Sweeney Todd

Have your say....

Sweeney Todd

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:28 pm

I cant understand the fuss over Depp's performance in this.

All he does is scowl the whole way through the film, and ends up more or less playing a caricature. You can see how out of place he looks at the start when he is playing Benjamin Barker, and is supposed to be happy.

I think the only reason he got an Oscar nom is because he sings (impressive if a bit onetoned). Also the Academy likely didn't want to be seen giving him an Oscar for a kid's film, but thought the performance really deserved it, so decided to bestow him with an Oscar on his next possible entrance.

I'd like him to play a role now that isn't edgy or bordering on the psychotic, just to see if he can do it.

Sleepy Hollow is one of my favourite films and i think Depp is very talented, but he needs to stop playing the same sort of characters. Maybe eschewing Tim Burton's films might help, but then again he'll probably keep winning awards, so he won't want to quit working for his muse.

That said, the film is pretty good.

I thought Josh Brolin in No Country For Old Men was much better, but Javier Bardem got a nod for that, and maybe the academy didn't want to give two male actor nominations to the one film. I also rated Emile Hirsch in Into The Wild. Off the top of my head I can't think of many other great performances I've watched this year, even though I spend most of my time and money in the cinema.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:09 pm

one of us needs to get out more, might be me. might be you, whichever, by the time i see any of those films the oscars will be long gone. despite jonathon ross stopping just short of blowing depp and burton the other night, i don't see myself rushing to see this film, never liked any of this directors other films, this one looks no better, plus its got "singing" in it, to use the term at its loosest, if i want to see a musical i'll watch grease, if i want to see mr. depp i'll watch the third POTC which i've yet to see.

as for the old men film, i'm not a tommy lee jones fan, the white mans morgan freeman, so i'll watch that one right after i get round to watching brokeback mountain

i am general jack sparrow
general jack o'niell

Postby Annie » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:17 pm

HAHAHA!

Wel everyone will be watching Brokeback Mountain now that Heath Ledger OD'd!!!
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:57 pm

Funnily enough my wife said that this morning " we'll need to watch Brokeback Mountain this weekend"
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:34 pm

well i have to go out to get to the cinema, so it must be you

still havent seen Brokeback Mountain, mainly because all my friends would rip the piss, and i havent got round to it over here (where i have no friends - pre emptive strike). I dont want to get it out now because i want to watch the film because im interested in the quality of the performances not the fact that the main actor died. Each to his own though
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:31 am

general jack o'niell wrote:i want to see mr. depp i'll watch the third POTC which i've yet to see.

Save your money and 2 hours of your life - started watching POTC 3 last night - switched if off after 45 mins - not a feckin clue what was going on. Reckon you have to watch the 2nd installment a couple of times in order for you work it out - anyway I'm clearly alot stupider the Captain Jack Sparrow :oops:
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:38 am

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:
general jack o'niell wrote:i want to see mr. depp i'll watch the third POTC which i've yet to see.

Save your money and 2 hours of your life - started watching POTC 3 last night - switched if off after 45 mins - not a feckin clue what was going on. Reckon you have to watch the 2nd installment a couple of times in order for you work it out - anyway I'm clearly alot stupider the Captain Jack Sparrow :oops:

It's more like three hours and it's rubbish. I watched it a second time just to see if it improved but the second time was when i was on a bus, so that's not three hours lost.
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:00 am

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:

Sheik--you ain't joking. That's what happens when you hit a Gold Mine, based on a theme ride in a Disney Park, and then think "OK, that wan worked, now lets see how far we can take this"

World's End was too far and Dead Man's Chest was just dead

PS Look to the second last thread in this particular section to see my reaction straight after viewing said tat. POCB3 not Sweeney.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:01 pm

Ok seeing as I am the only one here who has seen Sweeny Todd I feel I am entitled to my 2 cents.

It is a good film but it's not the best Tim Burton film - personally my favourite is Big Fish. Jonny Depp is pretty good in it but he does need to start doing some different rolls - he just seems to have the same face on in every movie. What happened to the acotr who was in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - now that was a great performance. Helena Bonham Carter was basically cast because she is Burton's wife. It has nothing to do with her singing ability which is rather awful.

I think the critics loved it so much because the film is like a breath of fresh air as I don't remember the last large box office movie that was a musical.

For a real film watch commando
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:58 pm

I think Juan Face saw it as well, Stone Cold
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:33 am

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:well i have to go out to get to the cinema, so it must be you

still havent seen Brokeback Mountain, mainly because all my friends would rip the piss, and i havent got round to it over here (where i have no friends - pre emptive strike). I dont want to get it out now because i want to watch the film because im interested in the quality of the performances not the fact that the main actor died. Each to his own though

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dmTbs_AJW_M
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:38 am

Rabmacd wrote:I think Juan Face saw it as well, Stone Cold

I he telt me after!
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:28 pm

Sweltered wrote:
A Horse called Juan Face wrote:well i have to go out to get to the cinema, so it must be you

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dmTbs_AJW_M

Whyd they leave that bit out? Still not laugh out loud funny, but at least a hell of a lot less predictable than the rest of the film.
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Indeed the funniest part of the film, and it wasn't even in it.
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Trapper » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Have you not seen chocolat fache? He doesnt play a pschycotic in that. Or Blow?well he is a wee bit pschycotic in that but it's drug induced and based on a real guy!
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Next

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc