Screamadelica

Have your say....

Screamadelica

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:45 pm

I know we did a thread last year on Scottish Albums, but I've just listened to Screamadelica again. I can't believe it's 17 years old :shock: it sounds like it could have been released last week.

Was there a better Scottish album in the 90's?

Just what is it that you want to do?
We wanna be free
We wanna be free to do what we wanna do
And we wanna get loaded
And we wanna have a good time
Thats what were gonna do
No way baby lets go
Were gonna have a good time
Were gonna have a party

Was there ever a better sample to sum up the late 80's or early 90's rave/dance scene?
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hadrians hiring! » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Sheik, I wisnae big on t' rave scene like, but before they were hardcore eckie boys, the Shamen had a cracking albumn which included ''jesus loves america ( but i dont love either)'' round about same time as Screamadelica. Can only find it on youtube now with at the start a yank who sounds like the one on Loaded saying ''ladies and gentelmen'' . I defo recall this being a far longer sample with a load of ''its time for gods people to come out of the closet, out of the churches, stand up and save America''.
Maybe we should start a thread for Ions with songs he would like! :roll:
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
Hadrians hiring!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:48 pm

You're right HH, the Shamen had some great albums before they hit the E's big time.

One of my favourite was Progeny an album entirely made up of remixes of 'Move Any Mountain', it had one of the all-time great album cover notes which said something along the lines of "We've remixed this to death, we're f**kin' bored now, so here's all the bits so you can remix the f**ker yourself!

As for songs Ionns would like, that's dangerous territory you'd be stepping into - we'll all end up in the jail :wink: :lol: :lol:
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hadrians hiring! » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:54 pm

Indeedie 8)
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
Hadrians hiring!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Screamadelica

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:36 pm

Just wondered if anyone was going to the SECC in March to see Primal Scream touring this album? :?
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Screamadelica

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:30 am

Although I managed to catch them earlier this year at the SECC, I've just been to see Primal Scream at the Barrowlands - what a gig!!! 8) :D

This was their hastily-arranged warm-up for Edinburgh's Hogmanay. I suppose tonight was also the gig for their fans - as many of the Edinburgh attendees will have bought tickets long before Primal Scream were announced.

Sadly one of Mani's last ever gigs with them before he returns to the Stone Roses. His thumping, groovy bass-lines are the core to the evening. Managed to catch the Chili's again this year - and Mani's contribution/importance to PS is exactly the same as Flea's to RHCP. Two incredible bass players who, along with their respective drummers, totally dictate the tempo and the mood. The entire concert was sensational.

It's entertaining to watch an entire album being played end-to-end - especially in these days of iTunes where it's very easy to forget that albums have a story and are put together in a certain way - as opposed to "I'll have tracks 3, 6, and 11 please"

As I now look back at Club Tropicana and think "how could I *NOT* have known the George was gay?" I also look back on Screamadelica and think "how could I *NOT* have known this album was about a drug-fuelled night out?"

From getting ready for your night, to the backdrop of the inspirational, gospel-backed "Moving On Up" ..... then progressing to the "Slip/Trip Inside This House" ....... before entering into the advice proffered by "Don't Fight It, Feel It"

We then assume you leave your house, and move into the next stage of the evening with "Higher Than the Sun" and "Inner Flight" ....... and it doesn't get any more euphoric than "Come Together" and "Loaded" at the height of your 'experience'

.... with the evening tailing off to "Damaged" and "I'm Comin' Down".

With hindsight it doesn't get any more obvious, however I was blissfully unaware of all of this 20 years ago, when I was dancing like a muppet. (Apologies to any Muppets that have witnessed me dancing!)

Seminal album, and still as hypnotic today as it was in 1991.
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc