But going back to the clip, it was a celebration of the love between Johnny and June Cash. I know I'm going off thread here but I'm sure Bruce won't mind. Twice I've seen Truckstop Honeymoon from the States. The first was at Broadstairs Folk Week a few years ago (just Mike West) and then at Broadstairs 2 months ago, the both of them. I love them and love their music as got all their CDs. Anyway, they introduce this song about how they wouldn't want to be like Tammy and George - they're like Johnny and June. I LOVE this song! I've put it here but on Youtube the sound isn't that good, actually, not good at all. It's a great song and I often sing it loud in my car!!!!!!!!!!!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cefn3Xm4G-o

If you ever get a chance to see them - do! It's a great show!

So sorry Bruce!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:14 pm

Bruce brings a new take to the long time classic Cash song"Give my love to Rose",though obviously my preference is with the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEfe80Ty8KY
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:37 am

Wow! That was the quote I saw - brilliant to hear Brucie there! I've got a sneaking suspicion that Bill is turning into a fan :wink:

The Boss worked with some great people. How great if we had a clip of him and Cash.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc